Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22lr change

Options
  • 26-01-2008 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Can any .22 owners, who hunt, tell me how they account for the large drop outside 100yrds? I have a .17, but the cost of ammo is gettin to me now and i fancy a rifle change. Im thinkin of gettin a cz 452 in .22lr but having looked at ballistic charts and trajectory tables and from experience the .17 is a flatter shooter! any advice welcome!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Yeah your about at the limit of the 22Lr's effective range at 100 meters .
    I have heard of longer shots being made , but a "Real" 100 meters is a long way away for that round.

For hunting , I think your next logical step up might be a .204 , flatter faster
    and longer range .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

is your .17 centrefire or rimfire?? HMR(rimfire) rounds dont cost alot at all and its a great rabbiting gun if your looking for 100+ yard kills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

HMR, i wana stay rimfire for the moment and i can get 150 rnds .22lr for the price of 50 .17hmr!! thats why i want to or am thinkin about the change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

i wana stay rimfire for the moment

Well in that case you will just have to accept the limitations of the .22Lr if
    you decide to change to one . Think more in terms of an average reliable killing shot being around 70 yards.. and stalk or sneak a little closer.

You wont really get consistent groups or clean kills a lot further than that, and will end up just wounding a lot of stuff .

Not a very nice prospect .

that is what i was afraid of!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

If you just shooting bunnies, stay with the .17hmr
    50 rnds should do you ages,
    If your shooting targets and bunnies the 22lr would be cheaper.
    IMO cost of rounds should not be an issue when taking any animals life,
    100+ yard shots on bunnies with a 22lr leave more mamed and wounded to did slowly in thier earths.
    choose the best rifle sutable to do the job efficently which in your case is the .17hmr for rabbits at distances over 100 yards.

I see what your saying and i agree 100%, however what i want to do is, put so many rounds downrange( on targets) as to become proficient with the .22lr at various ranges so that when im hunting i am 100% confident of shot placement so i know that i can take the shot. The flatter trajectory of the .17 hmr allows alot for shooter error, where as the .22lr trajectory takes practice to adjust to its trajectory , ensuring that its the skill of the shooter in the shot and not the equipment hes using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

There's another thread here somewhere about this, and quite frankly the .22lr really does get a lot of bad press. I know a man who used to shoot deer with a .22 (long time ago), all head shots. Whistled to turn them towards him and then dropped them between the eyes.

We target shooter often shoot .22 at a hundred yards and the 10 ring is 1" in diameter. The drop of the shot does not mean it is less accurate, just that you have to zero or allow for it.

In any event you have lots of choice of ammo up to stingers to give you a bit flatter trajectory and a lot more oomph.

The other advantage is that if you use subs, at a 100 yards a miss will give you a second shot if you're using a moderator. The bunnies don't even know you've fired.

Ive decicded to go with the change, now to decide on a rifle to get! Oh and talk to the FO

newby.204 wrote: »
    Ive decicded to go with the change, now to decide on a rifle to get! Oh and talk to the FO

I think you've made a good choice newby. On rifle choice there are very many to choose from. My personal preference would be to go for an Anschutz, preferrably one with a heavier barrel and a two stage trigger. Very good for target and a really nice rifle to keep.

Have a look at the 64 series or if that's a bit heavy maybe the 1712.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yeah, I was looking at an Anschutz 64 MPR, and it seemed gorgeous. If you're looking for a bunny basher and all round target gun, seems as good as anything out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Did the same thing also as i want to shoot a bit more targets and wanted to change to semi

Picked up a really nice 1970 Brno 581 which is the original CZ 511 lovely rifle getting it tomorrow infact so will let you know how i get on but the price of rounds was annoying me and the whole subsonics and moderator thing appealed to me as well.

And €3 a box ammo for the real cheap stuff and a couple of tin cans sounds like a bit of fun on those long summer evenings with friends

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

weihrauch do a very nice .22 almost identical to the Anshutz but a good deal cheaper.

cz 452 varmint in .22lr for 450 anyone do any better??

cz 452 varmint in .22lr for 450 anyone do any better??
    It's not all about the price newby :D

The Anschutz 64 series cost about €750, and for a target barrel with a match trigger, that's not bad at all.

Yeah much better Brno mod 2 196- somthing in .22lr for €250

Take a trip to griffin hawe i didnt really shop around that much when buying my cz varmint .17 but i got mine for 480 new and gave me a really good deal on a trade in think he was asking for 415 for a new CZ .22 theres plenty for sale anyway

Brno's were the original CZ's and made to higher tolerances and out of better parts your only going to find second hand ones but they are alot of gun for the money.

Take you time trawl around rimfirecentral CZ (and others) for a while and see whats out there.

Buy the best you can as it will last you a life time

CZ
    anschutz
    Weirbach spelling?
    sako
    krico
    browning
    cooper

as a rule of thumb id stay away from marlin and savage they just arent anywhere near the quaility of the european firearms but over here they're not priced accordingly.

You wont go wrong with a CZ though and id go for a silouhette personally the varmints heavy enough and the only benifit is weight for steadiness one of the reasons i got rid of mine it didnt do my back any favours rabbit guns want s to be light and accurate

If you're going to shoot target at all, then you need the heavier barrel. The light barrels heat up very quickly and are not as accurate with increased flip etc.

Is 4Kg too much weight?

i could hump 4kg for hunting that aint that much. just had a look on anschutz site 64 mp r looks nice. griffin and hawe gave me the price of 450 for the cz 452 varmint .22lr, i know 750 aint alot rrpc but i want to spend a good bit on the scope!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I have an Anschutz 1710 heavy barrel, great for targets and I use it for rabbits too, it's not threaded though but I still use subs and bunnys don't mind

i could hump 4kg for hunting that aint that much. just had a look on anschutz site 64 mp r looks nice. griffin and hawe gave me the price of 450 for the cz 452 varmint .22lr, i know 750 aint alot rrpc but i want to spend a good bit on the scope!!

I know these decisions are difficult. If it helps at all, just think of it this way: A good scope will tell you that your rifle isn't good enough really clearly, a mediocre scope won't make your rifle worse.

To put it another way. I'd challenge anyone with a CZ sporter with the best scope money can buy against my target rifle with iron sights at a 100 yards.

:eek:

• Advertisement

rrpc wrote: »
    I know these decisions are difficult. If it helps at all, just think of it this way: A good scope will tell you that your rifle isn't good enough really clearly, a mediocre scope won't make your rifle worse.

To put it another way. I'd challenge anyone with a CZ sporter with the best scope money can buy against my target rifle with iron sights at a 100 yards.

:eek:

That's a challenge, now for someone to take it up...........my anchutz 1710 against your target rifle ? Rested or free-hand ? I must warn you I am a terrible shot freehand.............

bunny any chance of a pic??

rrpc i see what your saying, as im looking to puch paper and bunnies too i need to find the right balance between rifle scope and weight!!

CZ is an ordinary accurate .22 well capable od head shooting bunnies out to 100yards with an ok scope on it.

Its not going to win any competitions but will put little holes in paper reasonably close make up your mind with what you want save up and buy it

bunny any chance of a pic??

I'll get onto it have to get batteries for digital camera. I'll be back ...........

That's a challenge, now for someone to take it up...........my anchutz 1710 against your target rifle ? Rested or free-hand ? I must warn you I am a terrible shot freehand.............

I said a CZ, not an Anschutz ;)

But it would be jacket and sling. You don't think I'm going to hold a 7Kg rifle freehand?

CZ is an ordinary accurate .22 well capable od head shooting bunnies out to 100yards with an ok scope on it.

Its not going to win any competitions but will put little holes in paper reasonably close make up your mind with what you want save up and buy it

I'm not slagging off the CZ, I own a Brno which is much the same, but I'd never in a million years hope to beat a target rifle with it, and it's not in the same league as the Anschutz sporters either. Most of the difficulty lies in the trigger, but the barrel is too light as well.

so you would advise a 64mpr over a cz 452 rrpc? the barrel is a bit long on the 64 for a mod!!

newby here is my anschutz 1710

very nice very nice indeed, how much did that set you back??

anyone else have an anschutz, what model? how much? what does it shoot like?, and what do you use it for?

• Advertisement

very nice very nice indeed, how much did that set you back??

anyone else have an anschutz, what model? how much? what does it shoot like?, and what do you use it for?

Thanks, Ya, she's a beaut. Paid €800 S/H. it's extremely accurate. I shoot paper at midlands and bunnies, of course, (hence my nick-name) with her

Advertisement