Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insects Dying in House

Options
  • 26-01-2008 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

We have a small cottage in the country and as usual in the country you get your share of flies etc. We go to the house usually at weekends, and we have noticed that the bugs are dying or dead each weekend we get there. There are always a number of flies dead and some spiders. Now, barring all out warfare between the species when we are not there anyone any idea what could be killing them. We do have those gadgets plugged in which are supposed to keep them and vermin out, but I don't think they could be doing the damage. anyone any ideas??:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

The bad weather??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

Funny you mention that ,......
    I always keep an eye on the spiders in our house and especially out in the back shed , where i spend a fair bit of time !
    anyway, this is the time of year where prey are in very short supply for spiders , and yeah they do hunt each other out for food.

the king of the house spiders is the long thin spindle-type , they catchand eat those big thick hairy house spiders ! it looks like a mismatch , but the thin spiders are strongest.
    they then turn on their own (family) if there is nothing else to be had.
    i seen one actually pull a slug off the wall in our back garden. must be fierce strong !

Surely your not getting many flies in the cottage at this time o the year ?
    are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

Actually,..... i was going to post this a while ago but i decided not to as i figured people would think im taking the mick !!.....but......

is there anything you can feed a house spider ?, ie. like bread or something ?

i had this tiny little guy in the bathroom, who i had followed since birth !
    anyway , he made 2 substanstial catches , and beefed up , but when they havent had food in a few weeks , they go very colourless.
    I had been tempted to throw a fly into the web , but i cant kill a fly to save a spider. a moral dilema.

he finally left his corner when the hunger became too much ,.... and god only knows where he is now.

Advertisement