Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing religion part of birth certificate

Options
  • 26-01-2008 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

My parents, in their infinite spiritual wisdom, put me down as roman catholic on my birth certificate and, frankly, I'd rather that wasn't there. Has anyone changed theirs or know how to go about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

rgt320q wrote: »
    My parents, in their infinite spiritual wisdom, put me down as roman catholic on my birth certificate and, frankly, I'd rather that wasn't there. Has anyone changed theirs or know how to go about it?

What year?

From what I can see, there's nothing on an Irish birth cert that indicates religion. There is a column for baptismal name, is that what you're referring to?

http://www.goballycastle.com/images/Irish%20Birth%20Cert_Healy_Thomas.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

My parents, in their infinite spiritual wisdom, put me down as roman catholic on my birth certificate and, frankly, I'd rather that wasn't there.
    Unless you have another strong faith to put down instead, I can't imagine why changing it would make any difference in your life.

Seems somewhat angsty!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Haha, nah, no angst here, I just disagree with it and have nothing better to do.

Y'know, I should probably check the damn thing, my mother just mentioned it to me earlier and again, I draw you back to the nothing better to do point.

Haha, nah, no angst here, I just disagree with it and have nothing better to do.

Y'know, I should probably check the damn thing, my mother just mentioned it to me earlier and again, I draw you back to the nothing better to do point.

before you get upset I'd get hold of your cert and take a look. There certainly is no way to formally record religion on any birth cert issued in this state in the last 50 years.

Someone may have written "this guy is R.C." on it, and in that case I suggest the best way to remove it is with an eraser or tippex :)

seriously, take a look at your cert and see what it says.

here's the webpage for information about registering births in Ireland
    http://www.groireland.ie/registering_a_birth.htm

the word 'religion' doesn't appear on it

Yeah, see that now. But it does raise one question: what the f*** was my mom going on about :confused:

• Advertisement

Yeah, see that now. But it does raise one question: what the f*** was my mom going on about :confused:

well she's *your* mon :) ... not sure we can help you with that one!

'twas rhetorical ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

YORE mom :)

Advertisement