Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forcing you to sign up if not in writing

Options
  • 26-01-2008 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭

The other half is trying to pick the eircom broadband starter pack because of the cheap router as the other one is broken.

She was in a shop and they said you must sign up to eircom to get it for €25.

If they can't show you something in writing that states you must sign up to Eircom to purchase it for €25 can they refuse to sell you it to for €25?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sorry if I misread it but your partner wants to buy the router (part of a starter pack) but doesn't want to sign up to internet broadband? Is that right?

If that's the case then of course Eircom can refuse it. They are probably subsidising the router.
    It's a bit like walking into a Vodafone store and choosing some fancy bill phone for €50 and then refusing to sign a Vodafone contract. Vodafone won't allow it as they subsidising that phone from over €200 probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Trampas

Basically yes. We have eircom broadband also.

Your line is active so you are buying the good to use it so thus you are paying for BB.

Just replacing the eircom router with another eircom router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

As micmclo used it would be like walking in to the phone shop trying to get the subsidised contract price. Im pretty sure they have it as a term and condition on display somewhere in the shop for that Broadband router in fact its probably on the box stating something like "This package is part of......." or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Trampas

Im pretty sure they have it as a term and condition on display somewhere in the shop for that Broadband router in fact its probably on the box stating something like "This package is part of......." or something like that.

The case is if they don't have something like that.

Where do they stand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm fairly certain they have this written somewhere. Maybe there is a terms and conditions leaflet in the pack.
    Ask the staff again.

Going back to your first question, it doesn't matter if it's on offer €25 as they can still refuse to sell it to you.
    If you've spent any time at all in this forum you will read about "invitation to treat".

Tbh, if you are an Eircom customer and your broken router isn't covered by warranty, ask will they give you another one and threaten to leave if they don't.
    It may or may not work, worth a try :)
    I've no idea what these routers generally cost though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Eircom are not selling a router. The 'eircom broadband starter pack' is a service sold at the rate €25 per month. The router is FREE if you sign a contract for that service. The OP and their 'other half' appear to be quite confused about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Eircom are not selling a router. The 'eircom broadband starter pack' is a service sold at the rate €25 per month. The router is FREE if you sign a contract for that service. The OP and their 'other half' appear to be quite confused about this.
    yes you must buy the broadband package to get the router free and to the op, if you are already on any eircom broadband package you are not eligible for the offer of the free router!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

While leeroy is indeed correct in what he says there is some good news in this other thread for Trampas , stick to reading the last 2 or 3 pages there Trampas as the older ( pre sept 2007) stuff is out of date now :)

I recommend you catch them when they are very busy in Dixons or Currys on a saturday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

First off i have no idea what a router is :D...but... i did try to sign up to eircim broadband about 5 months ago. They sent me out the box with all the stuffi in it..the box, connections etc..only to be told (when we couldint connect) that our line is not broad band ready :confused:.

We were never charged for it and its sitting there like an ornament since. So if this is the magical rourter thingy youre more than welcome to it.

Just PM me. we can post it or send it up with someone if u want it.

Advertisement