Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xebec's getting fit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

5.05km 25:40 - was planning on doing 8.05km, did the first 4km in 20 mins and fell apart after that. Have DOMS in my quads after the leg pressing/squats yesterday but was able to run through them, the bigger problems were my right calf cramping and my lack of energy, oh well.

Deadlifts 55kg x8 60kg x8 65kg x8 67.5kg x7

Assisted Pull-ups (7) x10 x10 x9
    Assisted Dips (7) x10 x10 x10
    Will reduce the assist next time...

Dumbbell Benchpress 30kg (2x15kg) x10 x10 x9
    Dumbbell Pull-over 15kg x10 x10 x10

Military Press 20kg (2x10kg) x10 x10 x8

Seated Row (10 plates) x10 x10 x10

Feels like I've disappeared from here because I've missed posting for a few days...

Wednesday 23rd
    Boxing training - 50 minutes, different session to usual, a lot of fun and still a good workout.

Was meant to do a tempo run after boxing, but just like earlier in the week I was feeling tired and run down so ended up just jogging for 20 mins.

Took a day off yesterday, partly because I wanted to give myself a chance to build up some energy levels and partly because I had a few beers too many on Wednesday night... oops!

Aiming for 6.5km and some weights this evening, will see how I go...

If anyone is looking for some motivation to push out the last rep on a set of weights or to run that extra km when they don't feel like it, then take a look at this excellent post on Eric Cressey's blog. Some excellent principles to guide all sports peoples.

6.5km 33:36 - nice to finally get a decent run in :)

Squats 50kg x8 55kg x8 57.5kg x8 60kg x7 x6
    The 60kg is a PB, really couldn't get those last few reps, would have had to drop the weight.

Incline Bench Press 30kg (2x15kg) x10 x10 x10

Incline Row 25kg x10 x10 x10

12.41km 66:24 - nice long run after a very lazy weekend!

A combination of 3+ hours travelling today and feeling like ****e means that there was no exercise today. Early to bed and hopefully feel less sick tomorrow, if I'm feeling better I'll go for some combination of boxing/running/weights, prob first two.

5.25km 26:00

Well after waking up feeling like **** and then travelling on a train for 3 hours I decided I'd give the gym a go and see if I could sweat some of this illness out of me. I haven't felt like there was so much energy in my legs for ages and was able to run faster than normal, but unfortunately I started to get stomach cramps at around 2km and by 5km they were so bad that I had to give up. Oh well, at least I did something and I deffo feel better for it now :)

Weight is 73.3kg, slightly up on last measurement a few weeks ago but not too worried. Once finals are over in 6 weeks I'll get my diet sorted and try to kick the last 5 or 6kg that I want to lose. 73kg is still a hell of a lot better than the 90kg I was a year ago :D

8 x 400m intervals, 400m easy 400m fast, picking up speed every second interval. Total distance 7.2km, total time ~41mins (including warm-up and cool down).

Assisted Pull-ups (6) x10 x7 x6
    Assisted Dips (6) x10 x10 x10
    Jees, really felt like there was no assist at all! Pull-ups were hard work, dips were hard but got through them.

Deadlift 60kg x8 65kg x8 67.5kg x8 70kg x8 x8
    Just a quick session today...

Friday 2nd May:

6.65km 33:54 - nice run, pushed the pace out a bit at the end to get under 34:00. Was stuck for time so didn't get anything else done.

30 mins on crosstrainer, 15 mins on bike plus 30 mins cycle to and from the gym.

Didn't have time to do anything else, gym was closing. Looking forward to a long run tomorrow.

14.36km 77:16 - cracking day for a run today, the park was packed compared to normal. Not looking forward to feeling the sunburn tonight/tomorrow. I'm now the proud owner of one blister that has grown but doesn't hurt and a lovely new one on my heel which hurts like hell!! Oh well, the body glide works great but need to apply it to more places on my feet :) My calves feel like they're about an inch shorter than they need to be but plenty of stretching should sort that out!

This was my longest run ever, didn't have a plan when I went out for exactly what course I was going to follow, but just kept going and did a complete lap of the Park so well chuffed :)

• Advertisement

40 minutes playing squash, first time ever playing and had a great time and worked up a great sweat!

5km 24:14 - was supposed to be a recovery run, went a bit faster to get 5km in before having to reset the treadmill

Core stuff

Incline Row 25kg x10 x10 x10

Dumbbell Military Press 20kg (2 x 10kg) x10 x10 x10

Standing Dumbbell Row 20kg (2 x 10kg) x10 x10 x10

Seated Leg Press (9 plates) x10 (10 plates) x10 x10

Assisted Pull-ups (6) x10 x8 x7

Squats 50kg x8 55kg x8 57.5kg x8 60kg x8 x6
    Nearly failed the last rep on 60kg so left it there...

Gym was way busier than normal this evening, wanted to do some benching but couldn't get at a bench.

9.65km 47:20 - that's 6 miles at under 8 mins a mile, well pleased with that, really enjoyed the run even though I was dripping with sweat at the end of it...

5.8km 12:00 on exercise bike, cross country course maxing out at level 17.

Want to push the amount of cardio up again, it has fallen down while I have been concentrating on running. Got great results with losing weight while doing loads of cardio before, so will be doing more bike and crosstrainer while keeping up weight lifting.

Tempo run 45 mins 10 easy, 25 at 5k pace, 10 easy, total distance ~8km.

Assisted Pull-ups (6) x10 x8 x6

Deadlift 60kg x8 65kg x8 70kg x8 x8

That's all I had time for yesterday...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Hey xebec, great reading on your log to date - I can definately see improvement in your running times.

ike wrote: »
    Hey xebec, great reading on your log to date - I can definately see improvement in your running times.

Thanks for the encouragement, I find it a bit hard sometimes to keep myself motivated because I'm training by myself - but I don't have time at the moment to join a club. Using plans helps though and I'm running way faster and further than I ever thought I could :)

5km 26:32

6.44km 15:00 on exercise bike, taking it pretty handy.

Rest day tomorrow, need it after a pretty heavy week. Have a few niggles/tight muscles.

Rest day today. On a side note, I've had a niggle in my left glute all week since playing squash on Tuesday... It's been ok and hasn't stopped me training, but today was squatting down to pick up a bag of popcorn in the local shop and ever since it's been feckin killing me! Hopefully it'll calm down soon, was planning on doing a 5k on Friday and have signed up for the Docklands 8k in a little over a week. Oh well...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

xebec wrote: »
    ... today was squatting down to pick up a bag of popcorn

That's karma! Popcorn and fitness don't mix :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Thanks for the encouragement, I find it a bit hard sometimes to keep myself motivated because I'm training by myself - but I don't have time at the moment to join a club. Using plans helps though and I'm running way faster and further than I ever thought I could :)

I'm in a similar position not in a club ect. What helps te keep me motivated is always having a few events in the future the thoughts of doing sh!te or DNFing usually get me out there. Something like what you have started with the two races you signed up for. Though I'm a tad anti-social and perfer to train by myself;) Good luck with the races.

• Advertisement

BossArky wrote: »
    That's karma! Popcorn and fitness don't mix :pac:

Quiet you! Popcorn is my guilty pleasure... :p

Taking another rest day today instead of cross-training, my leg doesn't feel too bad today but I've a sore throat so going to take it easy. This is a wind-down week anyway.

Total distance this week was about 42km, next week should be a lot shorter with focus on the races.

Sore throat has turned into a chest infection. Not feeling so hot this evening, pity because I was really looking forward to doing 12+km either this morning or evening.

Played squash for 40 mins in the afternoon, can barely walk after it, whatever is wrong with my glute didn't like me running after a squash ball... Some ice this evening and it feels a bit better.

Will play tomorrow by ear, if I'm feeling better I'll do something, even if it's just some time on the exercise bike.

Still sick. Heading to the doctor in about 30 mins. Have given up hope of making the 5k race on Friday, but will hopefully still get out for the 8k race on Tuesday...

Unfortunately I have to prioritise other things at the moment, I'm in final year and my exams start in 7 days so need to sort out my health before rushing back into training...

It sucks though, haven't done anything really since Friday and my sleep patterns are reflecting it. I wanna go running...

15.4km 30:00 on exercise bike, just taking it easy but working up a bit of a sweat...

Not the best idea to go to the gym while sick I know, but I figured 30 mins wouldn't kill me. Was hard work though!! Damn doctor's surgery was closed, debating whether to go tomorrow or not...

3km ~16:30 - was hard work, left it at that cos my shins were starting to hurt after nearly a week without running.

5km 24:05 - Civil Service Harriers race on trails in Phoenix Park. Was great fun, nice crowd and great weather :)

• Advertisement

5km 24:05 - Civil Service Harriers race on trails in Phoenix Park. Was great fun, nice crowd and great weather :)

Congrats great stuff especially considering you haven't being on top form the last week.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Congrats great stuff especially considering you haven't being on top form the last week.

Cheers, was hard work alright and the time wasn't the best, but I figure a combination of the grass and me still coughing up crap was the cause of that :rolleyes:

Today:

8.57km 44:13 - nice run this evening in Phoenix Park, sun was setting and was very few people around. Nothing else now until docklands 8k on Tuesday, hope to get under 40 mins but not going to be disappointed if I don't...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck tomorrow and cheers for your post

Docklands Run

8km 38:33
    - great run, was aiming for 40 minutes so delighted to get in under that! Spent the first few minutes trying to get around groups of fun runners who were slowly moving along in groups 4 or 5 people wide... oh well, still enjoyed the flat and fast course :)

Your making me envious with all these races, achieving your goals. I have only had one so far this year and have to wait a month for the next. You get those furstrating groups of people at most big runs. Its a pity but you just have to work around it. Congrats on your time.

• Advertisement

Super stuff Xebec, I think there's a few of us on the logs at the same level at the moment, so we can push ourselves harder, looking forward to these rivalries:D

Your making me envious with all these races, achieving your goals. I have only had one so far this year and have to wait a month for the next.

But mine are quite a bit shorter than yours and obviously take less out of me. I like the racing though, even though I've no hope of ever winning any it's great to keep challenging myself...
    You get those furstrating groups of people at most big runs. Its a pity but you just have to work around it. Congrats on your time.

Yeah, I know. Doesn't mean I won't moan about it though. Actually made a conscious effort to try to get near the front this time but ended up being crowded out by those who came to the start late from the group warm-up. Thanks again Oddyseus, now for the next one...
    Woddle wrote: »
    Super stuff Xebec, I think there's a few of us on the logs at the same level at the moment, so we can push ourselves harder, looking forward to these rivalries:D

Yeah, seems like there are a few of us around the same time alright :) We might have to introduce ourselves at the Adidas series or something and get some proper competitive racing going on...

Anyways, the next two weeks are going to be sparse on the training front. Had the 1st of my finals today after 2 years of studying for them (long story), so there'll be less structure about my training until they're over and I figure out what my next race is likely to be. Think I'll up my weight training for the next few weeks and maybe spend some time on the bike/crosstrainer.

5km 25:54 - started out as a recovery run, finished up a bit faster than I had planned :)

Squats
    50kg x8
    55kg x8
    57.5kg x8
    60kg x8
    62.5 x8 x5

Felt a slight twinge in my left glute which I hurt playing squash a few weeks ago on the last set so left it at 5...

Assisted Pull-ups (6) x10 x9 x5

DB Bench Press
    30kg (2 x 15kg) x10
    24kg x10 x10

DB Pullover 15kg x10 x10 x10

Was absolutely shattered at that stage, first time doing weights in ages, so left it there. Pleased with the squats, now time to start pushing the deadlifts again.

I haven't disappeared off the face of the earth... Haven't had time to do any exercise for the last few days because of bloody exams. Had DOMs all over after the weights session on Thursday. Next exam is tomorrow before a week off, if I'm not too tired afterwards I'll try to get to the gym...

3km 16:00 - having a rough day. Couldn't do any more.

5km 25:12 - pretty fast, according to the treadmill my heartrate was ~190 when I started to walk to cool down a bit, oops...

Deadlift
    60kg x8
    65kg x8
    70kg x7 x3
    Grip was slipping on the 70's and form was shocking on 2nd set so stopped it, but I think it was more of a mental thing than anything else that stopped me pushing on to 75kg. But I haven't DL'd in ages, so this was ok.

Seated Leg Press
    (10 plates) x10 x10 x10

Incline T-bar Row
    30kg x10 x10 x7

5km 27:05 - treadmills are boring.

3.35km 20:00 3700+ strides on crosstrainer - so are crosstrainers.

8.57km 42:19 - two minutes faster than two weeks ago on same route.

Seems like I was the only runner on here not doing a marathon today, but I thoroughly enjoyed my run in the Park today, was nice to get away from the books for an hour. Just 2 more exams and my 5 years in college is finally over!! Bring on Wednesday!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

good stuff xebec id say you cant wait to finish on wednesday.

and your right about threadmills:D

Cheers for your comment regarding weights program for a runner and I have been reading your log for a while now,some great stuff and keep it up

• Advertisement

Have been taking it very easy over the last few days... Finished college last week and I've been partying a little bit :) Back to the training this week...

6.6km 31:58 - flew through the first 2.6km, was a real struggle after that. Had planned on going further, but cut it short. I guess it's not bad for only the 2nd run in two weeks...

On another note, I get to go gym shopping later today. I'm in Wexford for the next 2 months and so will actually have to pay for a gym. Will prob go back to my old gym in Whites as the facilities in general are pretty good, the only thing that's turning me off is the minimal free weights equipment...

On a side note, my weight has gone up over the last few weeks. Over the last few days it's been everywhere from 73 - 75.5kg, I think it's actually at around 74kg. Gonna try and get back on track with the diet and liquid intake over the next few weeks and see if I can get below 70kg. My diet over the last few weeks of study had far too many Chinese takeaways in it for one person to be eating! Will try to steer clear of those for a while :)

7 x 400m intervals (400m easy, 400m fast) ~33:30

Joined my old gym in Whites hotel in Wexford today... It's nice being back in a nice space, although the minimal free weights may annoy me as time goes on...

6.65km 33:58

Squat
    50kg x8
    55kg x8
    60kg x8 x8 x8

Bench
    25kg x10 x10
    30kg x10 x10

Military Press
    20kg x10 x10 x5

Pull-ups
    BW x4 x4 x4
    (dead chuffed cos I've never managed them for bw before :), no assisted machine in this gym)

DB Pullover
    16kg x10 x10 x10

Bent over row
    20kg x10
    25kg x10 x10

There's no 1.25kg plates in this gym, so all my increments for the next few months are gonna be 5kg... There is a jacuzzi though :D Tried to do some extra time on the bike at the end, but finding motivation hard, must remember to bring my other iPod home from Dublin tomorrow.

Saturday 14th...

14.65km 25:00 on exercise bike.

10:00 on crosstrainer.

Had planned on doing some more, but a combination of laziness and being caught for time meant that 35 mins was it.

Supposed to be a long run today, but my chest is very tight so I might give it a skip. Will see later.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Saturday 14th...

14.65km 25:00 on exercise bike.

10:00 on crosstrainer.

Had planned on doing some more, but a combination of laziness and being caught for time meant that 35 mins was it.

Supposed to be a long run today, but my chest is very tight so I might give it a skip. Will see later.

get off your arse and get out there. If its not going well then cut it short but at least give it a go..

10.12km 49:00 - first time breaking 50 mins for 10k, and I wasn't even trying :)
    copacetic wrote: »
    get off your arse and get out there. If its not going well then cut it short but at least give it a go..

Thanks, I needed that. My head hasn't been in the right place lately between finishing college and having withdrawal symptoms from coming off one of my meds. But encouragement like that is great!! Thanks!!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

10.12km 49:00 - first time breaking 50 mins for 10k, and I wasn't even trying :)

Thanks, I needed that. My head hasn't been in the right place lately between finishing college and having withdrawal symptoms from coming off one of my meds. But encouragement like that is great!! Thanks!!

Sweet Run...

5km 25:57 - recovery run.

Spent 30 mins stretching and doing some core work, haven't spent that long stretching in ages.

Gym was packed so left weights till tomorrow...

• Advertisement

8.05km 40:54

Bench Press
    40kg x10
    45kg x7 x5
    (Both are PB's, had a spotter today which gave me some confidence)

Deadlift
    60kg x8
    65kg x8 x8

Pull-ups
    BW x3

Feckin knackered after that...

Advertisement