Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it too early to cut the grass

Options
  • 26-01-2008 1:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

is it too early to cut the grass today???????

Comments

Bloody hell! Are you serious!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

ya its fairly long. when do most people do there first cut

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

is it too early to cut the grass today???????

Its a bit early alright, not to mention a bit soft underfoot.
    See here..... When to begin mowing in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Mine is growing a lot too here in Dublin. I think I must dust off the old Briggs and Stratton for a session.

It must be alright to cut it because the mowers were out cutting in Trinity this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Traditionally St Patricks Day 17th March is Kick Off Day for the new garden season, howver local conditions will determine, eg if grass is growing and ground is firm and dry, then by all means cut the grass.

Grass cutting should only be avoided if ground is wet in which case mower will cause moree harm than good.

In recent years, as temperatures appear to be milder, grass cutting has been carried out throughout the full year, very wet spells/conditions being the exception.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

If it looks long enough to cut then CUT IT, except at ths time of year don't cut as low as you do in the summer and only cut when its bone dry. Often the best time is when its sunny and very windy, good test is if you walk over the grass and your boots get really wet then its probably to wet to cut.

So if you cut to 2inch high in the summer and the grass looks a bit long try cutting to 3inches or higher this time of year.

If grass looks really long then cut higher still and follow up with a second cut.

Worst thing you can do at this time of year is hammer it back really short as this will leave room for loads of weeds to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I know someone who cut yesterday. The recent strong wind had dried out the ground, so he did a high cut - it seems fine.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

For some reason mine isn't growing much and the forthcomming cold period will stop growth dead in its tracks. If you have firmish ground then I guess no harm will come but only give it a trim.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

JamesM wrote: »
    I know someone who cut yesterday. The recent strong wind had dried out the ground, so he did a high cut - it seems fine.
    Jim.

Our grass has dried out really well in this recent wind (was really wet) so might get out on it tomorrow with the mower and just top it off at the highest cut the mower will go to. Even if it doesn't grow anymore this winter it will then be easier to do the first proper cut in the spring.

Advertisement