Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oberland Arms Rifles ?

• 26-01-2008 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

I'm a bit curious, I read on here recently that someone was looking for AR15 parts and was wondering if anyone had actually been able to license any of Oberland Arms AR-15 style rifles in .223 or 5.56mm.

Or would they automatically fall under the Superintendents "I dont like the looks of that" category?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I read on here recently that someone was looking for AR15 parts and was wondering if anyone had actually been able to license any of Oberland Arms AR-15 style rifles in .223 or 5.56mm.

Yes, they have. It is a semi auto straight pull AR-15.
    I have seen sevral semi auto centre fire rifles licenced in ROI.
    would they automatically fall under the Superintendents "I dont like the looks of that" category?

Not always. At the moment that category seems to change from Superintendent to Superintendent.

If you want one and can demonstrate a good reason to have one, apply and see what happens. What have you got to loose?

If you manage to get a FAC for one, you would not be the first as you can see from the other thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

ironsight wrote: »
    I'm a bit curious, I read on here recently that someone was looking for AR15 parts and was wondering if anyone had actually been able to license any of Oberland Arms AR-15 style rifles in .223 or 5.56mm.

Or would they automatically fall under the Superintendents "I dont like the looks of that" category?

No problem getting one if you've got a good reason for it. They're a great rifle & so customisable. I was informed by Frank in Oberland Arms this week that at the moment they're having trouble getting some parts. If you order one now you may have to wait until Sept/Oct before you get it. But in my view they are worth the wait.

If you are having trouble getting a licence for a standard AR you could always get it customised. See attached. Surely no one would have issue with this:-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭ironsight

packas wrote: »
    I was informed by Frank in Oberland Arms this week that at the moment they're having trouble getting some parts. If you order one now you may have to wait until Sept/Oct before you get it.

I am inclined to agree that any of the OA range would be worth the wait, but I heard from frank Satzinger at Oberland Arms and this is what he said.

Thanks for your intrest. Unfortunatly we can non sell our rifles outside of Germany as they contain parts that are manufactured in the U.S. - the export is regulated by U.S. law.

We`re already workin on a solution, please contact us again in summer/fall 2008.

So whats the deal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Unfortunatly we can non sell our rifles outside of Germany as they contain parts that are manufactured in the U.S.

Funny that, because I bought two new firearms that came from the US (manufactured in the US) they were then sent to Germany, then to me. No problems.

So whats the deal ?

Buy elsewhere perhaps.

• Advertisement

I am inclined to agree that any of the OA range would be worth the wait, but I heard from frank Satzinger at Oberland Arms and this is what he said.

Thanks for your intrest. Unfortunatly we can non sell our rifles outside of Germany as they contain parts that are manufactured in the U.S. - the export is regulated by U.S. law.

We`re already workin on a solution, please contact us again in summer/fall 2008.

So whats the deal ?

No idea what's going on. But I'm sure he'll sort it as it's costing him business. If the U.S. are doing this then it's more than OA rifles that will be affected. One example would be Karl Promersberger & the STI's that he sells. Does that mean that any STI pistol will be difficult to buy now :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I haven't researched this, but I suspect it's the U.S. government (State Department?) imposing restrictions on components/parts they don't want falling into the 'wrong hands'.
    The likes of Oberland are big enough to justify going through the necessary procedures to export such items, but must sign 'end user agreements' that they won't export them on to other jurisdictions/third parties.

We've come across similar situations here before, where people (myself included) were trying to 'personally import' an item from a U.S. vendor only to be told that the item was 'restricted' and could not be exported outside the U.S., while the identical item could be purchased from someone in the U.K. or Germany.
    Things like scopes with fancy ranging reticles and ballistic calculators/software spring immediately to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 aspects

Maybe you might like a Sig 551 I know a guy selling one a real dinger comes with 7 30 round clips 1 10 and the latest ACOG out in the USA not over this side of the world yet also red dot and HALO not cheap but its some pice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The US are indulging a lot of economic protectionism these days anyway. A lot of stuff is being kept domestic. Musical instruments included, so don't know whether this is a firearms only issue, but I do know that a lot of larger American retailers won't send stuff abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Maybe it has to do with the fact that Oberland has a six month back order time,and that most of teir sales are going to the US,that us here with individual salesare being put on the last to supply list?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭ironsight

Seems to be a mute point at this stage as it appears as if any of the OA rifles would now fall into the restricted category list.

Things are a little mad alright. Recently wanted to buy a new grip for my 40 cal balster but Brownells sent me this letter. It's just not worth the trouble. I'll probably buy from Prommersberger at a higher price :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

For a Grip??They sent all that???Grips are not classified as essential firearm components..But that is Brownells for you.If it is a small order outside CONUS they are not intrested.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement