Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Heating system

Options
  • 26-01-2008 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

Am goign building later in the year and just want to know a few things before i go looking for plumbers.

Am think of putting in 3 types of heating to do the central heating and DHW. Basically was thinking of having Solar panels for the DHW, mainly in the summer months when the central heating isn't used. Wood pellet for both central and DHW and also a fireplace back boiler to be a back up to the central heating and DHW.

Just wondering what is the best way to connect the 3 systems together?

Also is it better to have an open or closed system?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

I have 72 solar tubes which is connect to me closed system. I think they fit the Irish environment better that solar pannels

My boiler is gas...

Tubes been on roof since november and already have had over 100 kw of heat into me HW tank

Grayh3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

You can't have a closed system with a back boiler (or wood pellet, AFAIK).
    You need an expert to design and link the system properly.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

the tubes only heat the water. Its a 300l tank

The gas does the heating + water (if needed)

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

JamesM wrote: »
    You need an expert to design and link the system properly.
    Jim.

Thats what I eventually intend to do.

But i would like to know what is possible to do and even the best way to do it. I do not want to end up with something that is not the best way of doing things just cause it was easier to design/fit.

I also don't want to be ripped off.

And also i am just extremely curious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

Really shouldn't be too difficult. You only have two separate systems - your solar will be completely separate from your other two which are usually combined. The only place that they will have any interaction is in your hot water cylinder.

To get the most out of your future solar system, you should fit a specially designed solar hot water cylinder. These are generally more expensive than your standard cylinder but worth the investment in the long term. They usually have at least two coils internally to allow both sources of heat (solar and boilers) to heat the same water.

People have been installing back boilers in conjunction with other fuel boilers for generations at this stage. The only difference with your main system is that you're planning to use a pellet burner instead of oil/gas. The only change you need to make to that system is in the hot water cylinder itself.

Have a look at http://www.sei.ie/greenerhomes for more info on the solar and pellet side of things. Pay attention to the fact that if you want to get the grants for wood pellet and solar that you must use a contractor approved by them. If you're interested in knowing the prices of some of the solar components, have a look at http://www.rvr.ie. They stock entire kits and could give you a ball park figure for materials.

End of the day, plan well and get someone competent to design your system!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

Have a look at systemzone on :

http://www.systemlink.ie/systemzone-applications.asp

Allows multiple heat inputs and multiple zones.

Advertisement