Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xebec's getting fit

• 26-01-2008 3:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I've been debating starting a log on here for a while now and finally think that this is the right time. Hopefully this log will serve as some more motivation to continue with the training I'm doing and as a good record of my training.

So first, a little about me: I'm a 23 year old male student living in Dublin city centre. I'm 1.7m tall and my current weight is about 76kg. Started using the gym to get fit and lose weight on doctor's advice around June last year - I was 90kg. Since then have been using the gym regularly and have started boxing in college.

For the last 4-6 weeks my focus has been on running - with much inspiration coming from eclectichoney's thread - and am currently building up my distance with regular time in the gym and maybe once a week outdoors. I try to mix things up a bit in the gym by using the crosstrainer and bike a few times a week as well as doing some training with free and machine weights. Also boxing three evenings a week, this involves cardio, technique, strength and speed work and is a great whole body workout, the session lasts about an hour and two evenings a week I go sparring afterwards.

So my goals are:
    1. Finish the Great Ireland Run - have entered myself for this (don't know how sensible that was but like having something to work towards)
    2. Continue with weight loss with aim of getting down to about 70kg.
    3. Keep going to boxing training.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated, particularly around my weights training as I've been doing similar exercises for months now and I'm not too sure how well they fit with my goals.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Day 1 of the log:

8.32km run in 45:40 today around Stoneybatter, North Circular and Phoenix Park. Very happy with this as faster than I was expecting and had more hills (well ok, slight inclines) than I usually go for on a run.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Currently at your 1.7m and 76kg you are around the same as what I was when I started my log last April.

I spent a few months in the gym messing about with no real structure. My advice gym wise would be to start deadlift(standard & stiff leg), squat, bench press, military press, dumbell & barbell rowing, plus pull ups as soon as possible... and don't waste months like I did on machines and without a proper plan or split day sessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

very nice of you to say that xebec - will be looking forward to reading your log, especially as i'll have lots of time at the moment (i'm injured :()

you can run faster than me so i'm already jealous :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

xebec wrote: »

So my goals are:
    1. Finish the Great Ireland Run - have entered myself for this (don't know how sensible that was but like having something to work towards)
    2. Continue with weight loss with aim of getting down to about 70kg.
    3. Keep going to boxing training.

Good stuff personally I think the best way to go for it is to sign up for an event, keeps you focused. The idea of not finising usually makes me keep on top. Also tell your mates you are going to do it, as most people don't want to admit defeat it usually gets them accross the finish. The Great Run was my first organised race in 2003, its a pity I'll miss it this year but will be running in a different event. Best of luck with the training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Very sensible!
    I would recommend making out a plan. Work out how many weeks away the race is and count back from there, so you can plan to gradually increase the amount you run (if needed). And this also gives you something to stick to rather than just taking days off here and there.

A beginner just needs to get out jogging, but if you have a bit of experience, most plans would have 3 key runs a week:

1 Speed sessions - on a jog, go very fast for 2 mins, easy for 2 mins and do 6 times. Can build up gradually in terms of speed and number of reps etc.

2 Tempo run - in the middle of a jog up the pace for 20mins - faster than your jogging pace but not all out

3 Long run - for a 10k 45mins to an hour is probably sufficient for a long run - just go nice and slow and add on a few minutes every week.

These make it a bit interesting aswell, not just monotonous jogging. And all can be done on a treadmill if that's where you run. Any other runs, if you chose to do some, can just be slow easy jogs.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice guys, will try to take it all on board!

BossArky, regarding the weights, the biggest problem I have is getting access to the free weights because of the large number of people using them. There's 4 or 5 benches in the gym, but I'm lucky if I get one for a few minutes. I guess the other side of it is that I'm more comfortable with machine weights, so should build my confidence up a bit. The boxing training also provides a good variation on some of these exercises using bodyweight.

Racing Flat - I had been looking at the novice 10k on Hal Higdon's website and the beginner's 10k on the Cool Running website and had started to try to include some shorter faster runs during the week. So will definitely try to mix things up between speed, tempo and long runs.

Today: 8.32km 45:37 - opposite direction as on Saturday and seemed a whole lot harder!
    Boxing training this evening.

5km 27:30 + 1km brisk walk as warm up and warm down

Assisted Chin-ups x10, x7, x5
    Assisted Dips x10, x10
    Seated Leg Press x20, x20, x20 - not sure about the weight, it's 7 on the machine (Precor) and while this is my normal leg press I was nearly dead at the end of it tonight! Haven't done any weights for a week.

BossArky wrote: »
    ...start deadlift(standard & stiff leg), squat, bench press, military press, dumbell & barbell rowing, plus pull ups as soon as possible... and don't waste months like I did on machines and without a proper plan or split day sessions.

Maybe I'm being a bit naive, but what's the difference between dumbbell and barbell rows? I plan on asking the trainers in the gym for advice on squats, deadlifts and benches. Can you advise a good split day routine which would suit my other goals?

Running Flat, how does weight training fit into your schedule?

For the last 6 months I've been going for lower weights with high reps, usually 3 sets of 20 on any weights I'm doing in order to build endurance rather than muscle mass like others are aiming for, does this make any sense?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Maybe I'm being a bit naive, but what's the difference between dumbbell and barbell rows? I plan on asking the trainers in the gym for advice on squats, deadlifts and benches. Can you advise a good split day routine which would suit my other goals?

Google "starting strength". According to some of the other guys it is a good strength goal for a relative newbie.

You could try something like this:

Day 1: --> Legs mainly
    Squat
    Stiff Leg Deadlift
    Pull Ups
    Shrugs
    Lateral Raise (dumbell)

Day 2: --> a bit of chest, but loads of upper back too
    Bench Press (barbell)
    Pull Ups
    One Arm Row (dumbell)
    Reverse Fly

Day 3: --> More back with heavy deadlifts
    Deadlift (standard)
    Pull Ups
    Military Press (seated, dumbell)
    One Leg Split Squat
    Bicep Curl (dumbell)

Day 4:
    light weights (squat, pull ups, dumbell bench, reverse fly)... plus more cardio

This program is based upon nothing really. I may have missed something, e.g. Leg Raises for abs. Try a thread on the main forum for detailed responses from the others. Make sure you do lots of upper back stuff(rows, pulls ups, lat pull down, shrugs, reverse flys) if you start bench pressing. Most people put too much emphasis on the chest which pulls them over into a hunch in extreme cases.

A dumbell row will allow a greater range of motion than a barbell, as you can pull it back more.

Boxing training - cardio, technique, speed and strength

5.7km - 35 mins - first attempt at a tempo run, not as successful as I'd hoped! Really felt like legs were made of lead today, did 15 mins medium pace, 10 mins fast (had planned on 15), and 10 mins v. easy pace. Not sure about how to plan the next few days as running time is going to be limited on both Sat and Sun, was thinking of taking a day off tomorrow, but still not sure, will prob go for a medium pace 5k.

Did 30 mins easy on a bike after running, just to pass the time more than anything, did about 6 miles, but didn't put any effort in because of feeling tired and reading a book...

• Advertisement

5km 28:06 easy run today

Some weights, not sure about the exact weight of all of them because there are no weight markings on the plates/machines.

Seated Leg Press x20 x20 x20
    Seated Chest Press 36kg x20 x20 x20
    Shoulder Press x20 x18 x10

Assisted Dips x10 x10
    Assisted Chin-ups x10 x10
    Assisted Pull-ups x10 x10

Standing Row 32kg x10 x10 x10

Hip adductors x20
    Hip abductors x20

Bit of a mix today cos I won't have a chance to do weights again till next week.

25 mins cycling, resistance level 5-17, 7.7 miles

Today:

Boxing training - 1 hour of cardio, strength, speed and technique

Crosstrainer - 30 mins 4.7km 5400+ strides - had planned on doing an hour but was tempted by friends to go for beers. It's going to be a boozy weekend, going to a ball on Saturday night and Superbowl on Sunday, will try to fit some exercise in, but have put in a fairly decent week anyway :)

Boxing training - 1 hour

5km 28:07 easy

Assisted Chin-ups x10
    Assisted Dips x10
    Assisted Pull-ups x10

Seated Leg Press x20 x20 x20
    Hip Abductors x20
    Hip Adductors x20

Shoulder Press x20 x18
    Seated Row x20 x20 x20
    Seated Chest Press 32kg x20 x20 x20 (have to up these next time as still found them relatively easy towards the end)

Gym was very busy this evening for some reason, and arms were tired after boxing.

8 x 400m intervals today, with 400m easy in between each

Total time 50 mins, total distance 7.8km - including warm up and cooldown.

Boxing training - 1 hour

5.63km 31:44

6.43km - 37:00

Assisted Chin-ups x10, x10, x10
    Assisted Dips x10, x10, x10

Bicep Curls 8kg (each arm) x20 x20 x20
    Upright Dumbbell Row 8kg (each arm) x10 x10 x10
    Lateral Raises 4kg (each arm) x10 x10 x10
    Tricep Pushdown 7 plates x10, 5 plates x10 x10

Shoulder Press 4 plates x20, 3 plates x10 x10

Seated Leg Press 7 plates x20 x20 x20
    Hip Abductors x20
    Hip Adductors x20
    Calf Raises (Bodyweight + 10kg) x20 x20 x20 - each leg

Squats (Bodyweight + 10kg - 2x5kg dumbbells) x20

15 mins easy cycle to cool down

3.72km 19:10

Today was supposed to be a crosstrainer day in the gym, but due to large amount of alcohol consumed last night and the rugby being on decided to go for a short run instead. Hope weather stays nice tomorrow for a run up in the Park.

8.32km 46:08 - gorgeous evening up in Pheonix Park :)

Just short of 37km for the week :)

Boxing training - 1 hour

Deadlifts 60kg x6 x6 x6
    (First time doing these, thanks to g'em for showing me the proper technique :))

5km 28:05

Assisted Chin-ups x10 x10 x10
    Assisted Dips x10 x10 x10
    (Started to reduce the assistance)

Lat Pull-downs 6 plates x10 x10 x10
    Tricep Pushdown 7 plates x10 x10 x10

Seated Leg-press 7 plates x20 x20 x20
    Calf Raises Bodyweight+12kg x10 x10 x10 (each leg)

Seated Row 6 plates x20 x20 x20

OK session today, need to sit down and think about exactly which exercises I should be doing, what weight and how many reps.

40 min tempo run - 10 mins warm up, 20 mins fast, 10 mins slow down

Total distance 6.65km

• Advertisement

Boxing training - 1 hour

g'em showed me squatting technique.

Had planned on a 6.5km run this evening, but just couldn't get into it. Decided to do a short run outside instead - feckin freezing!!

2.4km fast

10 mins cycle to cool down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Here's a couple of articles you might like to read:

Squatting from Head to Toe by Dave Tate

Deadlift Diagnosis by Eric Cressey

And great job on the squats/ DLs - you're a natural!!

g'em wrote: »
    Here's a couple of articles you might like to read:

Squatting from Head to Toe by Dave Tate

Deadlift Diagnosis by Eric Cressey

And great job on the squats/ DLs - you're a natural!!

Well there goes my afternoon of study! And I thought there was loads of stuff that you told me to remember, I'll need to re-read these a few times to take it all in :)

Thanks again :)

6.5km 35:36 - nice comfortable run

Squats 40kg x8 x8 x8 x8

Assisted Chin-ups x10 x10 x10
    Hanging Leg Raises x10 x10 x10

Calf Raises bodyweight + 12kg x10 x10 x10 (each leg)

Bicep Curls 10kg each arm x10 x10 x10
    Dumbbell Rows 10kg each arm x10 x10 x10
    Dumbbell Pullovers 10kg x10 x10 x10

Side Lateral Raises 5kg each arm x10 x10
    Military Press 5kg each arm x10 x10

Tricep Pulldown 6 plates x10 x10 x10

Finished off by trying some HIIT, did 4 mins on the cross trainer alternating 30 secs hard, 30 secs easy. Was feckin dead after it! Will definitely include it again to mix things up a bit.

Upped some of the weights and reduced the reps tonight, see if it has any noticable difference...

Bike 20 mins ~ 6 miles (at least I think the machine is set to miles) just to get the leg muscles moving after squats yesterday.

Boxing training - 1 hour - very hard session today, partly because I was still tired from yesterday.

Just as an aside, I think I got a bit confused somewhere along the line, so anywhere I mentioned chin-ups it should have been pull-ups, will change that from now on :) Is there much benefit in doing chins as well as pull-ups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Just as an aside, I think I got a bit confused somewhere along the line, so anywhere I mentioned chin-ups it should have been pull-ups, will change that from now on :) Is there much benefit in doing chins as well as pull-ups?

Essentially they're both back exercises, but most people will find chin-ups (with palms facing towards you) easier because you use your biceps as well as your back.

Do either/or and when sets of 12 get too easy, add weight.

g'em wrote: »
    Essentially they're both back exercises, but most people will find chin-ups (with palms facing towards you) easier because you use your biceps as well as your back.

Do either/or and when sets of 12 get too easy, add weight.

Thanks. Need to worry about reducing the assist before I get to adding weight ;)

Sunday - 8.9km run ~47 minutes, not 100% sure of the time though as I didn't have my watch and stopped to talk to a friend about halfway. Was a gorgeous afternoon for running around my home town though :)

Boxing training - 1 hour

5km 28:30 nice and easy

Deadlift 50kg x8 x8 x8 x8

Assisted Pull-ups x10 x10 x10

Seated Leg Press (8 plates) x10 x10 x10
    Seated Chest Press 41kg x10 x10 x10

Gym was very busy this evening and was a little short of time so didn't do any more weights. Also, got a really nasty twinge in one of my triceps during boxing, didn't affect the weights too much but was very aware of it.

Oops, forgot to mention that I'm the proud owner of a lovely big blister on my heel - thanks to a new pair of runners and a crappy pair of socks for the outdoor run yesterday. Must remember to get some Compeed...

9 x 400m intervals today, 400m easy followed by 400m fast (fastest I've ever had the treadmill going :)), did take one cheat walking break after the 6th fast interval but finished strong and even managed to get a little more pace out of the final interval. Total distance 7.2km, total time about 40 mins.

• Advertisement

Boxing Training - 1 hour

7.25km 39:56

Stretching, calves were particularly tight for some reason.

6.42km 34:49 (pushed it out at the end to get under 35 mins)

Squats 45kg x8 x8 x8 x8 (these were relatively easy, will push it up to 50kg next time)

Bicep Curls 10kg (each arm) x15 x15 x15
    Dumbbell Row 10kg (each arm) x10 x10 x10
    Tricep Pulldown 41kg x10 x10 x10

(Reduced the assistance on these again, but struggled at end of 2nd set of each so increased assistance for last set)

Calf Raises bodyweight + 14kg x10 x10 x10 (each leg)

Yesterday:

47 mins on bicycle just to get the legs moving, about 12km

Boxing training - 1 hour

Today is rest day, heading to rugby :)

10.15km 54:35 - first time going over 10km :)

The next week is going to be bad for training, have other commitments almost everyday so will have to try to squeeze some running in when I can.

Week total running ~35km :)

Had to rush to get anything done between a lecture and training today so:

3km 16:00 - good bit faster than I normally go

Deadlifts 60kg x8 x8 x8 x8 - tbh not entirely sure about how these are going, I know my form is pretty good but not feeling the strain as much as I thought I would be, up the weight again next time

Stretching - was very stiff cos hadn't stretched properly since last Thursday

Boxing training - 1 hour, slightly less intense session as club have to competitions on this week

45 minute tempo run - distance 8km+, not sure of the total as the electricity briefly went in the gym and machine turned off

5 mins HIIT - 30 seconds high intensity, 30 seconds easy on the crosstrainer

• Advertisement

Boxing training - 45 mins, very light session

5km 27:20 - had planned on doing 8km tonight, but had trouble reaching 5km, legs were a bit sore so decided to leave it at that.

Not sure if I'll take a rest day tomorrow or Friday, guess I'll see how I feel in the morning...

5km 27:00 - much more comfortable run today, could have gone further but wanted to do some weights

Squats 50kg x8 x8 x8 x8 - tough

Calf Raises bodyweight + 16kg x10 x10 x10 (each leg)

Hanging Leg-raises x10 x10 x10

Seated Leg Press 9 plates x10 x10 x10 - found these very hard, realised at the end of the 2nd set that I had 9 plates instead of 8, oops :)

Chest Press 41kg x10 x10 x10

Day off tomorrow, cross training for an hour on Saturday and probably another weights session. Run again on Sunday.

60:00 on the crosstrainer today, 10,500+ strides

Bicep curls 10kg x15 x15 x15
    Dumbbell rows 10kg x10 x10 x10
    Tricep pulldown x10 x10 x10

Deadlift 60kg x8 x8 50kg x5
    My form is absolutely shocking on these, arching my lower back way too much, particularly when the bring the bar back down to the floor. One of the gym instructors pointed this out to me, I asked him how to avoid it, he told me you just do. Lowered the weight to see if I could work on it, got pissed off and decided to leave. Tbh, was feeling pretty weak today anyway, hasn't been a great week for training. Hopefully the weather will be nice tomorrow and I'll get out for a good long run :)

Decided to give yesterday a miss, had a heavy night celebrating on Saturday and really couldn't motivate myself to get out yesterday.

Today:

Boxing training - 1 hour

5km ~27:30 - this was hard work, really lacking in energy

Squats 50kg x8 x8 x8

Seated Row 8 plates x15 x15 x15

Chest Press 45.5kg x15 x15 x15

Assisted Pullups x10 x10
    Assisted Dips x10 x10

Might try to do some weights again tomorrow, had a good feed of pasta this evening and early night tonight so hopefully be raring to go tomorrow :)

Interval training - 400m slow, 400m fast - total 7.6km ~42:00

Dumbbell Bench Press 20kg (10kg each arm) x10 x10 x10

Calf Raises bodyweight+14kg x10 x10 x10 (each leg)

(will reduce assistance again next session)

Lateral Raises 5kg each arm x10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Fair play xebec, you're doing great. I always read your fitness log cos it's one of of the few consistent ones which shows steady progress and it always motivates me to get out of the house and do some kind of exercise - I'm not exactly at your level yet (self-deprecating lol!) but trying to get there.

Aww shucks Stargal, you're embarrasing me :o

Boxing - 1 hour - much less intense session, wasn't too motivated

7.25km 40:11 - heart was racing by the end of it, which is annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Aww shucks Stargal, you're embarrasing me :o
    Quiet you, it's true :) Seriously, it's really encouraging to read a fitness log that doesn't suddenly trail off after about a week and which always seems varied and interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Stargal wrote: »
    Quiet you, it's true :) Seriously, it's really encouraging to read a fitness log that doesn't suddenly trail off after about a week and which always seems varied and interesting.

True story!!

6.42km 37:23 - purposely kept the pace slower than usual today, felt great and could have gone further :)

Went a bit crazy on the weights, until I looked at the clock and realised how long I'd been in the gym! Damn final year project should really be getting more of a priority!

Deadlifts 60kg x8 x8 x8 x8 - form a bit better, still work to do though

Bench Press 25kg (2 x 12.5kg db) x10 x10 x10
    Incline Bench Press 25kg x10 x10 x10
    Dumbbell Pullovers 12.5kg x10 x10 x10

Assisted Pullups (7) x10 x10 x10
    Assisted Dips (7) x10 x10 x10

Seated Leg Press (9 plates) x10 x10 x10

Bicep Curls 10kg each arm x10 x10 x10
    Dumbbell Rows 10 kg each arm x10 x10 x10
    Tricep Pulldowns 32kg x10 x10 x10

Tomorrow (Friday) is a rest day, and also my last day of lectures :D Saturday will also be a rest day because of the hangover from tomorrow night and going to rugby match.

8.9km ~50 mins - had to stop for a few walking breaks cause I thought my lunch was going to make a reappearance about half way round :) Serves me right for having an unhealthy lunch about an hour before I went out :p

Weight is 72.5kg, hasn't changed in ages, but didn't really expect it to because of enjoying life and food :) This month should hopefully see it drop to about 70kg.

5km 26:12

Leg-press (9 plates) x12 x12 x12

Assisted Pull-ups (7) x10 x10
    Assisted Chin-ups (7) x10 (just for a change)
    Assisted Dips (7) x10 x10 x10

Calf Raises 15kg x10 x10 x10 (each leg)
    Leg curls 41kg x10 x10 x10
    Leg extensions (9 plates) x10 x10 x10
    Don't normally do leg curls or extensions, was waiting around for squatting racks so figured I may aswell do something.

Squats 50kg x8 x8 x8 x8

14.34km 25:00 on exercise bike, haven't been on the bike in the gym in ages, felt very strong and thoroughly enjoyed it :)

/rant
    Spent ages waiting for squatting racks today. There was a guy benching in one. There was a guy doing (half) DL in the other (or at least that's what it looked like, wasn't putting the weight on the floor but resting it on the bars that the rest of us use to avoid getting crushed!), now in fairness he was using a large weight, but he spent more time looking at himself in the mirror than actually lifting. And to top it all off, he finished by doing shrugs in the squatting rack.
    /end rant

Now I feel better :)

45 minute tempo run, 10 mins warm up, 25 mins hard, 10 mins cool down. ~8km

• Advertisement
Advertisement