Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xebec's getting fit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

8.05km 43:40 followed by lots of stretching.

Was going to go on the bike, but was feeling lazy...

5km 26:53

Crunches x50
    Press-ups x40 - wanted 50 of these as well, but couldn't quite make it! It's been over a week since I did any though, they're normally part of boxing training.

Dealifts 50kg x8 x8 x8 x8 x8 - knocked off a bit of weight to try to work on form, definitely helped, will start adding again next week.

Assisted Pull-ups (7) x10 x8 (8) x10
    Assisted Dips (7) x10 x10 x10

Dumbbell Benchpress 2x15kg x10 x10 x10
    Dumbbell Pullovers 15kg x10 x10 x10

Calf raises bodyweight+15kg x10 x10 x10 (each leg)
    Seated Leg Press (9 plates) x12 x12 x12

Bicep Curls 2x10kg x15 x15 x15
    Dumbbell Rows 2x10kg x10 x10 x10
    (my forearms felt like they were cramping in the middle of these - anyone felt that before?)

Tricep Pulldowns 32kg x10 x10 x10

Seated Rows (7 plates) x10 (8 plates) x10 x10

Oops, that was a bit more than I had planned on doing, but once I get going there's no stopping me! Good job I only lift twice a week or else I'd never get any work done!

5 mins HIIT (plus 5 mins for warm-up and cool-down) on the crosstrainer to finish the session off, nearly finished me off!

Friday 14th:

3.5km 19:32 - short and easy run just to get the legs moving. Rest day today before 5km race in the morning.

5km road race around the city centre today - 23:44 - probably could have gone under 23:00, but it was my first race so wasn't really sure how to pace myself.

Went through 1km at 5:15, 3km at about 14:40 and so finished quite strong :)

10x400m intervals today, 400m fast 400m slow. Total distance 8.4km, time about 48 mins (although not too sure because of fight with treadmill after 2nd interval).

Assisted Pull-ups (7) x10 x10 x9

Took day off yesterday as had 13-hour shift in work and was too tired/too cold outside when I finished.

This week isn't going to be too good for gym work, think the weights are going to be missed - have final year project due in less than two weeks and am a little behind schedule :)

On another note, I received my t-shirt etc for the Great Ireland run today. Bit disappointed that the county flag isn't on the back like it was last year, although there is the nice touch of "The Model County" being printed below the main logo on the front :)

8.85km 47:42

Run was fine, cycle home afterwards against the wind wasn't as much fun!

6.5km 34:25

4.58km 22:44

Just a short run today, as much to wake me up as anything :)

Must try to get a bit of a weights session in tomorrow, gym is closed today, Sunday and Monday. I've been a bit stuck for time this week with FYP, probably be more of the same next week, but going to get as much work as possible done this weekend with 90 mins in the gym tomorrow and maybe a longer run outside on Sunday...

11.07km 60:00 11,500+ strides on the crosstrainer. Didn't have time to do weights today :(

• Advertisement

11.63km 61:45

11.63km 61:10 - same route, opposite direction. Was supposed to be a short run with weights today, but the gym is still closed so went for a long run around Phoenix Park instead.

Decided to take a rest day today after the two long runs over the weekend, have a slight twinge in one of my glutes too, so rest is good :)

Was nice to be cycling home and not have legs that felt like they were made of stone, even if it was raining!!

50 minute tempo run today, 10 mins easy warm-up, 30 mins fast (topping out at 5k pace), 10 mins cool down.

Squat 50kg x8 x8 x8 x8 x8
    First time doing these in ages, found it tough but pushed myself to do a 5th set.

Assisted Pull-ups (7) x10 x10 x7

Seated Row (8 plates) x10 x10 x10

Dumbbell Benchpress 32kg (2x16kg) x10 x10
    Dumbbell pullover 16kg x10 x10

Finished with 5 mins HIIT on the cross trainer, thought I was going to die after the second interval, but somehow kept pushing myself to do more :)

Bad day today. Didn't sleep well and was knackered all day because of it. Still in the middle of my FYP - it's due on Monday - so stress levels are through the roof and to top it all off I haven't been able to feed myself properly much this week due to 15+ hour days on this damn thing.

So, couldn't decide whether to go to the gym or not this evening, but I have a rule of thumb that the days I don't feel like it are the days that I should make the extra effort to go. I really shouldn't have!!

10 minutes warm up on the bike, followed by lots of stretching and then a short 10 minute run on the treadmill. Really couldn't do any more, decided to cut my losses and see how I feel for doing a (reasonably) long run in the morning.

To add to all this other crap, I've got a few niggling sore areas. In particular at the top of one of my glutes, hopefully not pushing too hard will allow it to recover. Don't want to be injured before the race next weekend.

It's not going to be a great few days for exercise, which isn't ideal on the last weekend before the Great Ireland. Working a long day on Saturday so that's ruled out, should get a long run on Sunday, then the gym is closed until 5pm on Monday (it's being officially opened) and I plan on being in the pub by that time!! It's going to be any easy week next week anyway, last run will be Thursday.

OK, so this has turned into more of a rant than anything else, but it's good to get it out :)

9.65km 49:42 - still some pains

• Advertisement

As mentioned alread, enforced rest day today because of work. Feeling a few little niggles, so the long run that I had planned for tomorrow (~13km) might have to be cut short if I go at all. Also have to travel tomorrow meaning I might not have time for running at all.

Bring on Monday for the end of this bloody Final Year Project!!

No run today (Sunday 30th). Other things took priority, namely taking my first lie-in for over a month and getting my project work finished. So after 3 hours travelling today too, it's all done and printed off and I can get back to concentrating on exercise... on Tuesday ;)

Oh yeah, meant to put it in yesterday's post. Weight is 72.5kg. Unchanged from 2 weeks ago, dunno how because I've been eating crap. It's possible that my bf has crept up a little, haven't been lifting weights much. Time to get the diet back in order and start losing a few pounds again now. My initial goal was 70kg, but I think I'll be happier with closer to 67kg as I still have a large amount of body fat.

10.15km 53:56 - nice and slow, few niggles still, gorgeous day :)

5km 28:08

Had meant to do some weight training too, but my stomach and head had a hard enough time getting through the run. Damn hangover.

Boxing training - 1 hour

5 x 400m intervals - increasing the pace for each interval

Had forgotten how much fun boxing training was :) It's been 4 weeks since I've been there because of deadlines and being off-term and stuff, and I could tell cos I could barely do 5 push-ups where I was doing sets of 50 before taking a break! Did the intervals after boxing, was supposed to be the last bit of speed work before the 10k on Sunday, I guess I was tired after pushing myself hard in boxing and I'm still recovering from Monday night - had trouble getting to the end of the 5! Ah well, was always warned that I'd have excessive hang-overs because of the meds I'm on so will just stay clear of booze for the rest of the week :)

• Advertisement

5km 26:53 - a bit faster than I was planning, but it felt good so I let it go :)

That was the last run before Sunday, going to take it pretty easy for the next few days. Might go for a cycle around the park tomorrow if the weather suits - there's still a part of the course that I haven't seen but would like to. Apart from that, bring on the 10k on Sunday.

Oh, and I realise that I haven't set a target time for the race. Originally when I signed up I figure 60 mins would be reasonably good to finish in, but after the 5k race on St Patricks day I'm aiming for the 50 minute mark. But won't be too disappointed if I don't get it, the main aim is still just to finish :)

75 mins cycle today, nothing strenuous at all, really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

good luck tomorrow hope everything goes according to plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Best of luck with it, hope you have a good day out, enjoy.

SUNGOD wrote: »
    good luck tomorrow hope everything goes according to plan
    Odysseus wrote: »
    Best of luck with it, hope you have a good day out, enjoy.

Cheers guys.

Great Ireland Run
    10km 50:38

Thoroughly enjoyed the day out today, was fun to run with others and not by myself like normal. Wanted to go below 50 mins, but the weather was the main factor that prevented that! A shower of hail into the face about 7.5km in really does nothing to keep the pace up :rolleyes: Anyway, my main aim was to finish, which I managed easily and didn't have to take any breaks at all.

That's the end of 10 weeks preparing for this race. What do I do now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Nice one xebec.
    Ran myself today, first run ever and quite enjoyed it.

You could do the Calcutta Run on May 17th, its around the Phoenix also.

Forky wrote: »
    You could do the Calcutta Run on May 17th, its around the Phoenix also.

Hmm... Hadn't heard about that one before, and would be handy as my flat overlooks Blackhall Place. Was thinking of the docklands fun run on the 20th, but I have an exam on the 21st so might have to give that one a skip. We'll see...

~13.5km 25:00 cross country course on bike, maxing out at level 17.

Crunches x20 x20
    Press-ups x20 - these have gone way downhill since boxing fell by the wayside for a few weeks

Squats 50kg x8 x8 x8 x8

Lever Incline Row 25kg x10 x10 x10

Assisted Pull-ups (7) x10 x10 x9

Dumbbell Bench Press 25kg (2 x 12.5kg) x10 x10 x10
    Dumbbell Pull-over 12.5kg x10 x10 x10

Seated Leg Press (9 plates) x10 x10 x10

Feeble attempt at going for a short run after this, but thought my (rather large) lunch was going to make a reappearance so left it at that. Cycle home.

That was the last day of exercise until Sunday or Monday. Going on a class piss-up to Berlin :D One of the guys in my class was trying to get me to bring my running gear, but he trains at the easy pace of 6 minute miles so might give that one a skip!! Good to get back into doing weights today, although it was strange going to the gym without a specific plan for the day - must get that sorted out when I come back.

xebec wrote: »
    Great Ireland Run
    10km 50:38

Thoroughly enjoyed the day out today, was fun to run with others and not by myself like normal. Wanted to go below 50 mins, but the weather was the main factor that prevented that! A shower of hail into the face about 7.5km in really does nothing to keep the pace up :rolleyes: Anyway, my main aim was to finish, which I managed easily and didn't have to take any breaks at all.

Good stuff, glad to hear you had a good day out. I was running in the park about 90 mins before it kicked off. That was my first race in 2003 I would have liked to be running it with, just bad organisation this year.

What's next? There are plently of events out there you just have to look you can even do 10k in the desert if your interested. What do you want to do now are you looking to increase your distance, half-marathon or marathon or are you happy with 10k's. Best of luck whatever you go for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

xebec wrote: »

Join an athletic club. Crusadersac.org have a great group at the moment and they are based in Irishtown/Ringsend so close enough to Trinity (presuming thats were you are based). If you do, I would wager on you going sub 40mins in next years Great Ireland run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Odysseus wrote: »
    Good stuff, glad to hear you had a good day out. I was running in the park about 90 mins before it kicked off. .

Are you the mentalist who runs with his top off?

Tingle wrote: »

I don't want to be taknig up too much space on xebec's journal, boy no, no and no. That's just wrong:confused:

Join an athletic club. Crusadersac.org have a great group at the moment and they are based in Irishtown/Ringsend so close enough to Trinity (presuming thats were you are based). If you do, I would wager on you going sub 40mins in next years Great Ireland run.

Joining a club is something I've definitely been considering. I've looked at Crusaders website, but I actually live closer to Phoenix Park so not sure how that'd work out. Also, real life is in the way at the moment, have to focus on my finals for the next few months, then not sure if I'm staying in Dublin for the summer and start a job in September so will be away for about a month for training. Oh, and I'm going sailing around Norway for August :D

Haha, I've never noticed that guy but that's just crazy!

I've well and truly got the running bug now, and the obvious thing for me to do is to keep upping the distance, particularly with weekend runs. Not sure how far I want to take that though, maybe do the half marathon in September but don't think I'll be prepared for the full in October with all the RL stuff during the summer. Will wait and see I guess.

As for what now, I'm going to enter the Dockland's 8k in May and decide closer to the day whether to run it or not, would be fun to push for sub-40.

Boxing training - 1 hour, very tough session

5km 26:52 - taking it pretty handy

5mins on rower before nearly falling off!

Was supposed to do a weights session today, but didn't feel like it so will do it tomorrow...

Crap session in the gym today, got a niggle in my right calf during boxing yesterday and it felt like it was cramping up today.

4.5km - I dunno what the time was, but it was slow... Had to take a walking break at 2km

7.25km 15 mins on the exercise bike, bailed out of level 17 but was good workout

Assisted Pull-ups (7) x10 x10 x10

Deadlifts 50kg x8 x8 55kg x8 x8 60kg x8
    Haven't deadlifted in ages, was good to do it again and the form was much better than it has been for a long time.

Incline Dumbbell Bench 20kg (2x10kg) x10 x10 x10
    Seated Shoulder Press 20kg (2x10kg) x10 x8 x10

Bicep Curls 20kg (2x10kg) x10 x10 x10
    Standing Rows 20kg (2x10kg) x10 x10 x10

Seated Leg Press (9 plates) x10 x10 x10

Wanted to do some squatting today too, but there was a guy benching in one rack and a guy doing military press in the other. Was time to head home anyway.

Back in my stride today...

Boxing training - 1 hour

7x400m intervals - 400m fast, 400 slow - total distance 5.6km ~40mins
    Was really happy with these, didn't expect I'd be able to do that many but had no problems. Upped the pace every second interval and was way past my 5km pace by the last one and still feeling pretty comfortable :)

Dunno what's going to happen tomorrow, have a project to finish and a friend coming over for dinner so may not have time to do any exercise, although I have been trying to convince her to come running with me...

Oh, meant to say that I've had DOMs in my abs today for the first time in months!! Tried a new exercise yesterday and the day before, think I found it on t-nation.

Basically it starts at the top of a press-up position. Then while moving weight onto left arm, keep right arm straight and raise the hand to the hip and return to floor all slowly. Repeat for left arm and do 10 each side for a set. Really felt a big hit on my abs using them to stabilise myself and keeping my body in the flat press-up position.

Anyone else ever do anything similar?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I do something similar with dumbbells.
    • Top of press up, arms extended, dumbbell in each arm (like 10kg-ish).
    • Keep left arm extened, whilst doing a one arm row with the right.
    • Bring right arm back down to ground.
    • Repeat on left size.

3 sets of 10 and I'm in bits. Haven;t done it for a while though.

• Advertisement

BossArky wrote: »
    • Repeat on left size.

Cool, that sounds like a tougher variation of what I was talking about. Will keep working at them and see about getting up to your version...

Took yesterday as a rest day.

5.92km 30:00 - happy enough with that, they've changed the treadmill timing in the gym and I was stuck with one that I had to restart every 10 mins, would have been over 6km otherwise as for some reason I felt like going faster than normal :) Was supposed to be 6.5km but got fed up restarting the treadmill.

~10.5km 60 mins 11,000+ strides on crosstrainer.

Nice workout to get the heartrate going, I could prob do more than 10.5km in the hour but I read while doing this workout so it's just as much relaxation as anything else...

Was going to do some squatting, but time caught up with me and had to run to catch a bus.

First time in the pool since last August or September. Was just supposed to be relaxing in the jacuzzi but decided to swim a few lengths too. Tried to keep the pace down to maximise the distance I could go. Only got 240m and was puffing but I definitely enjoyed it so will try to add it in more in the future :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

• Repeat on left size.

That sounds like a good exercise actually...I might give that a go, shake up my usual routine. Will see if I can make 3x10 with 12 or 14kgs and let you know how I go!

An unplanned rest day today, gave blood earlier so won't be doing any exercise.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

celestial wrote: »
    That sounds like a good exercise actually...I might give that a go, shake up my usual routine. Will see if I can make 3x10 with 12 or 14kgs and let you know how I go!

Yeah try it out! I forgot to mention that you do a press up in between the rows, in case it wasn't obvious from my original post.

i.e.

row right
    row left
    press up

..repeat..

• Advertisement

Yeah try it out! I forgot to mention that you do a press up in between the rows, in case it wasn't obvious from my original post.

i.e.

row right
    row left
    press up

..repeat..

Maybe I'm being a bit dense... But do you do the press-ups while still holding the dumbbells? Do they not roll?

Yes, do the press up whilst holding the dumbbells. You have to tense your core alot when rowing to balance on one arm, and then you work hard to keep your hands in the correct position when pressing.

It will feel as if you are going to rip yourself in half after a set or two.

Cool, will try to give these a go at some point during the week.

11.63km 61:18 - in Phoenix Park, took me a long time to get my head into the run, didn't really enjoy it.

Boxing training - 1 hour

Was fecking knackered after boxing and the run earlier, usual 100+ press-ups, crunches etc. But wanted to do some squatting so:

Squats 50kg x8 55kg x8 57.5kg x8 x8
    Both 55kg and 57.5kg were PBs, if I do these on a day with less exercise beforehand then there's obviously loads in the tank. Bring on bodyweight :)

Seated Rows 8 plates x12 10 plates x10 x10

Seated Leg Press 9 plates x10 x10 x10
    Wanted to hit the quads.

The gym was packed so headed home after that, was feckin starving!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement