Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner Tonight! Where to go? - Restaurant & Eating Out Recommendations for NCD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Hogs and Heifers have taken The Plank off the menu. Boo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Hogs and Heifers have taken The Plank off the menu. Boo!

Say it wasn't a seller to be fair. It is expensive enough. Although it was brought down to 40e on Sundays.

The service in there is still a bit so-so, there just always seems to be a lot of staff and an air of people just floating around avoiding work. Like if you stop a waitress to get something they are quick enough to tell you it's not their section etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

BKWDR wrote: »
    Say it wasn't a seller to be fair. It is expensive enough. Although it was brought down to 40e on Sundays.

The service in there is still a bit so-so, there just always seems to be a lot of staff and an air of people just floating around avoiding work. Like if you stop a waitress to get something they are quick enough to tell you it's not their section etc.

I liked the plank, shame :(

You'd think they'd have sorted out the service issues at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Was in Hogs and Geifers on Sunday evening. Food was excellent. Service was excellent til we got our main course then all the staff seemed to vanish. Couple who were with us were from Limerick and had to head back so they weren't impressed with the sudden slow service. I too will miss the plank but hopefully the service issue can be sorted as I really like their food in generak and the music/atmosphere in the place.

Re: Hogs and Heifers. Completely silly thing to notice i know but has anyone seen the head chef (tall bald lad) in there go completely *bananas* at the other staff. We were in there late one evening for drinks and he went completely NUTS at the waiting staff that were waiting for their orders. I felt terrible for the poor girl he screamed all sorts at, she was visably shook after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

is there no all you can eat buffet left in Swords anymore. Just seen Kung Fu has gone

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

is there no all you can eat buffet left in Swords anymore. Just seen Kung Fu has gone

That was sheer muck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Jade palace in applewood!! It's not a buffet but you can order as much as you like for about 10 euro.

Jade palace in applewood!! It's not a buffet but you can order as much as you like for about 10 euro.

They've put it up to €12, and if you leave too much they charge you for disposing of it :D

That said, when I'm feeling lazy we go there occasionally

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Stheno wrote: »
    That was sheer muck

Aren't all of those Buffets sheer muck? Jimmy Chungs is about the best of them. one level better than muck, maybe 1.5. And perhaps the Mongolian BBQ in Temple Bar, but it's not the normal style buffet.

• Advertisement

Uriel. wrote: »
    Aren't all of those Buffets sheer muck? Jimmy Chungs is about the best of them. one level better than muck, maybe 1.5. And perhaps the Mongolian BBQ in Temple Bar, but it's not the normal style buffet.

Nah this place was truly appalling was what I imagine eating in a communal hall in Soviet Russia would have been like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Does anyone know anything about the recently opened restaurant in Rush, beside Daybreak or Centra or whatever it's called. The first one on the right, coming into the town on Whitestown Road. It's Asian of some description, but I can't remember the name.

Anyone any experience with it?

Thanks.

Update:

OK, took the plunge and visited tonight. It's called Victoria.
    Eh, it's kind of a Chinese takeaway that you can sit down and be served, no ambiance though and too brightly lit.
    The food was Chinese takeaway standard, perhaps at the upper end of the scale, plus they serve beer (always a bonus)

We arrived about 8:30pm and were the only two there, until we left about 10pm
    The girl serving was very nice and helpful, the menu though was not so good. It had very few dishes on it and I really mean very few.

Cheap and cheerful, but I honestly couldn't recommend it for a meal out. I hope it continues and grows, but I have my doubts unfortunately.
    Glad we checked it out though and I think they do some really good value lunchtime specials.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I was in hogs and heifers on Sunday afternoon and after 25 minutes of being ignored after asking several waiting staff could we have some service we left. An awful shame as the food did look and smell fantastic.

Finally decided to give this another go today, and glad we did.
    The kids had chicken, and chicken nuggets, both with chips. OH and I shared wings to start, which was a fair size for a starter, she had the ribs as a main, and I had the half chicken and ribs combo. Ribs were falling off the bone, chicken was juicy and very tasty. Service was much improved, although it was quiet there.
    Price with 5 soft drinks was €65 and I felt we had value from that.
    Will definately be back.
    One downside, there are 2 specials on the menu, pigs belly, and a family butcher meal, but neither were available, which is a shame as I would have opted for either of those, but I still had a great dinner.

I forgot to say at the time, but about a month ago we went up to Gourmet food parlour on the coast road in malahide. My god it was delicious. Between 4 adults we had various fish, wings and burgers, and it was top shelf food. My cod was just devine, I'm still thinking about the batter. What impressed me was the kids choices, and my 6 year old got the cod too, which was simply a smaller version of mine. No frozen nuggets like you see in too many places. It seems like a lunch type place, but there's a lovely dinner to be had in there. Has its own parking too which is a big plus in Malahide.

Anniversary night tonight, and we were going to do a repeat of last year and go to Bon Appetit (not the fancy restaurant, the Bistro)

Got home and just didn't fancy heading out for a fancy meal (BA is my taste, OH finds it a little offputting), so we changed our modus operandi, and decided to try out Sale et Pepe in Malahide instead.

Twas super, lovely meal, I'd bruschetta and salmon, he'd wings and steak. Service was super, very unobtrusive, yet friendly, there was a lovely buzz in the restaurant and we'd definitely go back, twas just lovely.

I'd a stressy day today and it was a real pleasure :)

Went over to rubys, the new restaurant in pavilions that opened yesterday.
    Had a fantastic combo dinner of drumsticks, ribs and a pulled pork bun, with awesome Cajun cheese fries, so did the missus. Both stuffed to the gills after it. Kids had chicken and chips and burger and chips. Food was really top notch.

Now, service was extremely slow. I know it's only open the weekend, but don't go if you are in a hurry. Massive queues when we were leaving and we were never moved to leave at all. It will work out just be prepared.

All the staff were very friendly and it's proper cooked food, so I really hope it does well. ITd something that pavilions was missing badly.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Went over to rubys, the new restaurant in pavilions that opened yesterday.
    Had a fantastic combo dinner of drumsticks, ribs and a pulled pork bun, with awesome Cajun cheese fries, so did the missus. Both stuffed to the gills after it. Kids had chicken and chips and burger and chips. Food was really top notch.

Now, service was extremely slow. I know it's only open the weekend, but don't go if you are in a hurry. Massive queues when we were leaving and we were never moved to leave at all. It will work out just be prepared.

All the staff were very friendly and it's proper cooked food, so I really hope it does well. ITd something that pavilions was missing badly.

Where in pavilions is it?

Stheno wrote: »
    Where in pavilions is it?

There is a small lift beside the entrance to GBK. It would be directly above it. You can access it from the street too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Can't wait to try it. The menu looks great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I went to Ruby's for lunch today. The service was prompt and friendly and the food was beautifully presented.
    I was only having a quick bite (and on a budget) so I just opted for the pork belly sliders with blue cheese dip and a bottle of sparkling water. UNNF.
    Gorgeous stuff! I only wish there were more than two in a serving as they were extremely moreish.
    My only complaint about the place was that they charged me €3 for a bottle of sparkling water, which I thought was a bit on the dear side.
    Still, it didn't put me off and I actually left a €3 tip on a €12 bill. (Not sure if this is a good thing or not- I'm hopeless at tipping.)
    I'm planning on going back on Wednesday, weather permitting, as I'm a massive fan of all things pork related and I simply can't resist the temptation of a nice rack of ribs! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I'm defo hitting up Ruby's at the weekend. The food sounds great :)

Went tonight, service was good.

We unwisely decided to share the steak pizza, it was sickeningly sweet, and we met friends there who were having the same and agreed.

It's no tomato base, instead it's a pepper sauce base, and combined with red onions and pepper, it's just wrong.

However service was good, no delays, staff were friendly, and the rest of the menu warrants exploring :)

It's run by the same team who run the old schoolhouse btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Not quite dinner, but where's a nice place to go for breakfast/brunch of a Sunday morning in NCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I can highly recommend The Plough on Balbriggan St. in Skerries for breakfast. I have also heard good things about Rockabill & Piccolo (both also in Skerries).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Gourmet Food Parlour in Swords is excellent for Sunday brunch.

Gourmet Food Parlour in Swords is excellent for Sunday brunch.

+100

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TimANDco.

I can highly recommend The Plough on Balbriggan St. in Skerries for breakfast. I have also heard good things about Rockabill & Piccolo (both also in Skerries).

Friend of mine went to rockabill few weeks ago said he got ribs starter and burger main. only thing he could say about it was the ribs were not very good(to say the least) and the burger was good, nicely made it seems.

Personally I havn't been to the Plough but i hear great things about it and their breads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Tried out Rubys in the Pavilions for lunch on Thursday. They have a lovely menu - pizzas, steaks, burgers, BBQ, good salads & sandwiches.

We had the soy & sesame wings - very crispy and moreish. We also had a lovely salad with feta, melon & mango. It was a delicious combination.

I had the nachos with pulled pork which for 10 euro was a very big feed! Heaps of tender pork, jalapenos, a big lump of salsa (which was a little sweet) and mountains of melted cheese covered in guacamole and sour cream. There was also olives, controversial I know, but they were tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Tried the green cottage in Malahide on friday night, it was awful, couldn't recommend it to anyone, thankfully got my money refunded.
    Tried the burrito place in pavilions for the first time today, that was excellent, really really tasty, not a bad price either I didn't think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What was awful about it - food, service, something else?

Advertisement