Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Jumbletown ok?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Serendipity121

kandeekan wrote: »
    I would just like to say, that there is some thing more petty, as stated on thread, but its not about jumble town, i think jumbletown is the best site for free items, they treat their users extremely well, its a great site and easy to use and also fun, i love it and have reccommended it to my friends and family.
    I use it to find replacement items for my household, its very usefull. i was looking for a kettle and a toaster which i definately need, but it had none at the time, so i saw an add in my supermarket for itsinmyway thought id try it, see what it was like, way bad move, in my opinion they are very very PETTY in the extreme, its a hard site to use i thought, as im not very computor literate, i didnt think i had registered right so i tried again........ result ? i was PERMANENTLY banned on the spot !! so much for helping new users.
    I wish them all the luck with their site, because with their treatment of new users, they will need all the luck in the world, i would never recommend itsinmyway to anyone in case they are treated the same.
    I think i will stick with user friendly, helpfull sites like jumbletown, who respect their users and stop greedy people promoting other sites, thanx for reading,
    kandeekane.

sorry dudara, i was just very heated at the time. thanx

What a load of rubbish Kandeekan! I am a member of itsinmyway and I saw your posts requesting the kettle and toaster so obviously you saw them too. I watched the posts for a day as I also could have done with a new toaster and then I noticed that another person called "irishmolly" asked for the kettle and toaster. When the poster responded to irishmolly I was sorry that I hadn't asked for the toaster and then I noticed that the posts disappeared, so I am guessing that both posts were made by you. You seem like a very sad, pathetic person and I feel really sorry for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

There seems to be a bit of a turf way between Jumbletown and itsinmyway going back a few years with a few dubious new posters logging on to take sides.

TheGrinch (from 2 years ago) was obviously from itsinmyway.com

Tis all a bit pathetic really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

yet you're only a member since January this year. That's some serious research.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I hate it when users start sniping at each other. Please behave

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

Macros42 wrote: »
    yet you're only a member since January this year. That's some serious research.
    Marcos

I don't really get you. I have been a member for a few years. My name was BnA. I screwed up my password change in January when there was a problem with the site so I set up a new username...BnB. (But I don't see what that has to do with anything)

RE the "serious research" work..... I just saw this thread and read it. I noticed it was a 2 year old thread that had been dragged up again, and made a comment. I don't get where the "serious research" came from.

I know nothing about either site. I did look at both of them out of curiosity after reading this thread and they both look fine to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 kandeekan

What a load of rubbish Kandeekan! I am a member of itsinmyway and I saw your posts requesting the kettle and toaster so obviously you saw them too. I watched the posts for a day as I also could have done with a new toaster and then I noticed that another person called "irishmolly" asked for the kettle and toaster. When the poster responded to irishmolly I was sorry that I hadn't asked for the toaster and then I noticed that the posts disappeared, so I am guessing that both posts were made by you. You seem like a very sad, pathetic person and I feel really sorry for you.

thank you for your sympathy, im not sad or pathetic tho, i am a mother of 7 children, i work part time, but some things i just couldnt replace, so the site had a kettle and mine is held together by sticky tape my toaster died afew weeks ago, so i really did need them, im new to computer, the only "sites" i knew had building in front of them, so computor sites are new to me, i thought i did it wrong so i tried again, obviously i asked for the same again as i still needed them and as i thought id done it wrong, i also appologised to steve before i was taken off, explaining where i went wrong, didnt i hold my hands up to getting it wrong, in my message ? i wasnt intending for anything to be done underhanded, it was a genuine mistake, my mistake tho was being to dumb to properly use the computor and the site, but admin could have wrote and tried to explain and help me correct it not instantly ban me that left me confused and left the poor steve wondering why i had gone, i still have a battered kettle and no toaster, so you see im not sad or pathetic, im a hard working single mum trying to do her best for the children, you should feel sorry for me that im not able to properly use these sites, or that i didnt get two things i genuinly needed, but dont feel sorry for me cos im sad and pathetic, as i am not thank you, and that statement is nasty and uncalled for, i was talking about a site and its policys and how they enforce them, but you made it personal at me serendipity, that in my book is sad and pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Serendipity121

Oh dear, Kandeekane, you obviously didn't read "the poor steve's" reply to your post on reverbstudio.ie. For a person who is not computer literate, you are making a great job of badmouthing people all over the web and that disgusts me. I and members of my family had the misfortune of making your acquaintance when you requested items from us on Jumbletown and even after this, you continued to request similar items from other JT members. It must cost a fortune for fuel to drive around the country in your big car collecting freebies and if you were to refrain from making just one of these trips, I am sure you could afford to buy a reasonably good kettle and toaster. The mind boggles! :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The wife and I have used it - had mostly good use out of it for getting rid of stuff.
    Had one person turn up and be rude/arrogant but by far the rest were nice and pleasant.

@Serendipity121 and kandeekan

Are you adults or children? Stop this petty, childish one-upmanship or I will give you both a break from the Consumer Issue fourm

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kandeekan

Oh dear, Kandeekane, you obviously didn't read "the poor steve's" reply to your post on reverbstudio.ie. For a person who is not computer literate, you are making a great job of badmouthing people all over the web and that disgusts me. I and members of my family had the misfortune of making your acquaintance when you requested items from us on Jumbletown and even after this, you continued to request similar items from other JT members. It must cost a fortune for fuel to drive around the country in your big car collecting freebies and if you were to refrain from making just one of these trips, I am sure you could afford to buy a reasonably good kettle and toaster. The mind boggles! :confused:

iv had enough of this rubbish, yes i have got things of jt but isnt that what its for. i also drove once to limerick for a computor and abbeyliex for a suite (a friend drove) and ballyroan to get (bits n bobs)
    i have not badmouthed anyone except itsinmyway on this once, i do drive i took my daughter to limerick with me we made a day of it as we never were there before. it doesnt cost much for fuel thanx tho for caring , i do need a big car iv 7 kids what do you suggest a mini, you keep making personal remarks to a reply i made about itsinmyway, is it your site ? because although i have a big car only 2 of the givers have seen it (due to parking difficulties) one in lucan and one in ballyroan, and i had tea with one ive only ever been polite. so i would like the assaults on my character to cease thankyou, its getting petty.

• Advertisement

kandeekan banned for 10 days for failing to heed two moderator warnings.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

with any site (including adverts.ie), if you're giving something away it's impossible to know who genuinely needs the items and who is just trying to make a quick buck.

i've been very lucky with anything I've given away, all of them had genuine use for the stuff. you've just gotta have a bit of savvy to suss out who is just trying to take anything for free.

adverts.ie is good in that way because I'm not gonna name names, but there have been, and still are members who if you look at their comments, it has "I'll take it" or something similar 20 times in a row, which I always look for before committing to giving the item to a person

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Gosh lads, ye're a great argument for car boot sales....

But yes, I have to admit, there's always a place for freecycling, to get rid of perfectly good usable stuff, that you couldn't ask for cash for (eg. a chipped, formica bookcase for example...):P

Personally, I use heaps of sites to shift my clobber, I found jumbletown has a lot of rules of what you could or couldn't freecycle though. A bit limiting (I posted unused makeup samples once, and they pointed out that they had to remove my post because cosmetics weren't allowed to be posted, they were polite about it though). I just put them on yahoos freecycle group (alas, you can't post images there though:()

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Holland has a great system with Kringloopwinkels (Recycling Shops), running is funded by the local authority (council)

Stuff is sold for a nominal amount and all money goes to charity.

Huge network all over the country and they come to pickup stuff from your house.

We furnished our first apartment here with stuff from the charity shop, saves everyone money as your not paying for disposal of stuff in your city taxes.

With those online sites I'd say go with the premise "I want to get rid of this without the hassle of selling it" rather than dealing with people your giving it to as a charity case.

You want get rid of it, your not doing someone a favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

professional collectors ruin these sites

they are designed to be a two way sytem where you can give what you dont need and people can get what they do need or maybe cant afford

if i was running it id restrict people to collecting an item per week and ban anyone who seems to be "interested in everything"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

delllat wrote: »
    professional collectors ruin these sites
    Perhaps true, but you either want shot of the stuff or not - as long as they aren't fly-tipping what you give away then why are you concerned with the fact that they might be making a few quid on the side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

Perhaps true, but you either want shot of the stuff or not - as long as they aren't fly-tipping what you give away then why are you concerned with the fact that they might be making a few quid on the side?

its not what they do with it that bothers me ,more the fact that theyre so greedy it eliminates any chance of someone who might need something getting it

advertise almost anything that may be worth something and the same few cockroaches will come scuttling for it every time

it just lowers the qulaity of the site IMO

still handy for getting rid off stuff ,i just wud rather give to someone who hasnt made a career out of getting freebies

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭primavera85

i kinda like jumbletown. havent taken any items yet, but ive put my wedding dress up + was amazed how quick i had a response, several pm's in minutes! im waiting on a person to collect it later in the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ann0

jumbletown is good its in my way not so much then theres gumtree and the adverts.ie.jumbletown and the adverts sites are a lot easier for getting replies.im helping some oaps that i know get some furniture and its been harder than i thought and if u put up a wanted add on these sights u dont seem to get many replys.i put up a wanted add for a decent laptop for the old neighbour next door.i got one reply and was asked to meet the person in the omni shopping centre.wen i saw the laptop it was one of the very first laptops ever.wen i knocked it on the screen wasent working and the buttons started popping out.the owner of this pre historic laptop said its working wen it clearly wasent.a lot of people think old people wouldent know the difference but they do.why should they except crap.
    ive noticed a lot of people seem to advertise for free christmas presents for there kids on jumbletown.little johnny wants handy manny little mary wants dora toys.im sorry but unless i know the person i wouldent send any toys how do u know that there not going to sell them.and then theres the people advertising for a free fishing boat or barge or a seven seater car.both will be used for oap trips theres been no replys to that one.a few months ago someone asked for the original transformer toys these toys are worth an absolute fortune.who in there right mind would give them away just like that

ann0 It would help greatly if you use full punctuation and structure in your post. It's quite hard to read in its current format.

regards

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 hawks

I also posted quite a lot of stuff on Jumbletown. Once, a guy called with a van and a couple of kids. While I gathered all the stuff to give to him, his kids ran wild throughout my house. He then asked me not to bother posting any more items on the site but to phone him instead and he would take whatever he could sell. Some cheek! Well, I have since discovered an excellent site and I can either give my items for free or sell them. The site is: www.itsinmyway.com There's lots of interesting forums on the site too.
    hiya i also had dealings with this guy he asked me the same and his kids ran a muck in my house had to ask him to leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭georgem25

When I bought my house it was furnished and over the years I have gotten rid of most of the stuff on jumbletown. Its very easy to use and you get responses very quickly especially if you include photos. I have had a few collectors call but most are local people which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Have used Jumbletown a bit for giving things away, mostly successfully. Mostly people seem genuine but there are defintely some that take anything and then must be trying to sell on at car boot sales etc. Fair enough I know some people say, but it goes against the ethos of the site a bit I think. My way of weeding people out is if they have hundreds/thousands of posts on JT then they are probably dealers and ignore their request (also their replies then to be next in line please or some such) People genuinely looking for things tend to have fewer posts and will write a bit more in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dadah

I joined jumbletown.ie a while ago and thought nothing more of it but lately have noticed a few are selling stuff on straight away on ebay, adverts.ie and gumtree, etc. I actually caught a jt'er selling on and even using the same photo I had taken of the item. I messaged her on jumbletown to ask why she had said in the ad 'this was really expensive when I bought it'! The answer I got was just another lie to cover up.

She since deleted that ad but I found the same one on another site, plus loads of other stuff she'd tried selling that had been on jt. She also knows a lot about car boot sales, etc. I told her I would not be giving her any more stuff, that I prefer it to go to a good home and tbh it has put me off using jt knowing that people like that are trying to take advantage of my generosity!

I still use jumbletown but now I just google the usernames of the takers and check their post history to see what they are up to first. I think anymore I'm probably better off trying sell items myself, I don't see why others should be doing it with my stuff and making a profit. Taking items to sell is 'not against the rules of jumbletown' but at the same time, I feel it goes against the principle of the site and 'paying it forward'. And I hate to see greedy ones putting their names down for everything and getting it before someone else who clearly needed it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jackwolf

JT was agreat help to me I had nothing I got a great oak table from dublin and a futan that was great as a 2 in 1 settee and bed I am most greatfull to those that posted and give the items

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ann0

jumbletown is not to bad. you have to be quick though

To be honest, I don't see any merit in this thread. It resurfaces every so often but nothing is really added.

Thread closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement