Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pot hole claim?

Options
  • 26-01-2008 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I hit a bad pot hole last week it was covered in water so I never saw it. Burst a tyre and bent the rim. Is there anyway to make a claim for damages to the council. How should I go about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭ColinJennings

Step 1. Go see a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

tuxy wrote: »
    Hey, I hit a bad pot hole last week it was covered in water so I never saw it. Burst a tyre and bent the rim. Is there anyway to make a claim for damages to the council. How should I go about it?

First thing i would do is take a photo of the pot hole and also damgage to your car. If the Council filled it, no chance of a claim. I've never heard of anyone claiming or being successful before when pursuing a claim against the council, always a first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I got a good settlement out of a pothole claim in 1987, lost controll and was flung over the bars of a motorcyce and suffered injurys, I sued the Dublin County council who sued Dublin Gas who in turn sued their sub contractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

As I understand things the council isn't responsible for new potholes in the road. However - if they have attempted to repair it and you damage your car then they are liable. Take pictures of pothole - including any signs of repair - different tarmac etc. Send to council with letter and receipts for damage to tyres and rims. They will try to fob you off - you need to be firm and threaten that you will go to solicitor - they will generally pay you a percentage of the damage done. If you pm me I can send you a typical letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭ColinJennings

Blanchguy is right in regard to the liability of the council. They are only liable for negligent repair, but if you are going to bring proceedings the first step, unless you are going to represent yourself, is to seek the advice of a solicitor. They can give you all the advice, both legal and non-legal, and they also provide you with protection in relation to confidentiality, professional negligence etc.

It is also the policy of boards.ie (in the legal discussions at least) not to give specific legal advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I got a good settlement out of a pothole claim in 1987, lost controll and was flung over the bars of a motorcyce and suffered injurys, I sued the Dublin County council who sued Dublin Gas who in turn sued their sub contractors.

So it was YOU that put Alliance Gas in to bankruptcy in 1987 then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055118182

Same problem for many it seems.

I was successful in the past though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Barlow07 wrote: »
    First thing i would do is take a photo of the pot hole and also damgage to your car. If the Council filled it, no chance of a claim. I've never heard of anyone claiming or being successful before when pursuing a claim against the council, always a first.

Guy I worked with from Scotland blew out a tyre and cracked an alloy on his 3 series on a road near Ratoath, in a crater (his words). Took pictures on camera phone there and then, put thr wheel in to be fixed/replaced and sent the bill to Meath Co council, who contested it...until he got a solicitor to send a letter to them and they posted him a cheque for his damage claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Barlow07 wrote: »
    I've never heard of anyone claiming or being successful before when pursuing a claim against the council, always a first.

I do know a case. A friend cracked his oil sump in a 3 series going down a step where the rouad was being resurfaced. The step itself was OK, but he won the case because there was no sign in place indicating that it was there. Council had to pay all costs.

Advertisement