Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Superbowl

• 26-01-2008 4:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭

ok, so does anybody here think the giants have a shot at beating the patriots in the superbowl?? a realistic chance?

personally, im a pats fan and i have been having this really bad feeling the last week about the game, its just too perfect, i mean, i have started having nightmares about the giants actually doing it!!!

in my head i feel the pats will annihilate them, but i just shake this horrible feeling, so does anybody else see the impossible happening?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I backed the Giants before the conference finals and I aint backing out now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I thought that the Packers had a shot of beating the Pats (Farve - Legend), and now that the Giants beat them, I don't see why they don't have a shot. Anything can happen on the day, but the smart money goes on the Pats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Im a Pats fan and I have said already that this feels like 2001 except this we are the Rams and the Giants are the Patriots. Damn I hope im wrong. Lets hope the Pats fire on all cylinders and get this done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Dr Z says they'll win so they've definitely got a chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

If they're going to win, there going to have to take there chances that they are giving.

I know it was good for them to beat the Packers but realistically that game should of been dead and buried long before overtime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

yeah, see i feel that the giants give away too many penalties and just generally arent good enough to beat us in the superbowl, but i can just feel something bad!!! i think maybe its just tension or something because this would be without a doubt the greatest achievement in NFL history, i suppose it could be just a bad case of nerves!!

i just feel the momentum is with the giants, they are on one hell of a roll, but im still not convinced about eli manning, and like i said, they give away a lot of penalties...... i remember thinking after watching the Giants V Green Bay game that neither of those two teams would touch the patriots in the final, and i hope my first instinct was right

kryogen wrote: »
    i just feel the momentum is with the giants, they are on one hell of a roll,

And the Pats arent :D:D;)

You know I think the only ones who are going to fook this up for the Patriots are the Pats themselves. I fooking hope we dont mess this up.

ahh i know we still unbeaten but i mean, the pats performances since december havent been as scintilating as before, its like the giants have the impetus, no pressure and no expectation...

i have just destroyed the giants again on my madden 08 to make myself feel better lol

ahh i know we still unbeaten but i mean, the pats performances since december havent been as scintilating as before, its like the giants have the impetus, no pressure and no expectation...

i have just destroyed the giants again on my madden 08 to make myself feel better lol

See when a team is good a team is good and get the job done no matter what so by saying that it makes me feel good and hope for a Pats win :D:D

i backed us at the start of the season to win the trophy and i dont have any second thoughts about that for a second, was just interested in what the genral opinion was of the game, i would like to have seen more giants fans come on and discuss why they think their team has a chance, or to put it in a better way, outline what they think their team needs to do to beat us, pragmatically i cant see it happening, as i said, its just a strange feeling i have!

i think the giants gave it their best shot in the last game of the season and ultimately they werent good enough, so i dont know if they can take the neccessary steps forward, i still dont rate manning particularly, i think he makes poor decisions too often and they will be exposed by an up for it patriots defense, i think the team gives away too many silly penalties, oh yeah, and we have lawrence moroney!!!!!!! he has been on fire in the play offs!!! ha even writing these things down is making me feel very positive again!!!

hmmmm, now to figure out a way to keep this thread alive till the game itself so as there wont be a need to start a new thread just before the match!

• Advertisement

was watching some press conferences with the pats tonight, it was very strange, slightly worrying i must admit!!! every time a reporter asked about bradys ankle injury the story was always the same, very rehearsed joke in which whoever was answering the question at the time said that they were going to be the quarterback for the game, laughing it off but failing to answer anything about the injury....

each one of them just replied the coach pulled me into his office and told me he wants me to be the new quarterback and we came up with some offensive plays and tom is gonna let me take the reins for this one!!!

it was all very scripted and strange, the party line obviously, very like when george bush and john kerry were asked about their membership of skull and bones, quick answer avoiding the question, laugh, quick change of subject

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

If the patriots bus crashes on the the way to the game and half the team are killed then the giants might only lose by 20 points.;)

Seriously I dont think they have much chance against the cheating scum but I hope they win it and brady throws a superbowl record 8 picks and gets a career ending injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭westair

Seriously I dont think they have much chance against the cheating scum but I hope they win it and brady throws a superbowl record 8 picks and gets a career ending injury.

This is a huge problem for the Pats with football fans - and there is no point in having this point about cheating shouted down by charges of "haters" etc. The talk in offices and even I heard football fans at the checkout my local WalMart say so. Cheaters etc. This is a fact - Bob Kraft's son has admitted to this being a perception problem. But The Krafts don't care about ethics - they care about business and repeated say so. We have not been hurt financially they repeat - and even say that the "scandal" was good for business! They are not sportsmen, they boast that the Patriots is a business and that above all else - mitigated by their gifts to charities. Look at the crazy plans for a huge "shopping mall" around the stadium. This is a business and profit is the only motive. Capitalism at work and to hell with sports ethics - according to their own testimony. Sad day for sports when this is the talk and we are the suckers supporting this.

not gonna start debating the issue your referring to cept to say, every team does what they did, nfl motto- just win

get over it

its fair enough you dont like the pats, success breeds jealousy, but to actually wish a career ending injury on someone says alot more about you then it does about the "scum" you so happily abuse who is the real scum here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Wrecking Crew

is it wrong then, to wish that out-of-control satellite falls on both teams at the start of the game? :D

If the patriots bus crashes on the the way to the game and half the team are killed then the giants might only lose by 20 points.;)

Grow up

westair wrote: »
    This is a huge problem for the Pats with football fans - and there is no point in having this point about cheating shouted down by charges of "haters" etc. The talk in offices and even I heard football fans at the checkout my local WalMart say so. Cheaters etc. This is a fact - Bob Kraft's son has admitted to this being a perception problem. But The Krafts don't care about ethics - they care about business and repeated say so. We have not been hurt financially they repeat - and even say that the "scandal" was good for business! They are not sportsmen, they boast that the Patriots is a business and that above all else - mitigated by their gifts to charities. Look at the crazy plans for a huge "shopping mall" around the stadium. This is a business and profit is the only motive. Capitalism at work and to hell with sports ethics - according to their own testimony. Sad day for sports when this is the talk and we are the suckers supporting this.

Westair someone in MA or in Foxboro must have hurt you at some point or is it just plain jealousy???

We all know Bob Kraft is money hungry heck he wouldnt be where he is today if it wasnt for that fact. But how does this takeaway from the peformance of the patriots players and coaches over the last 7 years?

Seriously dude grow the fook up. Bill Bellicheck isnt Bob Kraft. Tom Brady isnt Bob Kraft the Pats D isnt Bob Kraft, Randy Moss isnt Bob Kraft. What happens off field around the stadium has nothing to do with Players Coaches waterboys towel cleaners in fairness. They are not the fooking mob. The Krafts were the best thing to happen to the Patriots in the sense they came in with their money and built a dynasty. Do they have a right to gloat about their money well each to their own on opinion. But at the end of the day Bill and the boys are not the Krafts and have some outstanding football over the last 7 years. And you and all the other Patriot haters can try take away whatever you like from it and cry us all a river but we all know how good the Patriots have been over the last 7 years and if you cant accept it go follow tiddly winks or something oh no wait i bet the world champion there would also piss you off. GET OVER IT.

Tallagh - This isn't personal but if that is the only way you can understand stuff then there is nothing I can do about that. Your problem. I am only stating what is part of the team history and what is being said in many places. I am not getting into another stupid back and forth on this. I know you are a Pats fan and there was a time when I supported them in their previous superbowls but the shenanigans of the coaching just turned me off - and turned off a lot of other people too. This is simple fact and no matter how many times you say you don't like this - or try to find ulterior motives for this - it doesn't change these facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 SexyIrish

The Pats only cheated cos they were caught. It's common knowledge that every team does it, but you can only be cheating if you're caught at it ;)

I know what everyone's problem with the Pats is: They're the best. Everyone wants to see the best team fall, it's the same with Man Utd, they're the most hated team in England for a reason.

If the Pats win, I want it to be by a small margin, or a last minute score. I hate seeing games that are routs, they're n fun for the neutral fan.

I don't care who wins (Damn Green Bay knocked out the Seahawks :mad:) so I jus want a good game of Football!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭walt colman

Tallagh - This isn't personal but if that is the only way you can understand stuff then there is nothing I can do about that. Your problem. I am only stating what is part of the team history and what is being said in many places. I am not getting into another stupid back and forth on this. I know you are a Pats fan and there was a time when I supported them in their previous superbowls but the shenanigans of the coaching just turned me off - and turned off a lot of other people too. This is simple fact and no matter how many times you say you don't like this - or try to find ulterior motives for this - it doesn't change these facts.

Would you ever feck off and get over your sad obsession with the Patriots!!! You're fake concern for the integrity of the NFL has become tiresome, we all know your 'concern' is simply a disguise for being a hater.

Shouldn't you be at an Obama rally or somthing?

You see westair I have pointed High School and College coaches to your posts and they cant even understand what you are getting at. Your gripe at first wa the cheating and now you mention bob craft and him being money hungry. You just strike me as a person who has in fact never liked the Patriots at all and inf fact your posts do come off somewhat spiteful and personal towrds the Pats. You generalise all Pats fans as idiots and your arguments holds no substanance or backup. You continue to argue everyone is saying it or you heard it or blah blah blah but yet have backed it up with credible reference. When it comes down to personal opinion we could argue til the cows come home. Yes I am a Pats fan but honestly you annoy me as a football fan. You have jumped from one reason or another about the Pats and it seems you are unable to let go the Tape cheating incident most have moved on but you.

You know I have followed this game since the age of 12 and I have travelled everywhere throughout the States and have alot of friends in the game throughout America and this Media idea that everyone hates the Patriots is BS. Many are of the opinion that yes the Patriots are cocky and arrogant and yes I would agree with that after all 3 Superbowls and possibly a fourth on the way in 7 years anyone would. No one including Pats fans can excuse Bill of the tape incident but you know what any real football fan knows that taping incident didnt help them you would be a naive imbicile to believe it. But everyone who has a brain has moved on from the fact and got over it after all there are more important things to worry about like Superbowl 42. Do the Pats care if small things tar their rep no they dont and why would they. They learn as a team to ignore what people think and to move on and concentrate on now. If Success brings haters so be it.

Tallagh - I am not trying to be all over the map on this but it might sound like that. I have not ever said that all Pats fan are idiots. I certainly don't think so. What I am trying to say is that a "culture" gets created in a team, in a sport - even in life - where cheating becomes OK because the object is to win at all costs. This is what I don't like about this occurrence and how it was handled by the NFL. I think they handled it very badly.

In previous posts I sent in links to articles to support what I was saying - sports writers opinions - but then I was reproached for doing that so i stopped and just expressed my own view. I really don't want to get into another endless back and forth on this so will just leave it. Maybe my life experience has soured me to cheating to win so just put it down to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Any idea if ITV will have the superbowl this year? They did last year I think.

The-Rigger wrote: »

BBC have it this year (as well as SKY of course).

Shouldn't you be at an Obama rally or somthing?
    What's that supposed to mean?

jdivision wrote: »
    What's that supposed to mean?

It's a reference to his rant against Capitalism in the NFL in an earlier post.

It's a reference to his rant against Capitalism in the NFL in an earlier post.

Then I think you mean Edwards or Kucinich....Obama is mainstream - from what anyone can actually make of his speeches which are very circumspect and without much substance. .

Then I think you mean Edwards or Kucinich....Obama is mainstream - from what anyone can actually make of his speeches which are very circumspect and without much substance. .

Hey, we agree on something. :D

Here's to a good Superbowl!

• Advertisement

The-Rigger wrote: »

Do TV3 not have it?

Hey, we agree on something. :D

Here's to a good Superbowl!

Yeah...it will be a good game - all the drama etc surrounding the ankle and all is only lending excitement to the game.

BTW - don't know about the Pats but I don't think Obama is going to go all the way.

the channels that have it are sky obviously, bbc2 and tv3

not gonna bother rehashing the arguing from the last few posts, really cant wait for this! have a great NYG fan friend coming to the superbowl party this year! its great, hes from new york and we will probably end up killing each other by half time!!!

gonna have a bitter (polish):confused: packers fan too and a few more like minded pats fans, this week is going so slow!!!

lets hope both teams field full strength teams and we have a great game and the best team wins? ahem.........p a t r i o t s!!!!!!

where is everybody gonna be watching it this year??? anyone else have superbowl parties??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 alannologo

The gaints dont have a chance as they have had thier day all the teams the beat on the road played very badly and this will not happen against the Pats

Pats will win by 12 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

Tallagh - I am not trying to be all over the map on this but it might sound like that. I have not ever said that all Pats fan are idiots. I certainly don't think so. What I am trying to say is that a "culture" gets created in a team, in a sport - even in life - where cheating becomes OK because the object is to win at all costs. This is what I don't like about this occurrence and how it was handled by the NFL. I think they handled it very badly.

In previous posts I sent in links to articles to support what I was saying - sports writers opinions - but then I was reproached for doing that so i stopped and just expressed my own view. I really don't want to get into another endless back and forth on this so will just leave it. Maybe my life experience has soured me to cheating to win so just put it down to that.

in previous posts in my response to yours, I included links that were alternative to your views that it is such a big deal amongst sports writers, but you made no comment on that.

I also asked, and anyone that has a problem with the Pats and think they are cheaters, feel free to answer.

If the Pats were caught video taping the Jets from the stands, or if they had a team of coaches/officials writing down each signal and noting the down time, or illustrating each signal, how would you feel about that?

hanton12 wrote: »
    in previous posts in my response to yours, I included links that were alternative to your views that it is such a big deal amongst sports writers, but you made no comment on that.

I also asked, and anyone that has a problem with the Pats and think they are cheaters, feel free to answer.

If the Pats were caught video taping the Jets from the stands, or if they had a team of coaches/officials writing down each signal and noting the down time, or illustrating each signal, how would you feel about that?

Dude the answer is plain and simple - they broke the NFL rules - like when you break the law your lawyer doesn't give an alternative scenario to the jury to see if they would have liked that better! Do you get this - they...broke...the... rules... and the NFL said so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 SexyIrish

jdivision wrote: »
    Do TV3 not have it?

They do, aye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

Dude the answer is plain and simple - they broke the NFL rules - like when you break the law your lawyer doesn't give an alternative scenario to the jury to see if they would have liked that better! Do you get this - they...broke...the... rules... and the NFL said so.

where in my post did I say they didnt break the rules. I repeatadly said in previous posts about all this that they broke the rules, they were caught and they were punished. Now that I have answered your reply, any chance you could answer mine?

hanton12 wrote: »
    where in my post did I say they didnt break the rules. I repeatadly said in previous posts about all this that they broke the rules, they were caught and they were punished. Now that I have answered your reply, any chance you could answer mine?

I did answer and maybe you see this but don't like the answer - the reason why they are in trouble is that they broke the rules. The other word for this is cheating. There is no other narrative here but you are trying to invent one and force it into the discussion. Sad that you are trying to give this a soft landing. Broken rules don't allow for alternatives - cheating is cheating. I am not going to get into a stupid illogical tangle because you have a problem with the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Wrecking Crew

Yeah, the Patsies were caught cheating, but who cares anymore? Apart from some Jets fans, nobody. A minor slap on the wrist is all they got. The whole thing has been swept under the carpet by the NFL and the media (especially ESPN). All this hoo-ha over a perfect season is all they care about. Tom Brady's a winner, Belithief's a winner, Randy Moss is a winner - that's all that matters.

Yeah, the Patsies were caught cheating, but who cares anymore? Apart from some Jets fans, nobody. A minor slap on the wrist is all they got. The whole thing has been swept under the carpet by the NFL and the media (especially ESPN). All this hoo-ha over a perfect season is all they care about. Tom Brady's a winner, Belithief's a winner, Randy Moss is a winner - that's all that matters.

Ask yourself why goddell pushed it under the carpet?

If it gets out that a very high percentage of coaches have been cheating :rolleyes: and getting away with it, it will make the NFL look like idiots. 80% of the coaches turned on Mangini after his outburst the reason been is because he ratted on the brotherhood. Mangini was no doubt part of a group who had done this kind of thing before how do you think he knew about dont forget he rolled in Bills crew not so long ago.

Look no Pats fan will deny it well maybe band wagon and not real fans that the camera was used we as fans were annoyed but hey life goes on NFL dealt with it andwe all move asI said before there are for more pressing issues on the season like a perfect season. The pats are within their rights to ignore the crap and move on after all players and coaches need to concentrate on whats important now a perfect season with a bowl win.

So Get over it and move folks.

• Advertisement

ok westair, you are happy to call the patriots cheaters, do you accept then that every team in the NFL are cheaters then?? they all do things that break the rules therefore they are all cheaters.

the NFL philosophy doesnt actually care about cheating or bending or breaking rules, all the fans want, all the owners want, is victory, success..... thats the climate

JUST WIN

i dont mind you repeating over and over in a boring way that the patriots broke the rules in a pseudo intellectual way in which you claim to be concerned about the NFL.....its bull**** to be honest, if you are going to keep having a pop at the pats then you are being a bigot because why single out one team when all teams do it?

its because its personal, its because your a jealous bitter little guy, its nothing to do with concern for the NFL integrity, NFL and integrity really are pretty far apart in fairness, the pressure of expectation is so much in the sport of american football that breaking the rules starts in high school football...gets worse in college, and then you have pro football

i love the NFL, i accept that due to the competitiveness rules will be bent, i dont expect my team to be morally perfect when its impossible to do that and compete in the sport

do i wish everything was fair in the sport?world?life? YES but its not the way of the world so just ****in get over it, grow up and find a new hobby

ok westair, you are happy to call the patriots cheaters, do you accept then that every team in the NFL are cheaters then?? they all do things that break the rules therefore they are all cheaters.

the NFL philosophy doesnt actually care about cheating or bending or breaking rules, all the fans want, all the owners want, is victory, success..... thats the climate

JUST WIN

i dont mind you repeating over and over in a boring way that the patriots broke the rules in a pseudo intellectual way in which you claim to be concerned about the NFL.....its bull**** to be honest, if you are going to keep having a pop at the pats then you are being a bigot because why single out one team when all teams do it?

its because its personal, its because your a jealous bitter little guy, its nothing to do with concern for the NFL integrity, NFL and integrity really are pretty far apart in fairness, the pressure of expectation is so much in the sport of american football that breaking the rules starts in high school football...gets worse in college, and then you have pro football

i love the NFL, i accept that due to the competitiveness rules will be bent, i dont expect my team to be morally perfect when its impossible to do that and compete in the sport

do i wish everything was fair in the sport?world?life? YES but its not the way of the world so just ****in get over it, grow up and find a new hobby

If you really want this discussion to stop - and I do because I have said all I need to say - why do you keep putting bait out for more? Sorry, not taking this sorry bait. You'll just have to suck it all up.

If you really want this discussion to stop - and I do because I have said all I need to say - why do you keep putting bait out for more? Sorry, not taking this sorry bait. You'll just have to suck it all up.

Like me huh giving up on the whole thing :D It was fun while it lasted GO PATS :D:D

lol your unbelievabe, this is the first time i have responded to your crap!! i challenge you to find any post where i have engaged in this stupid debate with you before, suck it up? you are quite the wordsmith it see.....

anyway, good, then drop it for real, forget it, move on......

anyone have any news from the giants camp??? i havent read into much about them cause i been focusing on bradys injury and some other patriots stuff!

lol your unbelievabe, this is the first time i have responded to your crap!! i challenge you to find any post where i have engaged in this stupid debate with you before, suck it up? you are quite the wordsmith it see.....

anyway, good, then drop it for real, forget it, move on......

anyone have any news from the giants camp??? i havent read into much about them cause i been focusing on bradys injury and some other patriots stuff!

Dude me thinks he knows he is on the backfoot hovering over a cliff and challenging you will push him over the edge. :D:D

Giants are keeping quiet nothing out of their camp of significance.

Check out this vid hilarious. Remember that weird kid screaming and crying asking people to leave Britney alone now check this :D:D

:D Funny as fook

Dude me thinks he knows he is on the backfoot hovering over a cliff and challenging you will push him over the edge. :D:D

Hey..I don't know I think I did pretty good on my own driving you Pats guys crazy... that wasn't the object of it all but it turned out that way. But remember anger is no good - it drives you crazy before it reaches anyone else.

So relax and enjoy the bowl - news this morning is that Brady is in practice and only showing slight discomfort in his leg. Saw him running and he looked fine.

lol yeah it was great!!! i always enjoyed this one too, dunno if i should put it up though! someone might take it seriously or something!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntw7G7enxEk&NR=1

injury reports are out tomorrow yeah, ill be interested to see if the giants have any concerns......besides eli mannings bottle of course! ;)

Hey..I don't know I think I did pretty good on my own driving you Pats guys crazy... that wasn't the object of it all but it turned out that way. But remember anger is no good - it drives you crazy before it reaches anyone else.

So relax and enjoy the bowl - news this morning is that Brady is in practice and only showing slight discomfort in his leg. Saw him running and he looked fine.

I couldnt care less what anyone else thinks if you knew me you would know that :D Your arguments are ridiculous in parts hence why people like myself and Kryogen argue with you. :rolleyes: Enjoy the Bowl dude GO PATS:)

lol yeah it was great!!! i always enjoyed this one too, dunno if i should put it up though! someone might take it seriously or something!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntw7G7enxEk&NR=1

injury reports are out tomorrow yeah, ill be interested to see if the giants have any concerns......besides eli mannings bottle of course! ;)

What a video fooking hilarious :D:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement