Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Superbowl

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

One of the best 4th quarters ever. My God, my heart is still beating. That was amazing. G'wan the Giants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

kmart6 wrote: »
    Now their season means nothing cause they lost...hate that!!!!

They're the reigning AFC champs, im sure they're happy with that...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I think that was the most fascinating Superbowl in years. Best team won. Quite possibly the best play of Superbowl history to win it (Manning evading imminent sack and Tyrees UNBELIEVABLE catch). What a game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

My heart goes out to Bill Belichick though... Poor Guy

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

How the hell does ELI MANNING evade a sack like that and have the nerve to produce that kind of throw!??!?! What a catch aswell. What a quarter of football.... I backed the Giants to win the Superbowl before the Packers game - I dont know why because I never expected them to get there, let alone win it, im in bloody disbelief!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Great finish ,edge of the seat stuff.
    Manning really went for broke with some high risk passes .
    Delighted the Giants won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,154 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Manning got the MVP anyway, deserved it as much as anyone really, though all in all it was an amazing team performance.

Time for sleep I think, not looking forward to work in a few hours...

Congrats Giants and Giants fans!

Archimedes wrote: »
    How the hell does ELI MANNING evade a sack like that and have the nerve to produce that kind of throw!??!?!
    Talk about stepping out from under his brother's shadow. Greatest Superbowl play ever surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

American football noob here but great drama and excitement, unbelievable throw from Eli Mannning and catch from Ty whatsisface, its what sports all about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

only word to describe that finish is WOW

amazing play from Eli to Tyree to set up the game winning play

still haven't gotten my breath back

well done Giants

from a 49ers fan

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Brady must have got up-ended 20 times :/

Heartbreaking loss for a Pats fan, but well done to Eli and the Giants...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i am currently holding back vomit at the result

i said previously that i had a bad feeling, but jesus

i havent seen the patriots o line play that bad, i have never thought the giants defence could play that well...the were fantastic

and one final moan, the decision to leave burress one on one with hobbs with that last play was shocking.....im gutted......

the giants wanted it more and deserved it on the day, i do still think that that patriots team is the best team in nfl history though, just didnt do it today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

THAT WAS SOME MATCH!!! I've only been looking at Af for the last 3 months bit of a rugger head here and backed Giants since i've been looking
    alg_manning-passes.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I still cant believe Manning avoided the sack and made that pass. He made some awful decisions and throws leading up to it, but my God, fair play to him for that. What a bloody marvellous play.

And if you had told me that Brady would have got sacked 5 times before this match, I would laughed in your face and insulted your mother. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Probably not the appropriate place to be saying this (seen as your all pro NFL), but, to all the cnuts this side of the pond who bitch and moan about America Football, "theres too many breaks, its too slow, the rules are gay....etc. etc.,

THIS IS WHY I WATCH FOOTBALL!

On a sideot, I spent the summer in NYC, and got a taste for Yankee mania with the baseball, even managed to get to a pre-season Giants game, but I would kill to be back there now. New Yorkers are sports fanatics, and back their teams to the hilt. The craic will be savage there tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

All the matches caught up with them. Pats team looked tired. In hindsight, losing to the colts mind-season would of probaly been best for them.

Was great too see BB storm off, such a sore loser. Delighted for Randy Moss aswell.

I bet tiki Barber is regretting retiring now.

gcgirl wrote: »
    ELI MANNING YOUR A LEDGE

Quoted for truth.Was with 11 Massachussets people for the game.Having spent the sumMer in NY, I was going for the Giants.Laughing at me in the 3rd quarter.What a sweet result!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,315 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Wasn't on this thread all night. Superb tight game. Unbelievable finish.

Just thought this was funny. Posted during the game
    DaBreno wrote: »
    The Giants are appalling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

that comment about Bill is unfair chucky, he went straight over and hugged the Giants coach as soon as the pats missed the 4th down conversion at the end

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

Kinda happy with the season got to see the Superbowl Champs play in London :-)

Looking back from that game they did some serious work to get to were they are tonight!

Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Man oh man, what a finish. That 4th quarter was 1 of the most tension filled periods of any sport I have ever seen. I was literally on the edge of my seat for it and I am not using just the cliche there.

Giants defence were just incredible. Brady and the ol just looked like a shadow of the team that had played for the rest of the season. The ravens team that won Superbowl 35 have been acredited with best defense but the Giants really put their name in the hat for that acolaide. If ever a coach deserved an MVP then defensive coach should have gotten it for putting together that game plan.

And David Tyree, jesus what a catch, what a plan by Manning, how did he not get sacked. I have been watching a bit of Americas game on Sky (great show btw) and it was like that was unfolding in front of my eyes. You can almost see the interviews with Eli and Coughlin now talking about how they overcame all the adversity to take it down.

It's a shame I think that the Patriots didn't go unbeaten, they were a hell of a team and I think they would have deserved it but have to give credit to the Giants. They outplayed them when it mattered.
    As a packers fan it also hurts realising what could have been but above all else what a game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Neurohacker

kryogen wrote: »
    i do still think that that patriots team is the best team in nfl history though, just didnt do it today

Even before yesterday's game, there were valid questions hanging over the Pats claim to be the most dominant team ever. For much of the earlier part of the season, they played some of the best football ever seen, but going into the latter part of the season and the playoff's they just looked highly impressive - not unbeatable.

Look at the record in their 2 playoff games before the superbowl:
    Patriots 31, Jaguars 20
    Patriots 21, Chargers 12
    Average margin of victory : 10 points

Compare that to, for example, the scores of the pre-Superbowl playoff games of the '85 Bears (I'm not a Bears fan for the record):
    CHICAGO 21, N.Y. Giants 0
    CHICAGO 24, L.A. Rams 0
    Average margin of victory : 22.5 points

The media loved the idea of the Perfect Season and piled on the hyperbole, but in time, I really don't think the evidence will support the idea of the Pats being the best single-season team ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

As a Pats fan, firstly have to say well done to the Giants. I never in a million years thought they would win away to Dallas, Green Bay, and New England. They did it the hard way and deserve the acolades. Their defence was unreal, and they had so much pressure on Brady it was like there was no O-line.

Am gutted tho. Absolutely gutted. They cant be considered the best team ever, you have to finish the job. If Brady doesnt get another ring he'll have that cloud hanging over him. I watched a video on the Baltimore Colts who lost to the Jets in the 70's in the other real big upset. The players were saying how even tho they got a ring some years after that, they still regretted that game so much, and this will hang over the Pats team. They choked on the biggest day, and it is so unlike them.

Its a game of inches. One interception by Samuel, one sack on third down, an incomplete pass on third down and we might be saying something different. But those inches fell the Giants way, and they deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

am so bloody bummed over last night's game!! only managed to watch the fist half as was late and the game looked like it was going terrible. poor brady got caught a few times so not like him. poor result for their unbeatable season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Wrecking Crew

that comment about Bill is unfair chucky, he went straight over and hugged the Giants coach as soon as the pats missed the 4th down conversion at the end

And then ran off before the game had actually finished. You're supposed to stay to the end. Yes, it was just one play to go, but the game wasn't over. To run away like that was a disrespect to the Giants.

Once again, Belithief shows he is a classless, arrogant jerk.

And I am loving this:
    barber_lg01.jpgnelson-haha.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

hanton12 wrote: »
    As a Pats fan, firstly have to say well done to the Giants. I never in a million years thought they would win away to Dallas, Green Bay, and New England. They did it the hard way and deserve the acolades. Their defence was unreal, and they had so much pressure on Brady it was like there was no O-line.

Am gutted tho. Absolutely gutted. They cant be considered the best team ever, you have to finish the job. If Brady doesnt get another ring he'll have that cloud hanging over him. I watched a video on the Baltimore Colts who lost to the Jets in the 70's in the other real big upset. The players were saying how even tho they got a ring some years after that, they still regretted that game so much, and this will hang over the Pats team. They choked on the biggest day, and it is so unlike them.

Its a game of inches. One interception by Samuel, one sack on third down, an incomplete pass on third down and we might be saying something different. But those inches fell the Giants way, and they deserve it.

I have to say I agree with all this. You can't be the best or most dominant if you don't win it all. I wouldn't say the Pats choked, the playcalling went a little astray but the Giants D was excellent. However, if Moss comes back and a couple of new LBs are found either in the draft or free agency, this Pats team will be back in contention next year and they will not be happy. This year's motivation was the loss to the colts in the championship game last year, I'm sure they'll take this game and do the same thing.

Reading the last paragraph brings it back again how the Pats couldn't close out that last Giants drive. They've played this bend but don't break, give up the small yards and eat up the clock style of defense all year, and then they blow it all by leaving Hobbs one on one with Burress in the red zone. Crazy stuff. I haven't been able to bring myself to watch that play again, but I guess they blitzed Manning one too many times and left all the room in the world deep.

Finally, I'm still in shellshock at what happened, but well done to the Giants, they completely deserved that win. Great game-planning, and while the breaks went their way in the game (how did every fumble bounce back to them??), they did what they had to do. Roll on next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

My god! My heart was in my mouth for the last quarter. I don't think I've experienced such a tense ending as that game.

As a Giants fan, I am over the moon with that win. I've had a feeling in my stomach since the end of the regular season that they were going to go all the way and I was right! :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055215391

Giants defence was superb. The pressure was being piled on Brady every chance possible. 5 sacks and a hell of a lot of pressure really shook Brady up. A few crunching tackles that put him off his game for a large part of the game. But, Brady is such a class player that he still pulled a few good drives out of the fire.

Manning had a lot of luck with a few of those plays that came off. The winning TD pass was nothing short of amazing. The previous one that went about 40 or 50 yards for the catch by the receiver (can't remember who caught it) was fantastic! Wriggling out of 3 defensive players to throw that ball!!! Legendary stuff!

Very, very close game and to be honest, I think the Giants did shade it and deserved the victory. My god! I wish I was in New York last night! Ah! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

I think that was more confusion than anything else. Most people thought the game was over. Officially they had to make the last play to run down the clock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Was in the Woolshed last night for the game, some atmosphere i'll tell ya!!

A lot of "Patriot Haters" in there (myself included :D) supporting the Giants. It was pretty much Pats fans versus all other 31 teams fans. Which made for a great night, especially considering the result!!

That 4th quarter will go down in history for sure, biggest upset of all time as well.

I still can't believe Eli got away from that sack then tossed it to Tyree, that play just made the game for me.

Woo, go giants!! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭westair

, i do still think that that patriots team is the best team in nfl history though, just didnt do it today

By what measure.... by what measure??? The superbowl IS the measure and they failed. Didn't see one commentator after the game agreeing with you. Watched ESPN, FOX, NFL and not one said that they were the best. They failed in the final test. Just saying that they are the best and putting that spin on don't make it so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

I think that was more confusion than anything else. Most people thought the game was over. Officially they had to make the last play to run down the clock.

Sure. Belichick, a man who has coached at the highest level for decades, was 'confused' about the clock.

BTW, his Defense went out on the field for the last play. Belichick was running down the tunnel at that point.

i do still think that that patriots team is the best team in nfl history though, just didnt do it today

The most overhyped team anyway. Though not their fault, but the media has been throwing accolades at them before they won anything. I think we can conclude that they were the best team from the AFC this year, that's about it.

Just watching the repeat on Sky. The Giants made a LOAD of 3rd Down conversions thanks to Eli making plays. He really did deserve that MVP award.

I don't think the Pats are the greatest team ever. They are a great team alright... but they didn't win the Superbowl. Compare them with the 85 Bears, who also went 18-1, except they actually won the Bowl and demolished opponents consistently throughout the season. The Pats seemed to taper off towards the end of the year - possibly because opposing coaches had time to figure out how to stop that offense.

IMO the best team ever was the 1989 Niners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

Very disappointing game :( Fair play to the Giants. They were a better team than we were yesterday. But it was an exciting season for Pats fan anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

eZe^ wrote: »
    Its so crazy that a stadium as fantastic as this belongs to university...

they're actually the sponsors of it. They paid for the naming rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

So its that time of year again where I've really enjoyed a Superbowl and have regrets about not watching more of the regular season, and now have to wait 7 months for more!! :rolleyes: Is the ProBowl on next weekend? If so, is Sky or anyone else showing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Yes it's on and Sky are showing it at 1am Monday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

18-1* :D:D:D

Great game by Giants D, Brady hadn't seen pressure like that all year and it showed.

The concern in the build up had been that Manning would throw the game away through turnovers, how ironic then, for him to be named a worthy MVP.

Great also to see the Superbowl on the line right down to the last few plays.

It might also mark the last NFL game for several players from last night, as I'd be surprised at the very least to see Junior Seau or Michael Strahan back next year.

Fizman wrote: »
    <snip>and now have to wait 7 months for more!! <snip>

Yeah its a long break alright.... Its one of the downsides of the way the season is played, but on the other hand its a hell of a 4 or 5 months when the season is in full swing :p

Tell it to Brady and Moss. Two guys who can leave with their heads held high, all things considered: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8562-NFL-New_England_Patriots-Super_Bowl_XLII_Randy_Moss_Teaches_Bill_Belichick_Early_Exit_Technique-040208

I stand corrected....

The most overhyped team anyway. Though not their fault, but the media has been throwing accolades at them before they won anything. I think we can conclude that they were the best team from the AFC this year, that's about it.

It's hard to overhype a team who hadn't lost and broken tons of records for a season both individual and team and won the awards best player and coach of the season tbh.
    Note, I am Packers fan before someone says I am biased fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

westair wrote: »
    By what measure.... by what measure??? The superbowl IS the measure and they failed. Didn't see one commentator after the game agreeing with you. Watched ESPN, FOX, NFL and not one said that they were the best. They failed in the final test. Just saying that they are the best and putting that spin on don't make it so.

the superbowl is the equivelant of the fa cup ,the premiership determines the best team that year.that says it all,patriots are the superior team,stupid system imo

dc69 wrote: »
    the superbowl is the equivelant of the fa cup ,the premiership determines the best team that year.that says it all,patriots are the superior team,stupid system imo

It's an interesting point that. First of all the giants are the champions and nobody can say different and forever more that shall be but overall over the context of the season as an average I still think the Patriots are the best team of 2007-2008.

I think overall that a knockout based competition such that the NFL uses is more likely to produce less worthy winners if you will and teams that are actually not the best over the course of a season. I think campring it to the NFL to FA cup is not valid, the champions league is much more valid comparison. When Liverpool and Porto won it I refuse to accept that they were the best team in the compeition over the course of it. People get easy draws, certain key decisions going with them etc.

I think a league based format is much better for deciding the true best team so something like the premiership, la liga etc. The best teams are going to win that pretty much always but is a fundamentally less exciting system. You just can't beat a winner takes all finale like the champions league final or Superbowl especially a match like last nights Superbowl.

So it depends on what you want really.

Yeah a comparison to the Champions League is more accurate for sure...

dc69 wrote: »

By that reckoning then, 2 of the 3 Patriots SB's are null and void . And the cowboys are just as good. You can't have it both ways. Either the team that tops the leagues are the best or the Superbowl winners are. You had no problems claiming that in '02 and '04! :rolleyes:

Sorry, make that '02 & '05

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Advertisement