Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most qualified/educated lecturer?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Joe Kiniry (Comp Sci) has quite a bit of knowledge floating about... According to his CV he has 2 'B.S.'s, which I guess are BScs...
    So he's got 2 BSc's (maths, and computer science) from Florida State, 2 Masters (computer science) from Uni Massachusetts and California IT, as well as a PhD from California IT.

This has nothing to do with the topic, really, but I thought I'd mention that it's commonly called "Caltech", not "California IT". (Not trying to be a smartass, I've got a few friends there and it's weird to see it a different way...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hah yeh you're right. I was actually trying to think of that... couldn't think of what it was shortened to :(

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

all time favourite lecturer, the man is excellent.

Me 3! I thought Richard Sinnott was definitely the best politics lecturer. I think Liam Delaney is the best economics lecturer now that Brendan Walsh has retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

I have to nominate the mars bar king, Henry from the compsci building, im sure that anyone else who has had him as a lecturer would agree

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Me 3! I thought Richard Sinnott was definitely the best politics lecturer. I think Liam Delaney is the best economics lecturer now that Brendan Walsh has retired.

I didn't think Liam Delaney was great, He was ok, but far too wrapped up in his own research.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Rod Gow is king in Maths - very clear and concise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Red Alert wrote: »
    Rod Gow is king in Maths - very clear and concise.

Iv heard his daughter is a complete FOX !!

Tom Garvin would be my favourite. However, I dont believe he is in UCD anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Het-Field wrote: »
    Iv heard his daughter is a complete FOX !!

Tom Garvin would be my favourite. However, I dont believe he is in UCD anymore

Well he was on a sabbatical last year and is now back lecturing in UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Um, what about Jim Heckman, Nobel laureate (economics)? I think that rather trumps all those PhD's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭sir snackbox

for english it has to be Ron Callan.... the chap is a hero!!!

of Terry Dolan... he dont like ya bein late but man does he love his middle english!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

Patrick Wall in the Public Health department is pretty awesome. He did a vetinary degree and wanted to work in africa, but they told him that they needed doctors. So he went back and did a Medical Degree. What a guy.

Then there's the conspicuous Prof Cusack. He's got a medicine degree, i'm pretty sure he has a law degree and a forensic science degree as well as being a District Coroner, Director of the Medical Bureau of Road Safety, Professor of Legal Medicine in UCD and god knows what else besides.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Fintan Costello and Joe Carty from Comp Sci to be excellent lecturers aswell

Joe has a waelth of knowledge despite only getting his PH'd 4 or 5 years ago. FI only had fintan for one module but found to him to be good, Alos i quite liked Franz Geiselbrechtinger (sP) though i found his material tough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Ah, Hugh Gough..

When I was but a wee first year, he taught us the Terror course..
    Nearly every lecture ended with an ovation from the whole of Theatre L. He was that good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭JumpJump

Timothy Mooney. Don't know how qualified he is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

One example I have this semester is Dr. Alun Carr in Metallurgy, who has a mix of academic and professional experience, and some good stories to tell about e.g. the effects of molten bubbling iron on foundry workers in Scunthorpe: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Professor Finbar McAuley......he has an Italian wife some 30 years his junior. Trump that you bastids!!!

</thread>

stereoroid wrote: »
    One example I have this semester is Dr. Alun Carr in Metallurgy, who has a mix of academic and professional experience, and some good stories to tell about e.g. the effects of molten bubbling iron on foundry workers in Scunthorpe: :eek:
    </thread>

??:confused::confused:

...the thread is finished/can be closed now, because nobody will beat Finbar McAuley.............

...the thread is finished/can be closed now, because nobody will beat Finbar McAuley.............

Ahhhhh....:D

Also, Funbar likes to take on a student in an 800m race every year on Law Day.

This guy is no ****ing joke.

Drove a Merc too, last time I checked.

We had him for Criminology, he was so ****ing bored by the class himself that he used to keep looking at his watch. One day, anticipating than an hour had passed, and being shocked to see that around 10 mins had elapsed, he took it off and put it to his ear and listened........

He does this in front of a full class. Having showed up late.:mad:

Guy was a legend. He used to describe the act of sex {during lectures on the law of rape} in flowing LATIN phraseology.

Per Vaginum, Per Anum.....etc.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

MatthewVII wrote: »
    Then there's the conspicuous Prof Cusack. He's got a medicine degree, i'm pretty sure he has a law degree and a forensic science degree as well as being a District Coroner, Director of the Medical Bureau of Road Safety, Professor of Legal Medicine in UCD and god knows what else besides.

I love Prof Cusack! Got stung by him in the funniest manner ever for a drunken radsoc drinks reception!

Oh he's also on the new health Professionals Council Board too....

Dr. Cliona McGovern Rocks too - mainly for being the most straight to the point person ever - she doesn't pull any punches as to the usefulness/ crapiness of the way some things operate in UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I've been readin the comments, there is it most qualified or best lecturer? Well for most qualified it can be any of them considering going to postgrad world is hard enough, but the land of Phd's well, we are mere mortals! One of the best lecturer's I've had this year is a toss up between Gerald Mills (the man has an eclectic knowledge of geography and can really hook you into climatology) and John Feehan from the School of Biology and Environmental Science; (well read this article link, it's from the Irish Times in 1991, it's an interview he did with Kevin Myers) trust me John Feehan will just blow your mind!

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/archive/1991/0803/Pg032.html#Ar03200:3
    430C03930EF39E0C03EC0EF

And he's from Offaly!:D

El Siglo wrote: »
    I've been readin the comments, there is it most qualified or best lecturer? Well for most qualified it can be any of them considering going to postgrad world is hard enough, but the land of Phd's well, we are mere mortals! One of the best lecturer's I've had this year is a toss up between Gerald Mills (the man has an eclectic knowledge of geography and can really hook you into climatology) and John Feehan from the School of Biology and Environmental Science; (well read this article link, it's from the Irish Times in 1991, it's an interview he did with Kevin Myers) trust me John Feehan will just blow your mind!

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/archive/1991/0803/Pg032.html#Ar03200:3
    430C03930EF39E0C03EC0EF

And he's from Offaly!:D

Does he believe in the so-called "man Made Theory of Global Warming"?? Cos if he does, he'll never get my vote!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

for english it has to be Ron Callan.... the chap is a hero!!!

Agreed. He was my favourite lecturer as an Undergrad, my rock during my Postgrad work, and has become a personal friend since. Doesn't change his jacket much and his jokes often fall flat, but he's an absolute legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Many Lecturers have qualifications up their teeth, but that doesnt mean that they are good at teaching, i can think of a well known Lecturer in the politics department with vast knowledge but poor teaching skills.

From my time i can say that the best lecturers are Steve Loyal and Kieran Allen of the Sociology Department, and Richard Sinnot from the Department of Politics.

Fantastic teacher. He doesn't patronise and always gets the material over clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BillCullen

As a BCL graduate I had Finbar for Criminal - all the stories you heard about him? they are all true, except the misinformation above about him running against students - given that i went head to head with him 3 times and was responsible for restarting his McAuley mile, he doesn't run 800m, but actualy does a mile against them.

He has a superbly erudite manner of address and is basically a living legend. If you want to see for yourself, go to the shelbourne part of stephens green and shout out 'I dont know what the law on self defence and murder is' and he will magically appear to explain. Try this a few times if he doesn't appear immediately...

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭chave

kanika kapur economics dept. is a super lecturer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Tommy McGeady, Lecturer in Veterinary Anatomy.

He doesn't even have a PhD, but is was Dean of the Veterinary College on 2 or 3 occasions and has written a book on Veterinary Anatomy. He is a world expert in Veterinary Embryology and is generally regarded as a bit of a legend in the college. He has been trying to retire since about 1850, I think he's an amazing teacher. They even named a lecture theatre after him. I don't think there is a single Vet working in the country who isn't familiar with him, good or bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 beautifulmeath

My favourite has to be Ivar McGrath; he may not have many articles but he certainly could engage his students and he's a fantastic module coordinator.

As for most qualified, I'd say Richard Sinnott, though he teaching skills are slim to none

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭LC_ugh

Kieran Allen is a fantastic lecturer! Very clear in his work.

I also liked Alice Feldman, she took no nonsense

Advertisement