Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Irish....!!

Options
  • 26-01-2008 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hey I was wondering does anyone have any tips on how to study honours irish.... Like you can read over and over but that doesn't help me at all....

So I was just wondering how the rest of you do it....??? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

phrases. so much goes for the saibhreas na teanga ( im about 3 years out of school, so im pretty sure my spelling's gone to crap), but i just went over and over my phrases the teacher gave, the ones you find at the end of chapters in the text book etc.

after that, just revise the different themes of your poems and stories etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭nc0987

hey, im in honors too and i find irish pretty difficult. but if, like me, you havnt got that natural flow of irish, learn phrases of my heart. they fill up a page and look great at the start of a sentence. little things like ar ndoigh (of course...) and chun an fhirinne a rá (to tell the truth...) are great. start gathering a collection of them after the mocks and learn a few by the end of each week. after that just focus on grammar, maybe get an irish grammar book and set urself exercises. watch TG4 now and again, actually has some good programmes in irish. seacht on saturday night is pretty good. and take an exam question in ur free time (yeah, i havnt got much of that either...) and maybe ask ur teacher to correct it? try it out anyway, anythings worth a shot. ive only recently started a phrase collection but even now i can see how much i'll be able to use them once i know them off by heart.
    Good luck with it, after this year its byebye irish!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I just learned all the stuff from the poetry off, and bullcrapped my way through the rest of it and walked out with an B, Im sure I could have gotten an A if I tired, but I wasnt too bothered, its worked out for the better anyway cos the teacher doing top honours is apparently pretty bad and the teacher I have at the mo is class, so life is good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

id reccomend really trying with the oral and aural not only will it help with the grade but it will also help with your ability with the language

if you hate irish do not do honours and complain!
    tbh i think honours is there for people who have a flair for the language or genuinely like it.

(i am NOT accusing anyone of saying they dont like it just stating something)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

I know when i did the LC, bullet points on record cards for poetry and pros helped me alot. Also learn an opening paragraph and ending to a social problem essay. I did it and i got a B1!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

I love honours.
    Got a B1 last yr, hoping to get an A1 this yr (I'm repeating)
    I've found the best thing to do is write out the summary of the stories over and over till you know it off, same goes for the leagan prois with regard to the poetry. As said above phrases are extremely important, I believe there are some at the top of the topics list.
    Even with the basics such as watching TG4 for say 30 mins a day or listening to RnaG will help.
    Go over all of the past tapes, and try to get your hands on a good listening comprehension book, such as Cogar I gCluas, funnily enough my teacher co-wrote it :L:L

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

I seriously abhor irish . I dont have the natural flair for it, i think the course is a load of bollocks too. It doesnt teach you irish, it tries to teach you how to pass an exam, and fails of course. You can get a B from bull****ting, and you can get an A if you have been raised on it and love it. hello B. Its not fair at all..

question : how can i improve my oral..I have been told to write out all of my questions and memorise by heart but surely thats exactly what they DON'T want you to do in an oral , no?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Although I'm fluent, Irish is possibly the subject I hate mostly. The poetry, pros and stair na Gaeilge is a waste of time because it teaches you absolutely nothing and whats the point in making people who know very little about a language learn about poems, it's not like that in French or German like. Anyway, my teacher says An Cearrbhach Mac Cába and Fiche Bliain ag Fás and/or Clare Sa Spéir come up and in poetry Gealt, Bímse Buann ar Buairt Gach Ló... and I forgot the other one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 konawi

I think the best way is just to practice speaking it a lot !! The more you speak it the easier you'll find it to write as well as you won't have to think as long/hard and it'll give you extra time in the exam also. Also, if you do get the chance to talk to others Irish you'll actually get to learn new ways of saying things which may be easier than what you previously thought !
    The think wtih Irish is is it's not one of those subjects that people sorta talk about... with Maths, people discuss problems and figure out hwo to solve it etc, in English people talk about the books etc... in Irish all people do is complain about it.. in english ! So you're not getting that extra practice - well that's my experience anyway.

loadsa places out there where you practice - colleges, cafés, even some night fclasses if you're that worried. Or even some of those online Irish oral lessons would be handy cos you can do it all through skype, something like gaeltalk.net or something !

good luck!

Advertisement