Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheists and the Census

• 26-01-2008 4:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

The 2006 census shows that there are 3,644,965 catholics in Ireland.

118,948 church of Ireland
    31,779 muslims
    175,252 have no religion
    66,750 did not state a religion.

This makes people of no religion the 2nd largest group classified.
    Why is it that we are not 'organised' or recognised as the other groups? Imagine what could be achieved politically if we did.
    Dawkins said organising atheists is like 'herding cats'. Maybe he is right.

I also think there are plenty of the so called catholics who are atheist/agnostic but automatically tick the catholic box without really thinking about it.
    I would like to see a campaign prior to the next census to raise awareness to people that they don't just have to tick the catholic box anymore.

I don't really have a point, just pointing out that there are far more of us than people think (hell, we even outnumber muslims and coI combined) and that we could achieve a lot more in unison.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Zamboni wrote: »
    The 2006 census shows that there are 3,644,965 catholics in Ireland.

118,948 church of Ireland
    31,779 muslims
    175,252 have no religion

Why is it that we are not 'organised' or recognised as the other groups? Imagine what could be achieved politically if we did.

I also think there are plenty of the so called catholics who are atheist/agnostic but automatically tick the catholic box without really thinking about it.
    I would like to see a campaign prior to the next census to raise awareness to people that they don't just have to tick the catholic box anymore.

I don't really have a point, just pointing out that there are far more of us than people think (hell, we even outnumber muslims and coI combined) and that we could achieve a lot more in unison.

Thoughts?

That says a lot. We're not sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I think disorganisation is best. An organisation of non-believers gives the theists something to aim for, not to mention it could resemble a religion itself. I think it was Hitchens that said we dont even need the term "athiest", its a bit like saying "a person who doesnt believe in astrogology".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't want to be organised.

For all we know, dis-belief in gods may be the only thing, say you and I, share in common. And I don't think that's really enough to start making placards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

No religion doesn't necessarily mean Atheist. It could be a theist that doesn't follow any particular dogma \ religion.
    You also have to take into account agnostics and people you just don't care about it either way.

IIRC there is a few hundred people you put Atheist as their religion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

How did you reach that conclusion?
    All it means is that 66,750 chose not to state a religion, perhaps they just want to keep their beliefs private.
    It does not infer that they don't have a religion.

/Edit Beaten to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Hagar wrote: »
    How did you reach that conclusion?
    All it means is that 66,750 chose not to state a religion, perhaps they just want to keep their beliefs private.
    It does not infer that they don't have a religion.

/Edit Beaten to it.

You appear to have misread the OP and not seen the line:

175,252 have no religion
    matrim wrote:
    IIRC there is a few hundred people you put Atheist as their religion
    That was mainly Scofflaw as I recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

My bad, I didn't read the post properly. Apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I put Jedi down, I wonder if they counted that in the 66,750 :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Organisation? meh.
    I'd rather see the day when they are more interested in asking about your favourite soap* than your particular favourite fairytale.

*TV based or surfactant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

in a political sense if i was the leader of a new party (the dig ireland out of a hole party) i would only want atheists to be in the party. But if i was to announce that the party was an atheist party and held that as the partys main value then maybe it would help in getting elected. The atheist party. i would like to see it as when people elect the Atheist party to government you will know that they would make much clearer decisions free from gods will and what feels right and all that holy stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

bogwalrus wrote: »
    in a political sense if i was the leader of a new party (the dig ireland out of a hole party) i would only want atheists to be in the party. But if i was to announce that the party was an atheist party and held that as the partys main value then maybe it would help in getting elected. The atheist party. i would like to see it as when people elect the Atheist party to government you will know that they would make much clearer decisions free from gods will and what feels right and all that holy stuff.

I wouldn't vote for a party just because its atheist. Plus it would never get elected in Ireland. Irish people would prefer to vote Sinn Fein into government if it would stop an atheist party getting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Byrno

If you put down Atheist as your religion the CSO classifies you as being in the "other stated religions" category. Do you really want to be in with that lot? (e.g. the Jedi's!)

EDIT: Meant to put in the link. The classification is when they put together the big tables such as: http://beyond2020.cso.ie/Census/TableViewer/tableView.aspx?ReportId=19670

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

pH wrote: »
    That was mainly Scofflaw as I recall.

Indeed...the rest of you are simply weak and infirm of purpose.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dades wrote: »
    I don't want to be organised.

For all we know, dis-belief in gods may be the only thing, say you and I, share in common. And I don't think that's really enough to start making placards.

True that.
    If we did get organized where would we begin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭williambonney

So, what are you going to be, THE NO GOD PARTY? Elect us and we will ban God, then everything will be grand.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

So, what are you going to be, THE NO GOD PARTY? Elect us and we will ban God, then everything will be grand.

Sounds like a manifesto to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Dades wrote: »

What if they said "Up with mini-skirts!"?

I believe I put down No religion on the census. I don't think atheists can become a voting block or be organised in any fashion*, there are many many different types of atheist from my experience.

*Except of course for managing to get a forum on boards.ie :D

Advertisement