Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cat aggressive

Options
  • 26-01-2008 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi,

I got a new cat today! She is almost 4 years old and a friend needed to rehome her. So, this morning my friend brought her to the vet to get her booster vaccination and then brought her to my house. I had my own cat in my bedroom and decided to let the new cat have a quick wander around the house. She went straight to the bottom shelf of the hall table and has been there since 10am! She hisses and growls if I go near her but will lick tuna from my hand!! She has already drawn blood - mine!!! There has been no progress since 10am! According to my friend she is not normally aggressive. I know she has had a rotten day so far! I had planned on keeping her in the spare bedroom and let her settle in but she wouldn't even let my friend pick her up and that's why she's still sitting under the hall table! Has anyone any advice? My own cat is going mad to get out of my bedroom but I can't risk letting him out to meet the new cat yet. The new cat has a litter tray, food, water and bed in the hall. Help!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Give her a chance to acclimatise, the cat is out of her comfort zone and will take time to adjust.

Just don't rush her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

It is very important to give your new cat time to get use to its new surroundings. You need to make sure it has its own feed dish and water dish.... seperate, as cats don't like to drink and eat near each other. And also a litter tray away from these too. But also most important is to make sure they are not near your other cats stuff. The need to have free access to what they require. Let your other car out of the bedroom. Cats are not social animals unless they are siblings, they perfere their own company and solitude.

Most of all give it time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Shes probably just missing her old territory and surroundings. Just give her a few days. Shes probably nervous of all the new smells also, and people and surroundings. She will prob settle in time. I dont think cats like moving and some will go home again if they can. (even if its miles away)

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Just to back up whats been said before - yes, just give her time.

If I were you I would confine her to one quiet room for a while, and really just ignore her for a day or so. All the fussing and trying to make friends with her is probably just adding to the stress of the upheaval.

Just give her a secure and quiet place - away from the other cat, and let her settle in at her own rate.

It might take a a few days - even a few weeks! But be patient and it'll sort itself out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. Yesterday evening I left her in the hall and the only door open was to the back bedroom where I wanted her to be. I then went into the living room and stayed there and completely ignored her. She found her way into the back bedroom so I've confined her there since. I go into her every so often, sometimes completely ignore her or other times I pet her. She lets me pet her and then suddenly she will growl and hiss. I don't want to introduce her to my other cat until she is no longer aggressive with me. I wasn't expecting this! I've always adopted adult cats but none in the past were aggressive to me. They would be a little agressive to the resident cat but thankfully so serious fighting. Hopefully things will improve over the next few days!

• Advertisement
Advertisement