Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth upgrading from amd 3800+ for games?

Options
  • 26-01-2008 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hey,

This summer I'll prob be upgrading the pc a bit when I've got a bit of spare cash and just wondering at the moment what I'll go with. It'll be for gaming purposes that I will be upgrading her for. I've got an ati x1950pro 512mb and 3gb ram so I think my upgrade should be the cpu which is an amd athlon 64 x2 3800+. What I want to know is whether there will be much of a difference or not in upgrading the cpu or would I be better of spending it elsewhere. Also would say an amd 6000+ use much more power than the current chip as I only have a 350w psu at the moment and the ati is supposed to need a 400w psu so I imagine i'm pretty much at my limit!

Cheers, Eamonn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/cpu_bottlenecks/8.html seems to conclude that you might be better spending on graphics rather than CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

depends on the game, some games are CPU intensive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭eamonntheviking

At the moment I'm playing stuff such as Call fo Duty 4, Bioshock, Orange box so I'm playing the newer stuff that is out there and would like to continue playing it at good settings. I'm finding on call of duty I can have all settings on high at 1440*900 but can't turn on any aa as it slows things down too much. I suppose really what I want to know is if I upgrade my graphics card will I not get the full use out of it because of my cpu?

Advertisement