Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unusual Windows XP problem

• 26-01-2008 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Strange query this... maybe. My first time encountering it:-

When I boot my computer, after typing in my XP password, the system says I
    need to activate my copy of windows (today it's telling me I have 6 days left to do it, yesterday it said 7...)

I click "ok" or whatever to accept this and activate it, but then (well after a minute or so) it pops up with a window saying "Your copy of windows is already activated. Please click OK to exit."... which I do, and I get into Windows as normal.

This has only been happening in the past couple of days, and I'm afraid that it'll lock up in 6 days time as it IS counting down, and it still pops up every time I boot.

Anyone any ideas??? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

If you have this file backed up it's easy. Does this file exist on your system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Jaoibh

If your copy of windows is legit then its no big deal phone the automated activation system and type in the numbers and it will give you an activation key.
    this can be done up to 3 or 4 times. As microsoft seem to no that windows gets corrupt and sometimes needs to be reinstalled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

It's a legit copy, but I'd "upgraded" with the as-yet unreleased SP3 recently. That may have caused the problem. Also, I somehow seemed to have gotten a pile of viruses from somewhere (I suspect a certain program on a certain USB key) which totally buggered Windows altogether.

Thankfully I run Norton Ghost and store all my data on an external hard drive so I was able to restore from a backup and (apart from losing 2 weeks of emails!) everything is back just the way I like it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I tried out a pre-release of vista sp1, it borked my machine. Kept restarting so I had to recover from a disk image. I won't be trying that again. :)

Advertisement