Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tire + tube

Options
  • 26-01-2008 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering what it will cost to replace my tire + get a new tube in a bike shop?
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Tube should be around €4, tire will depend on what kind of tire you get. You should really be able to replace them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

As he says, a tube will be about four quid. If it's just a basic get-around-town type of a bike, then I'm sure ten or fifteen quid will get you a new tyre. Labour would probably be another tenner or so.
    abbey wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering what it will cost to replace my tire + get a new tube in a bike shop?
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you are unable to change a tyre or fix a puncture then it might be worth investing in puncture resistant tyres. They cost more but if you are paying people to fix punctures it is well worth it. Even if you are good at doing these things they are a good investment. They are not puncture proof, but help bring them down, though some would appear very hard to puncture, but the trade off is extra weight, which might not bother some people, if only exercising.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18832

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭abbey

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies,
    got it done today.....32 which I thought was a bit steep, I think maybe it's time to start fixing my own punctures, surely it can't be that hard?!

A

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Its not hard at all, just buy a set of tyre levers (about €1) and a puncture repair kit (€2) then just look at one of the guides online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'd say forgo the puncture repair kit, and just carry a spare inner tube -they're only about 4 quid each, and I'd rather change it straight out that repair it, then change it later (most folk don't repair punctures well, so you still tend to get slow leaks).

Also, I'd recommend a track pump -may cost you 40 quid, but it's the easiest and quickest way to get up to pressure, particularly for road bikes, and the pressure gauge is dead handy to have!

Advertisement