Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best internet service to get at the moment

Options
  • 26-01-2008 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

With all the advantages and disadvantages of broadband services i just want to enquire what is the best to get today. I am thinking between 3g and chorus NTL. living in the cork city area. just want a reliable, fast service for personal use.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

I am thinking between 3g and chorus NTL. living in the cork city area. just want a reliable, fast service for personal use.

I think you would find most people would have those in the order of who not to get broadband service with.

I'd recommend Eircom, BT, Smart and Digiweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭supervixen

Barlow07 wrote: »
    I think you would find most people would have those in the order of who not to get broadband service with.

I'd recommend Eircom, BT, Smart and Digiweb.

I live in Cork City, Smart makes me smile :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

If you can get smart, get smart they are the best. If you can't get them try Eircom and digiweb they are the best of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

3G is for Mobile Internet, not Broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Smart telecom provide the best broadband service in ireland by quiet a lot.

However they are only in a few places.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

While I agree with all the Smart praise here and in other threads, there is still some things that should be noted about them: one, the switch-over can take a while, you'll either be lucky (like me) and it'll take about two weeks or very unlucky and you could be waiting months with several screw-ups with the bill as happened to my friend recently. Most of these delays can probably be blamed on Eircom however.

And two, Eircom own and maintain the lines so if you've got a bad line or live too far away from the local exchange then there's not much Smart can do for you. They can't guarantee you'll be able to get the speeds on offer. My connection is all over the place at the moment due to the weather.

But Smart are still the best choice available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

i recommend eircom if you like getting randomly disconnected 10 times a day:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

And two, Eircom own and maintain the lines so if you've got a bad line or live too far away from the local exchange then there's not much Smart can do for you. They can't guarantee you'll be able to get the speeds on offer. My connection is all over the place at the moment due to the weather.

But Smart are still the best choice available.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think ADSL2+ (which Smart use) is more tolerant of bad lines and sometimes works on a line that has failed for ADSL?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 pokerface11

If i was to choose smart. How much is it a month? Is it unlimited downloads? How much to install Etc. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Magnet or SMART FTW! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭supervixen

If i was to choose smart. How much is it a month? Is it unlimited downloads? How much to install Etc. Thanks in advance

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/residential_package.html

Advertisement