Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Superbowl

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

davyjose wrote: »
    And what about the fans who have put orders in? Arrogant perhaps?
    I'm not an arrogant Man Utd supporter because I supported them through the lean years, unlike a lot of others. Similarly, I daresay there's a lot more Pats fans than there was in 2001.
    At the end of the day I've nothing against them though. I just don't want to see a team I'm not a fan of win 4 SB's in 7 years.

I obviously cant speak for American fans of the Pats, but like many Man Utd fans now, their team only existed since the Premiership began, much like the Pats only began since 2001. I got into the Pats because they were a Boston club and used to play with them on Madden, then the coverage started on network 2 back in the day, and it rolled from there.

I would admit tho that I'm far more into them now than ever before, but thats mainly to do with ever increasing media and ways of seeing the game over here now. Before you'd be relying on iffy coverage now and then, sometimes newspaper clippings, and mainly just superbowls( remember being so dissappointed in 96, first ever time I to to see them in a full game).

Then sky got involved and it started steamrolling. Broadband facilities and free live games over the interweb means you can watch every game of the season. So with the bigger input of sky over here with games, its not unusual to see people picking up with the form team at the moment. Whther or not those people stay following them is another thing, but I'm sure you'd equate that to the bandwagon following Utd. And sky tv is to blame for it all!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

Regarding the book, there's a similar book on Amazon pre-order on how the Giants beat the 18-0 Pats in the Superbowl so it's not just the Pats who are at this, as other people have pointed out it's pretty standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

6 field goals and no TD's? sounds like a boring game manny!! lets hope not!

kryogen wrote: »
    6 field goals and no TD's? sounds like a boring game manny!! lets hope not!

How they beat the 18-0 Pats, not how they beat the Pats 18-0!! :D

Although it looks like both the Pats and Giants books aren't available any more on Amazon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭walt colman

Friday before the Superbowl, time to put my for final score prediction on the record:

Patriots 38 - Giants 17

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Patriots 41 Giants 35

Patriots 35 Giants 24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Patriots 31-24

anyone hear anymore on Buress? Says now that he is missing training because of a knee problem. Missed a couple of days running now. Should the Giants be worried or will he be fully fit? LT obviously wasnt fully fit but was saying he was before the champioship game, is it similar to Buress I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 magog

Giants 42
    Patriots 35

• Advertisement

i cant give a clear score prediction for this game, i think maybe a 12 point victory for the pats though!

on the injury stuff, i would take most of what i hear now coming from both camps with a pinch of salt tbh..... could all be head games now, im sure burress will play, same as brady, if they can stand they will be on that field...

hanton12 wrote: »
    anyone hear anymore on Buress? Says now that he is missing training because of a knee problem. Missed a couple of days running now. Should the Giants be worried or will he be fully fit? LT obviously wasnt fully fit but was saying he was before the champioship game, is it similar to Buress I wonder?

I think Burress has had that knee problem all season long, there was lots of speculation that they'd rest him in the regular season game vs the Pats but he played fine in that. So he may not be fully fit but it shouldn't hold him back too much. Wouldn't mind if he was a little nicked up though, the thought of him against Hobbs scares me.

Manny7 wrote: »
    I think Burress has had that knee problem all season long, there was lots of speculation that they'd rest him in the regular season game vs the Pats but he played fine in that. So he may not be fully fit but it shouldn't hold him back too much. Wouldn't mind if he was a little nicked up though, the thought of him against Hobbs scares me.

I thought it was his ankle that was at him all season long, and he has been out with his ankle already. Bad news for them if he has problems with his knee and ankle.

hanton12 wrote: »
    I thought it was his ankle that was at him all season long, and he has been out with his ankle already. Bad news for them if he has problems with his knee and ankle.

Oh OK I didn't realise that, just knew he'd been on the injury report for most of the season, I just assumed it was for his knee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Actually, who's the home team for the match? :confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I hope Patriots are away, the White Jersey is just awesome.

I put 50 euro on the Pats to day 1:6 :o

Confidence :D

Giants are away afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Giants are away afaik

Defo going to win now!!!!!:D

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

noooooo! smelly blue jersey for pats :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

I'm sorry, I know every second person in the world seems to be a Pats fan, but their kind of arrogance just makes me retch. Am I alone in craving a Giants win on sunday? .

Definitely not alone, but it is true that the Patriots bandwagon is fully loaded now.

The Giants need to pressure Brady mercilessly, ideally with a good push up the middle and if possible without having to blitz. I think the game will be won on the lines, to win, the Giants need their D and O-lines to get the upper hand, if the Patriots get parity and Brady has time to throw, the greater quality of the Patriots receivers may tell.

The Patriots already start with the advantage of having been in the situation before, so the Giants can't let NE get off to a fast start. I'd prefer the Giants on offence first and then hopefully force NE to play catchup. The Giants also know when they reach the red zone they need TDs not FGs or they could end up losing like the Chargers did.

Whatever happens, I just hope its a good game and worthy of the name Super

• Advertisement

the problem with the giants line, O and D is penalties, they will kill them with the quality the patriots have..... also FG are no good, they arent what you need to keep pace with the patriots, you need TD's and thats exactly what the giants did get in the final regular season game, another school of thought there though is this

in the final game of the regular season, the giants gave it everything they had, they gave it their best shot, and they still couldnt stop the patriots outscoring them, their offence was fantastic that day, but the pats still outscored them!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Wrecking Crew

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1070612&srvc=rss

Never mind the book, now the Patsies are trying to trademark "19-0" and "19-0 The Perfect Season".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

in the final game of the regular season, the giants gave it everything they had, they gave it their best shot, and they still couldnt stop the patriots outscoring them, their offence was fantastic that day, but the pats still outscored them!!!

So did the Pats, that was the night Brady screwed up his passer rating for the season throwing everything hoping it would stick.

i dont really get your point davy, are you trying to illustrate further that the giants were unable to beat an underperforming patriots team even though they were full strength and going hell for leather?

brady was throwing to moss all the time cuz they both wanted to break the records, dont expect to see that this time around

?

brady was throwing to moss all the time cuz they both wanted to break the records, dont expect to see that this time around

I agree, the more I think about that game the better I feel about tomorrow. Brady was definitely targeting Moss for that game looking for the records, plus half the O-line was missing and they still kept scoring.

yeah thats whats got me positive about it again manny, remembering that, only 29 hours to go now!!!!! burress still looking like a worry for the giants and thats a definate plus for the pats, he is a huge player for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

i dont really get your point davy, are you trying to illustrate further that the giants were unable to beat an underperforming patriots team even though they were full strength and going hell for leather?

Sorry, my point is that had the Pats been 14-1 in that game, I believe they'd have lost. Thye played a very kamikaze style game (e.g Brady's 50th TD pass), which completely paid off for them. Would they have won if not for the records? Who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

Sorry, my point is that had the Pats been 14-1 in that game, I believe they'd have lost. Thye played a very kamikaze style game (e.g Brady's 50th TD pass), which completely paid off for them. Would they have won if not for the records? Who knows.

Sorry, i can't grasp your reasoning.. they played that game for all the records.. if not for the records surely they would have played in a different way, i.e more like the team they were all season and not Brady to Moss all the time for records. Surely then if they played more like their normal style they would have won easier, i.e Brady throwing to open receiver, not just to Moss...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Really looking forward to this, have the hot-dogs and nachos bought and now just have to get through a 12 hour shift in work and then its time to put the feet up.

All I'm hoping for is a cracking game. A Patriots rout will do nobody any favours. Once Manning and Jacobs keep plugging away and Strahan does what he does best on Brady, hopefully it'll come down to the fourth quarter and who wants it more.

Regardless of which team wins it'll be a great story. Pats win and its the perfect season, Giants win and its the big upset. I'm certainly not putting money on this one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DiscoHugh

where did the "where to watch the superbowl thread go"? Any more ideas?I heard an ad on the radio for a superbowl party at rendards...

Advertisement