Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most qualified/educated lecturer?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Surely Prof Decland Kiberd should be on the list - considered the worlds greatest Joycean. Though last I heard he was on sabbatical - has he effectively turned his back on UCD? When I had him I always got a bit of a disenfranchised vibe off him. Dont think he liked where it was going with Modularisation etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

So who is going to claim the prize? The final reply will be peer reviewed by a lesser known group of pleb lecturers, the conclusions published or at least left unscrubbed upon the library toilet cubicles, ive already applied for funding. :D As for John Feehan " and Hes from Offaly" and so is most of his work....:P automatic disqualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Morgan Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Someone told me Michael McDowell is doing the odd guest lecture.

Considering he has been:
    Senior Counsel,
    Attorney General,
    Minister for Justice,

I'd say the title would have to go to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Is there a point to this? A qualification doesn't make someone a better person. It doesn't even make a lecturer better at lecturing, unless - maybe - if it's a qualification in public speaking. This has been one of my major disappointments at UCD: lecturers who are highly qualified, and clearly love their subject, but are unable to teach it in an effective manner.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Aogan Mulcahy.

He cracks me up, and manages to keep all 505 of us not only awake, but interested.

Kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

My favourite has to be Ivar McGrath; he may not have many articles but he certainly could engage his students and he's a fantastic module coordinator.

As for most qualified, I'd say Richard Sinnott, though he teaching skills are slim to none

Have to agree here. Ivar McGrath really gives his all in a lecture. He could have up to 65 slides and is very engaging with us students.

I also like Diarmuid Ó Sé from the Irish department.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

bnt wrote: »
    Is there a point to this?

The same point every other thread on boards.ie has.
    We're not an awards committee, it's a discussion forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 katzen

Dr habil Marcus Greferathl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BryanThompson

Dr. RaRftery of Civil Engineering fame, is without doubt the best lecturer not only in UCD, but probably the country. onto it

Carlsberg don't do lecturers, but if they did....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

there are a few researchers who do not lecture but have big international reputations, one of which has over 10,000 citations, which is fairly amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Even though not meant to mention names in this forum lol.

Dr Paul-Anthony McDermot for law.

Link to his Column in the Times... http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article5438687.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 36 timo87

Advertisement