Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Jumbletown ok?

Options
  • 26-01-2008 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

I've put a couple of things up on Jumbletown, but all the answers seem to be from people who want them for... commercial reasons. I was expecting ordinary folks who needed the stuff.

Have people here had ok experiences advertising there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

Do the Vincent de Paul not collect old furniture and give it to old people who need it? Might be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭eliza64

hi i am a great fan of jumbletown as both a giver and taker .anyone i have delt with seamed genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

luckat wrote: »
    I've put a couple of things up on Jumbletown, but all the answers seem to be from people who want them for... commercial reasons. I was expecting ordinary folks who needed the stuff.

Have people here had ok experiences advertising there?

I agree, I gave away a car 2 years ago and saw it for sale by a roadside dealer a few weeks later. To be fair, they don't claim to be a charitable organisation, rather that they want to stop usable things ending up on the tip and you don't have to give the items to anyone you don't want to. I think dealers have people trawling the site day and night because the same names appear again and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Well, I suppose no harm for scavengers to be taking stuff for free... I'll try Simon or Threshold or Focus, maybe, though. One of the people who answered turns out to run a business that revolts me...

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

Ideo wrote: »
    Do the Vincent de Paul not collect old furniture and give it to old people who need it? Might be an option

from what i remember they dont collect it anymore, probably sick of getting junk from other people.
    eliza64 wrote: »
    both a giver and taker .

had to have a little giggle :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

I have given stuff away on these sites and found it very satisfactory.

I think that the objective is NOT specifically to help the less well off. If is about preventing waste.

I gave a telly away a few months ago and the taker had a signature on his email.

He worked for a major bank and was a "Wealth Management Consultant" !! ... not too poverty stricken I would imagine !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

dewsbury wrote: »
    I think that the objective is NOT specifically to help the less well off. If is about preventing waste.

Oh, sure. But there are some people to whom I wouldn't give anything willingly. And that would include wealth management consultants, have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭lizzyd66

It is your choice who you give it to so you can look at their past posts and get an idea of who they are from that. There is one guy who collects a lot of TVs, stereos etc , I presume he repairs them and sells them on. I have no problem with that but the last few items I had, even if he was the first to reply , I have given to someone else who wants the item for their own use. I love the site , it is great to save things from landfill. I've also been given great things from it - most of my furniture is either from jumbletown, freecycle, boot sales or passed on from rellies (saves on a burglar alarm too as we have nothing worth stealing). It is all lovely stuff and has saved us a small fortune!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

We were giving away a kitchen table and chairs recently and did something similar. The first reply was from someone who seemed to be making a living from jumbletown so the post was ignored in favour of someone who's history showed they were actually looking for what I was giving away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 TheGrinch50

I also posted quite a lot of stuff on Jumbletown. Once, a guy called with a van and a couple of kids. While I gathered all the stuff to give to him, his kids ran wild throughout my house. He then asked me not to bother posting any more items on the site but to phone him instead and he would take whatever he could sell. Some cheek! Well, I have since discovered an excellent site and I can either give my items for free or sell them. The site is: www.itsinmyway.com There's lots of interesting forums on the site too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

there is also freecycle which is quite a good service. not as much stuff goes on it as jumbletown but every offer on it is genuine. its moderated fairly heavily to stop people mooching and you can only post a request if you have a greater number of items donated than requested

they even email out digests with articles of note like today's

Taken: Graco Rear Facing Infant Seat with Base From: marissamcl 2. Offered - gas fire From: urbanachiever1 3. OFFER:Singles From: roni_1309 4. OFFER: Play station 1 From: roni_1309 5. OFFER: Tummy cruncher From: roni_1309 6. OFFERED: Dell Computer From: saorbaba 7. Wanted - Oven door glass From: disantlion

I like the crowd and recommend registering

That's a great idea mawk. I don't like jumbletown because the same people are asking for everything. Actually I got banned from the site because I sent a pm with a link to itsinmyway.com. The person I sent it to had an item of jewellery stolen and she put a request for a similar item on jumbletown. I thought she might get a replacement if she posted a request on another couple of sites. However, the admin reads the pms and I got banned for trying to help. They are so pathetic! I forgot to tell her to post on adverts but I will mention it to her now. I am having a clearout so I will start posting it on adverts and the site you mentioned but I will stay clear of jumbletown.

dewsbury wrote: »
    I have given stuff away on these sites and found it very satisfactory.

I gave a telly away a few months ago and the taker had a signature on his email.

He worked for a major bank and was a "Wealth Management Consultant" !! ... not too poverty stricken I would imagine !

I was giving away a set of bunk beds on itsinmyway.com and somebody saw that a person was looking for a set on jumbletown. They posted the link so that the person could ask for them and within minutes the admin on jumbletown deleted the post. I don't think the admin on jumbletown are interest in preventing waste. Running the site is just a job for them and they don't want competition.

mawk wrote: »
    there is also freecycle which is quite a good service. not as much stuff goes on it as jumbletown but every offer on it is genuine. its moderated fairly heavily to stop people mooching and you can only post a request if you have a greater number of items donated than requested

they even email out digests with articles of note like today's

Taken: Graco Rear Facing Infant Seat with Base From: marissamcl 2. Offered - gas fire From: urbanachiever1 3. OFFER:Singles From: roni_1309 4. OFFER: Play station 1 From: roni_1309 5. OFFER: Tummy cruncher From: roni_1309 6. OFFERED: Dell Computer From: saorbaba 7. Wanted - Oven door glass From: disantlion

I like the crowd and recommend registering

mawk, could you let me have the name of the site in your post, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mawk, could you let me have the name of the site in your post, please.
    Guessing it's http://www.freecycle.org/

Brilliant! Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

However, the admin reads the pms

Are they aware that that's illegal? Or at least potentially illegal. Admins here don't read pms unless given express permission by the recipient and only then in cases of abuse/harassment afaik. Private messages are exactly that - private.

You could be right Macros42. Now that you mention it, it could be classed as an invasion of privacy. However, I can't prove that they read my pm and if they didn't, then I was banned from the site for no reason. I was always very loyal to them and I gave away qaulity items which I could have sold. I even got my daughter to advertise their site on her own website, but that's the thanks I got. Ah well. Live and learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Macros42 wrote: »
    Are they aware that that's illegal? Or at least potentially illegal. Admins here don't read pms unless given express permission by the recipient and only then in cases of abuse/harassment afaik. Private messages are exactly that - private.

I'd never assume anything I post on the internet is private.

It's not illegal.
    It's their site, it's their DB, and you agree to it when you sign up.
    6. the User agrees that in providing matter to the Web Site, the User provides to the owners a perpetual and irrevocable right to use and manipulate (in any way that the owner thinks fit and at their absolute discretion) the said matter, in respect of which in all cases the User warrants that he has every right and entitlement to furnish that said right to the owner.

There's nothing in the description of PMs to indicate that they can't be read by admins.

All that said, it does seem that they're a bit over-zealous in deleting all mention of similar websites.

MOH wrote: »
    I'd never assume anything I post on the internet is private.

It's not illegal.
    It's their site, it's their DB, and you agree to it when you sign up.

There's nothing in the description of PMs to indicate that they can't be read by admins.

All that said, it does seem that they're a bit over-zealous in deleting all mention of similar websites.

I just tried to help another person who was desperate to find a replacement for a piece of jewellery that was stolen, and I did this by way of a pm so that it wouldn't seem like I was spamming the site. My IP address was blocked as a reward for being so helpful. I can't think of anything more petty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I just tried to help another person who was desperate to find a replacement for a piece of jewellery that was stolen, and I did this by way of a pm so that it wouldn't seem like I was spamming the site. My IP address was blocked as a reward for being so helpful. I can't think of anything more petty!

Sorry, wasn't disagreeing with you, I think it's extremely petty.
    I was just saying I didn't think it was illegal, as Macros42 had claimed.

Would definitely put me off using them if that's their attitude.

Somebody somewhere must have made the admin on Jumbletown aware of this thread as I have now been reinstated as a member. No email, no pm and no apology! Well it just doesn't work like that. I will never use the site again. I think Boards and Adverts are about the best sites on the web and I intend to stick with them. I will of course give some support to itsinmyway.com as the admin there are extremely friendly, nice and helpful. It is also a great site for having a bit of a banter and it's great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I found most Jumbletowners were based in the East of the Country... the west was really missing out... I didn't really like the freecycle site (it's a yahoo group), it didn't have layout, no photos, you didn't know what you were getting, but boy it's effective if you're trying to de-clutter. It has so many members.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭GavinZac

Jumbletown is great but I can never get my hands on things first. I wish they'd make an RSS feed for Cork.
    Macros42 wrote: »
    Are they aware that that's illegal?

No its not - PMs, in vBulletin at least, like this very forum, are stored as plain text in the database and can be read by anyone with access to the database. vBulletin itself doesn't give direct access to the database but its extensions can do so.
    Private messages are exactly that - private.
    Essentially nothing on the internet is actually private - you're at the mercy of policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kandeekan

I would just like to say, that there is some thing more petty, as stated on thread, but its not about jumble town, i think jumbletown is the best site for free items, they treat their users extremely well, its a great site and easy to use and also fun, i love it and have reccommended it to my friends and family.
    I use it to find replacement items for my household, its very usefull. i was looking for a kettle and a toaster which i definately need, but it had none at the time, so i saw an add in my supermarket for itsinmyway thought id try it, see what it was like, way bad move, in my opinion they are very very PETTY in the extreme, its a hard site to use i thought, as im not very computor literate, i didnt think i had registered right so i tried again........ result ? i was PERMANENTLY banned on the spot !! so much for helping new users.
    I wish them all the luck with their site, because with their treatment of new users, they will need all the luck in the world, i would never recommend itsinmyway to anyone in case they are treated the same.
    I think i will stick with user friendly, helpfull sites like jumbletown, who respect their users and stop greedy people promoting other sites, thanx for reading,
    kandeekane.

sorry dudara, i was just very heated at the time. thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

kandeekan Can you please try to post in normal text with paragraphs/strucure etc and without all the emoticons?

It's quite painful to read right now.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Eireen

In view of the above comments by Kandeekan, I felt I just had to make a response in defence of itsinmyway.

I myself posted a few items on itsinmyway a couple of weeks back and one person asked for a few of them. For reasons which I will not discuss here, I decided not to give them to this person and I would wait to see if I got any more responses to my posts. The next day I got a response and decided I would give the items to the second person who asked for them. I received a pm from the second person and when I read the address in the pm, I realised that both requests seemed to be from the same person. This person was so greedy that they couldn’t wait for a response and instead registered with the site for the second time in the space of a couple of days in order to get their hands and whatever was going for free. This annoyed me very much so I reported them to admin@itsinmyway.

When I checked the members list a couple of days later, I noticed that both names were gone off it and so I felt I could go ahead and post some more items without being bothered by this person. Well, as luck would have it, the first person to ask for one of my items was the same person whom I had reported to admin, and so once again I had to report them.

I hope now that they have finally got the message and will not bother me again, otherwise admin will have to get a new logo to read as follows:
    <snip>

Sorry for the long post but I detest people who think they are entitled to something just because they request it and then run the site down when they are banned. Ugh!!

By the way, Adverts is still my favourite site thanks to the mods who do a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Just on Jumbletown, I have taken some great things off the site and dealt with some really nice people.
    However on giving away items, I have met some very strange individuals who would literally take the hand off you.
    There is a lot of dealers who trawl the site looking to scavenge anything they can get, so I tend not to take the first reply and research the respondants to see who is most in need of my items.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

At the end of the day, do you want to get rid of the stuff or not?

I've gotten rid of a lot of stuff through jumbletown, yes it did tick me off a little that most of them were part-time dealers who had seen one-too-many episodes of Flog-It and were posing as average punters.

One particular middle-aged English couple rang about an antique rosewood China Cabinet I was getting rid of from my late Mum's house. The wife of the couple went on at great length about the 'antique house' they had just purchased in the country and how the cabinet would really suit it.

For 'antique house' read 'antique shop'. When they came to collect it my wife overheard the husband taking several calls on his mobile making deals to buy and sell other antiques, mentioning his 'shop' several times when he thought he was out of earshot.

Having said that, I'm no eejit and had the item valued at around €50 in the first place.

The most satisfying 'takers' were the young Eastern European couples who were taking the most basic of stuff to kit out their houses.

Basically the service does what it says on the tin and does it effectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I use freecycle - have got rid of stuff and have got stuff on it.

TBH I don't care who takes my item. Or what they do with it. I want rid of it. Me, myself am too lazy to do anything with it aside from put it up on the net. If they sell it good for them!

Also, how do you know they are selling it/doing something you don't like with the item??? Any things I have put up, when they come to pick up the transaction takes about two minutes ie. they come in take the thing and go.

Do you want rid of the item or not?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement