Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hill Gradient

Options
  • 26-01-2008 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

I would like to know how to work out the gradient (%) on this.
    The bottom of the hill according to my sat nav is 41m the top is 95m
    and the distance according to my car is .8 mile.

At the top of the hill it tiurns and joins another one which goes to a height of131mt with 1.6mls from the start

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Gradient is vertical distance (known = 54m) divided by horizontal distance.
    While the horizontal distance is not known, at small angles it can be taken to be equal to the hypotenuse (known = 0.8mile = 1280m) [remember this assumption from the pendulum method of calculating 'g' in Leaving Cert Physics].

So, gradient here is 54/1280 = 0.0421875.
    Do a 1/x of this to get 1:23.7.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

for a start convert everything to metres then you are on your way, work out how many metres rise for metre of distance and then change the fraction to %.

fecks sake! what are the chances that after a day of no replies someone will post a much more useful reply just when you decide to? i'm not happy with the moderation of this forum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

copacetic wrote: »
    i'm not happy with the moderation of this forum!!
    Careful how you go now! :p

Advertisement