Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance limits for provisional licence holders?

Options
  • 26-01-2008 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Ok what i was wondering is what limits are place on provisional licence holders in terms of engine size.

My cousin drives a 1.4 at present and has been insured for 2 years under his own name. But a provisional licence holder...he should have the test coming up soon.

Anyway he was talking about buying a 1.9 or 2.0 Audi A4, but i think he might not be able to get this insured under his own name.

Anyone know anything in this regard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is no hard and fast limit. I got quoted on a 1.8 when I was 17 on a provisional and insured on a 17 year old 1.6 - but it was something obscene.

Officially there is no limit at all and if you get a certain number of refusals the insurance ombudsman can obtain you a quote - which may be well in to the multiple thousands, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭dugout16

He was talking about it last night and will be ringing his insurer Quinn on monday to see to see whats the story. He's 28 so age might be in his favour...

I think anything over 1.6 could cause problems though

Advertisement