Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xebec's getting fit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Short assessment in the gym today:

Weight 72.9kg - compared to ~85kg a year ago
    Bodyfat 16.2% - compared to ~23% a year ago

40 minute tempo run (10 easy, 20 fast, 10 easy) 7.35km - glad to get through this, still have a bit of a mental block with tempo runs...

Dips (on bench)
    BW x10 x10 x10

Pull-ups
    BW x5 x3 x3

Hanging Leg Raises
    x10 x10 x10

Seated Leg Press
    80kg x10
    85kg x10 x10

13.99km 25:00 on exercise bike

Great workout today, really pushed myself that bit extra. First time in ages that I've felt able to do some extra cardio apart from running - helped that the TV on the bike was working :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

xebec wrote: »
    Short assessment in the gym today:

Weight 72.9kg - compared to ~85kg a year ago
    Bodyfat 16.2% - compared to ~23% a year ago

Well done - that's great progress. You'll have to change the thread title soon ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Wow xebec, that's an awesome change. It never ceases to amaze me the level of inspiration provided by the logs on here. Wtg :)

5km 23:50 - short and fast, I've only done 5k faster once, and this is about 2 mins faster than I've done it on a treadmill before...

No time for anything else, but happy with that. Tomorrow is a rest day, 13 hour shift in work, lucky me!

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Well done - that's great progress. You'll have to change the thread title soon ;)

Thanks. I dunno about changing the thread title, I know I'm fitter, but I still don't see myself as 'fit'. Still so much more that I want to and can achieve!

• Advertisement

Crosstraining day today:

15.24km 25:00 exercise bike

6.99km 25:00 crosstrainer

Nice jacuzzi afterwards :)

10.12km 52:09 - same route as last week (opposite direction), about 3 minutes slower but that's because of the wind and the (slight) overindulgence last night :)

Total running for week = ~35.5km

Put in my entry for the adidas 5 mile race in 3 weeks time this evening, be great to race again...

6.01km 29:05

Felt like **** when I got home from work this evening and decided to give the gym a skip - didn't sleep very well last night and was really feeling run down. But after some dinner and rest I started to wake up so decided I'd give the recovery run a go. Was a little longer than the 5km I should have been doing, and I really don't know how to pace myself outdoors as it should have been 3 or 4 mins longer but I feel so much better for having gotten out and done it!

It's gonna be a strange week for exercise this week, definitely a case of fitting it in when I can. Going to visit some friends for a few days and my degree result is out on Friday... eek!!

Good luck with the results xebec :)

8 x 400m intervals (400m easy, 400m fast) 39:33 7.2km

This speed session was scheduled for tomorrow, but I'm not sure whether I'll get a run in or not so moved it forward to today. Got through it well, felt very strong...

Deadlift
    60kg x8
    65kg x8 x8 x8

Pullups
    BW x6 x3 x3

Dips (on bench)
    x10 x10 x10

Hanging Leg Raises
    x10 x10 x10

• Advertisement

14.94km 79:34 - great run in Phoenix Park today... Got absolutely soaked!!! Could have gone further but decided that was enough for today. Not especially quick, but it's one of the longest runs I've done and I felt comfortable throughout, so very happy all in all. Don't know what the plan is for tomorrow... By this time tomorrow I'll have my degree result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

xebec wrote: »
    14.94km 79:34 - great run in Phoenix Park today... Got absolutely soaked!!! Could have gone further but decided that was enough for today. Not especially quick, but it's one of the longest runs I've done and I felt comfortable throughout, so very happy all in all. Don't know what the plan is for tomorrow... By this time tomorrow I'll have my degree result.

That's a nice run given the horrible weather today - well done. Good luck in your results ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

best of luck with the results, post up how you go if you get a chance, all going well just enjoy a day off from training and let yourself go. Can catch it all up over the weekend..

6.5km 31:53 - had to push it out at the end to get below 8 min miles...

Squat
    50kg x8
    55kg x8
    60kg x8 x6

Pullups
    BW x5 x4 x4

Bicep Curls
    20kg x10 x10 x10

Yesterday... Had packed my gym gear and was going to head to the gym before meeting a friend for lunch. Wasn't really in the mood and went for a wander around Grafton St instead, bought a suit which is much needed for work in September.

Then results... I got a first :D Of course I'm thrilled with this, makes all the hard work worthwhile! Now if only I could get my mother to stop telling everyone... Talk about embarrassing!!

Training for the next week is going to be a bit hit and miss... Am working 11 or 13 hour shifts on 3 days so will have to get whatever I can done when I get a chance. Tomorrow is long run day, but again Real Life might get in the way, hopefully not though.

Congratulations xebec - enjoy it :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Well done with the exam results!

wow on the results man, well done! let your mum do her thing, it's not like things like that come up much for them to brag about...

11.2km 56:11 - nice steady run today. I tripped on a piece of uneven path about 200m from home and ripped my knee open. Also stubbed my big toe which is absolutely killing me now, I can barely walk. Wasn't even being clumsy, was just stupid an annoying, hopefully it won't prevent me from training this week...

Total for the week ~45km which is great!

Enforced day off today, toe isn't too bad but is bruised to hell. My knee is swollen, sore and slightly infected. So today was off, definitely going to skip running tomorrow - might have a short cycle or something instead - and will see how I'm getting on for a run on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Sorry to hear that mate, its a fecker when sh!t like messes with your training routine, hopefully you will be back out there again in a few days.

• Advertisement

Odysseus wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that mate, its a fecker when sh!t like messes with your training routine, hopefully you will be back out there again in a few days.

Cheers dude.

My knee is finally starting to heal, although there's still plenty of puss coming out of it. It's not as sore and swollen any more which is a good thing, but still pretty tender to the touch. Was going to head to the gym this evening when I came home from work, but I fell asleep so will go tomorrow on my day off instead. Need to get some good miles in between now and Monday, before easing off for the 5 mile race in the Park on the 12th.

Be careful of that xebec sounds nasty. You might need an antibiotic or something if it's infected?? About a year ago I fell running for a train (:o) and ended up with a similar cut and spent about 6 weeks getting it dressed every few days in the hospital because I didn't take care of it initially! Hope it feels better soon.

Be careful of that xebec sounds nasty. You might need an antibiotic or something if it's infected?? About a year ago I fell running for a train (:o) and ended up with a similar cut and spent about 6 weeks getting it dressed every few days in the hospital because I didn't take care of it initially! Hope it feels better soon.

Yeah, I've been careful... And I actually work in a hospital at the moment, so I've been getting some of the nurses to keep an eye on it. Although my mother is a nurse too and she complains that they don't know what they're talking about cos they're medical nurses and she gives different advice cos she was a surgical nurse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭Hornd

Well done on the results man. Good luck and hope everything works out well.

Thursday 3/7:

5km ~27:00 - couldn't get into the groove at all, was planning on doing more but at least it's something. Knee wasn't too bad, but was getting distracted by the dressing falling off - no one in the gym needed to see what was under it!

Seated Leg Press
    85kg x10 x10 x10

Dumbbell Pullover
    16kg x10 x10 x10

Pullups
    BW x5 x4 x2

Dips (bench)
    BW x10 x10 x10

Shoulder Press
    20kg (2 x 10kg) x10 x10 x10

Friday 4/7:

40 min tempo run (10 easy, 20 fast, 10 easy) ~7.1km
    - was supposed to be 45 mins, but I nearly died in the middle and cut it back by 5 mins...

9.65km 50:51 - Just taking it easy, proving to myself that I could do the distance :)

12.64km 64:38 - good long run, bit slow but comfortable. A few niggles but will be taking it easy this week anyway.

Week total: 34.4km

Weight after run this morning was 11 stone 4 pounds (~71.6kg), first time I've gone below 160lbs in a long time!! Happy considering how crap my diet has been lately...

Monday 8th July:

5km 23:34 - em, supposed to be a recovery run at the start of a wind down week... Started fast, kept getting faster, ran my fastest 5k yet, oops!!

Lateral Raises
    12kg (2 x 6kg) x10
    8kg (2 x 4kg) x10 x10

Leg Press
    90kg x10
    95kg x10 x10

Pressup/Row core workout
    x10 x10 x10

• Advertisement

Congrats on the 5k time xebec (it'll be a long time before i manage a sub-25 5k I'd imagine!)

good luck on saturday :)

5km 24:26 - nice short run, last proper one before Saturday... Just some stretching afterwards. Intervals tomorrow, 13 hour shift on Thursday so nothing, might go for a swim on Friday morning, but nothing too strenuous.

5 x 400m intervals (400m fast, 400m slow) 4.9km 26:30 - last workout before Saturday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

best of luck tommorrow xebec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

As sungod said best of luck, are you aiming for any particular time?

SUNGOD wrote: »
    best of luck tommorrow xebec
    Woddle wrote: »
    As sungod said best of luck, are you aiming for any particular time?

Cheers guys, best of luck to you both too! (Although SUNGOD has prob finished by now :pac:)

Today was just a relaxing time in the pool, about 10 lengths followed by a long jacuzzi... Am wrecked now after work and driving back to Dublin, so it's an early night for me.

• Advertisement

Didn't go so well for me compared to Woddle and figs... I finished in about 39 minutes, which is still fairly respectable but not what I was hoping for. Just wasn't feeling in the groove today, thought I was going to puke a few times, didn't enjoy it so much. But I finished which is still the main thing for me, and the t-shirt is pretty cool :)

can't tell much from today, tough awkward course, crap weather, slippy roads and hill comes at a bad time and it was a bit chaotic. It is more of an experience one than a good one for benchmarking your time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

As copacetic said, wasn't a day for many great times, if anything well done and take encouragement from your time and use it for a less packed race in the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

I've had days like that too xebec. Even when you've done everything right in training, and legs still like lead on the day. All you can do is dig in and finish. 39mins still not bad.

Yea, hill was tough. I really felt it. I think I got a bit lucky too with my positioning, as I managed to stay in space for most of the race. Looking ahead though, there were guys running on top of each other. Saw one guy fall badly cos someone cliped his heels... Needless to say, he wasn't a happy camper. :(

Checked the results today, my chip time was 39 minutes exactly, which having thought about it was actually fine considering the conditions etc. Finished in 803rd place out of over 2900, so that makes it look even better ;)

I don't know at this point what my next race will be, but probably nothing till the half marathon in September or maybe after that. I'm going away sailing for the majority of August and there's only so much running around in circles on a small boat I can do before I get dizzy and fall overboard so the running will stop for those 3 weeks. Then start a new job in September and will be travelling a lot for training so running might be hit and miss... Have been debating the marathon lately and at this point I don't think it'd be sensible to do it this year with the gap in training and stuff. Although I may change my mind and just do it for the atmosphere and enjoyment without worry about my pace - it'd be my first so I figure I'm as well off trying to enjoy it as going for a time. We'll see...

Anyway, I think I'll try to up my distances for the next few weeks before I go away, would like to get my long runs over 10 miles and my weekly totals over 30 miles so that'll be my thing for a while. Going to up the weight training a bit too now that I'm not going to be so focused on the running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi xebec nothing wrong with 39 minutes especially considering the large field and conditions so well done.you finished in the top third of runners as well ,good stuff keep it up

9.65km (6 miles) 48:31 - back into some training. Not planning on doing a marathon, but I like following a program so I'm going to do some of a Hal Higdon marathon program to build up the distance as much as anything.

6.45km (4 miles) 31:39

Squats
    50kg x8
    55kg x8
    60kg x8
    65kg x5

Pullups
    BW x5 x5 x3

Bench Press
    30kg x10
    35kg x10
    40kg x10

Dumbell Pullover
    16kg x10 x10 x10

Hanging Knee Ups
    x10 x10 x10

Good session today, was knackered after it... Tomorrow looks like an enforced day off with a 12 hour shift and a night out afterwards :D

11.27km (7 miles) 56:21

So after a few days of rest (and over indulgence in alcohol) finally got back to doing some running tonight. Am absolutely shattered after it, but was good run anyway. There's less than 2 weeks now till I head to Norway for 3 weeks of sailing, so the structure to my training will be less. Have 3 long days at work this week so prob no exercise on those, and might have another night out later in the week...

Weight currently just over 71kg which is fine by me, we'll see what 3 weeks of excellent food and limited exercise will do to that :)

Wednesday 23rd July

6.01km (3.73 miles) 28:10 - late run after finishing work. Work is really taking it out of me at the moment, I'm finishing up next Thursday and I can't wait! Exercise has really taken a back seat :(

Sunday 27th July

~5km ~30:00
    - was visiting with a friend yesterday and talked her into going for a run. She used to be a *very* good runner when she was in school in California (or at least she says she was) but has let it slip in the last year or two... I let her set the pace, she was nearly dead and I had barely broken a sweat, very enjoyable though :)

5km 24:48 - short run today because of time constraints, last day at work tomorrow... Bring on Sunday and Norway!!

So after 3 weeks sailing around Norway and racing across the North Sea to Holland, I'm finally back in the real world and it's time to get the fitness buzz going again...

Managed to actually lose some weight while away even though there was lots of good food and the odd beer or 10...

My only specific piece of exercise (apart from hauling on ropes at crazy hours in the morning) was a hill climb called Stoltzekleiven Opp in Bergen. This is a 900m long race which goes to the top of a 300m hill, the course is all 'steps' which are actually uneven rocks. Was an absolute bitch of a climb, did it in about 23 mins which was bloody slow but I valued my life more than getting to the top of that hill quickly!

Anyways, enough rambling... Back to running/gym tomorrow. Must decide what to aim for next, going to spend a month in hotels for Sept so it's hard to make a firm plan but we'll see...

6.45km (4 miles) 34:15 - much slower than usual but a good start back. HR was flying by the end...

Pull-ups
    BW x6 x4 x3

Dips (bench)
    BW x10 x10 x10

Seated Leg-Press
    95kg x10 x10 x10

Hanging Leg Raises
    x10 x10

Bicep Curls
    20kg x10 x10 x10

8.05km (5 miles) 40:51 - feeling very stiff before and after the run today...

• Advertisement
Advertisement