Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner Tonight! Where to go? - Restaurant & Eating Out Recommendations for NCD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sounds good. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Can anyone recommend a restaurant for a Communion lunch? There would be 8 adults and 7 children. I'd love to go somewhere in Skerries but I'd need to be able to make a reservation. I know I've left it late with regard to a booking.:mad:

Blue Bar, The Grill @ Ollie's & The Windmill would all be good spots & they all take reservations. However, the size of your group may pose an issue when it comes to seating in all three places.

The Man O' War would also be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Anyone know of a good Lebanese/Turkish restaurant in North Dublin, not in city centre though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I like Café Oasis on North King Street, that is probably the city centre though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I went to Kajjal with work on Thursday. OMG is was amazing as always. I got the chilli scalops to start and Bhuna Gosht (Originating from the cuisine of Northern Pakistan, chunks of lamb with chopped onions and peppers and a selection of spices. Garnished with fresh coriander and spring onion.)

The staff are also lovely and i cant recomned this place enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭yknaa

Raffs in Skerries was excellent yesterday for Sunday dinner. Steak on a stone (on a voucher!) was really nice. Great friendly service too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Last night we went to Bon Apetit, and that was fantastic. prawn dumplings to start were incredible, and the monkfish mains was one of the best I've ever had. OH had delicious scallops to start, and a beautifully cooked cod for mains. The other couple with us both had soup for starters and they shared a ribeye for two, which looked great.
    That came to €230 for 4 of us, including drinks. Ironically the bill the last time we were there was the same just for two of us! Small issues with service, like the starters arriving before the wine, but all staff were pleasant and there was a lovely feeling in the restaurant. Never felt rushed despite a 7.30 sitting. I'd recommend the place to anyone.

Quite spoiled this weekend we were!

I have to go back to this place. Had the 7 course tasting menu about 4 or 5 years ago now and it was unreal, I hear they've changed direction a bit from fine dining now? But good to hear the food is still great, will be going back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Has anyone been to\used Moti Mahal in Balbriggan recently? Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

neemish wrote: »
    Has anyone been to\used Moti Mahal in Balbriggan recently? Ta

Not sat in it in a good good while but have had take away. Quite good food but the ordering can be slow sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Headed out to Skerries to pop into Blue Bar last thursday week from Swords. Got there, and there were reserved signs on a quite a few tables, followed a couple in ahead of us who hadn't reserved a table and were seated straight away. Then when we asked the girl at the greeting desk, she hmm'd and hawed for a minute then said nothing was free but would we wait at the bar? I then asked how long a wait would it be as neither of us were drinking, to which she drops the bombshell of a a wait of about an hour and a half, with 8 (that we counted tables) that had no one sat at them.

To makes matter worse, we asked was that the norm and she just shrugged, so i said F that and we went to walk out. Gas thing was we bumped into two bikers that had been looking for a table in Stoops as we walked up were now sat at the table outside that had a reserve sign on it and getting an order taken! They hadn't reserved anything

Would i bother trekking all the way out for food that is an hour and a half wait again,.....no way

That's poor form. I'd drop them an email at info@bluebar.ie. I know the owners & they'd certainly like to know about this.

That's poor form. I'd drop them an email at info@bluebar.ie. I know the owners & they'd certainly like to know about this.

In fairness i would but i was that put out by the lot of it, if i rang up and they offered me a few bob off a meal (not saying they would have to) i still wouldn't go all the way out there again.

The reserved signs on tables and people waiting a long time shouldn't be anything new to the owners, if what i've heard back from people i've talked to about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

BKWDR wrote: »
    In fairness i would but i was that put out by the lot of it, if i rang up and they offered me a few bob off a meal (not saying they would have to) i still wouldn't go all the way out there again.

The reserved signs on tables and people waiting a long time shouldn't be anything new to the owners, if what i've heard back from people i've talked to about it.

In fairness, how do you ever expect places to change for the better or improve unless you let them know about what happened? You shouldn't do it for the sake of a few bob, it should be done so the next person that treks out there doesn't have the same bad experience.

thesteve wrote: »
    In fairness, how do you ever expect places to change for the better or improve unless you let them know about what happened? You shouldn't do it for the sake of a few bob, it should be done so the next person that treks out there doesn't have the same bad experience.

No i understand fully. But to be fair and clear. This is the ongoing situation that happens in this place. I've been sat eating my dinner in the place last year and seen people being asked to wait when there are spaces available. Then in passing when i've spoken to people about my experience last Thursday week they say the same thing happens them.

I asked the girl on the day and she shrugged me off. Im now going to vote with my feet. I posted it here to make people aware about it. What am i supposed to say to them? Your priority of reserving tables and turning away people sucks? I've no notion of going back to give them another chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

No i understand fully. But to be fair and clear. This is the ongoing situation that happens in this place. I've been sat eating my dinner in the place last year and seen people being asked to wait when there are spaces available. Then in passing when i've spoken to people about my experience last Thursday week they say the same thing happens them.

I asked the girl on the day and she shrugged me off. Im now going to vote with my feet. I posted it here to make people aware about it. What am i supposed to say to them? Your priority of reserving tables and turning away people sucks? I've no notion of going back to give them another chance.

Understood, it's your choice at the end of the day, especially if it's the straw that broke the camels back. It's weird though, I eat there regularly for years and over recent years have added the complication of now having a toddler and a baby to haul with us, and we've never been turned away (nor do we reserve)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Understood, it's your choice at the end of the day, especially if it's the straw that broke the camels back. It's weird though, I eat there regularly for years and over recent years have added the complication of now having a toddler and a baby to haul with us, and we've never been turned away (nor do we reserve)

They have only started their reservation system recently. Up until that you just rocked up and took your chance more or less. Not sure what prompted them to change it or whether it has resulted in them doing more covers or not.

They have also included more tables for 2 on one side of the bar which means there is less bar space for the people that walk in off the street to wait. Sounds like it could be harder for them to manage than before.

I haven't been that impressed the last couple of times with the staff. There are a few younger faces and for what you are paying for the service is not up to scratch IMO. Nearly having to guide them on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

My son and his friends went down there recently to a similar wait.

oddly enough, my best friend was refused a table because he had his toddler with him (think it was to do with a buggy). Now that was last year so they may have changed their policy since

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭yknaa

oddly enough, my best friend was refused a table because he had his toddler with him (think it was to do with a buggy). Now that was last year so they may have changed their policy since

AFAIK, buggies were never allowed in - due to access issues - but you can park them easily in the hall adjacent to the restaurant. Find the place a bit hit and miss to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Have never understood how highly people rate Blue, very hit and miss as others have also said

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Agree wings are lovely but everything else isn't worth it. Restaurant prices for pub food. Also too busy, too cramped and just not a relaxing experience to me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The oh has been determined to take me out the last few days so tonight we went to rubys

Unlike previous times we've been there, there was no wait for a table which was great.

We got seated at the very back which has booth type sofas on one side then regular chairs the other side of the table.

Regular readers of this thread will know that I'm a fussy aul flibbertggibbet and I really disliked the length of the tables they are close to three feet long in this section so an intimate evening wouldn't work and we had fellow diners in either side talking loudly to bridge the gap

Service was also very slow, ordering was quick but we waited over half an hour for our food as did the table beside us who ordered just before us.

Service was good the staff there are lovely.

And the food was great, I had the stuffed portobello mushrooms with goats cheese and parmesan, and we shared the ribs, chicken and pulled pork nap and a side of corn on the cob

It was delicious

It's owned by the same people as the schoolhouse and while I like rubys, on balance I prefer the schoolhouse however I suspect there's an element here that we've been going to schoolhouse so long that the staff there know us and greet us insight

Overall, it was enjoyable, great food, spoiled little by delays and the overly large table

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Stheno wrote: »
    The oh has been determined to take me out the last few days so tonight we went to rubys

Unlike previous times we've been there, there was no wait for a table which was great.

We got seated at the very back which has booth type sofas on one side then regular chairs the other side of the table.

Regular readers of this thread will know that I'm a fussy aul flibbertggibbet and I really disliked the length of the tables they are close to three feet long in this section so an intimate evening wouldn't work and we had fellow diners in either side talking loudly to bridge the gap

Service was also very slow, ordering was quick but we waited over half an hour for our food as did the table beside us who ordered just before us.

Service was good the staff there are lovely.

And the food was great, I had the stuffed portobello mushrooms with goats cheese and parmesan, and we shared the ribs, chicken and pulled pork nap and a side of corn on the cob

It was delicious

It's owned by the same people as the schoolhouse and while I like rubys, on balance I prefer the schoolhouse however I suspect there's an element here that we've been going to schoolhouse so long that the staff there know us and greet us insight

Overall, it was enjoyable, great food, spoiled little by delays and the overly large table

In fairness , you cant beat The Oldschoolhouse for food in Swords , was there for "tasty thursday " wife had the trio of tacos and I had the rib eye on the bone . Both execllend and great value as usual .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

An NCD BA for Ruby's:

https://www.facebook.com/RubysPizzaGrill/posts/1592619007675353

Flash Sale Now On
    €30 gets you €50 voucher
    €50 gets you €100 voucher
    We have a limited amount of vouchers to go on sale starting Monday and ending Wednesday. There is no catch, you can spend your voucher on anything here in Ruby's, Steaks, Ribs, Pizzas, Cocktails and much more. You have been warned, don't miss out. Valid for use from Monday 25th May

You have to buy the vouchers in the restaurant I believe.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Shred wrote: »
    An NCD BA for Ruby's:

https://www.facebook.com/RubysPizzaGrill/posts/1592619007675353

Flash Sale Now On
    €30 gets you €50 voucher
    €50 gets you €100 voucher
    We have a limited amount of vouchers to go on sale starting Monday and ending Wednesday. There is no catch, you can spend your voucher on anything here in Ruby's, Steaks, Ribs, Pizzas, Cocktails and much more. You have been warned, don't miss out. Valid for use from Monday 25th May

You have to buy the vouchers in the restaurant I believe.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Have never understood how highly people rate Blue, very hit and miss as others have also said

Mostly miss I'm afraid. It is disappointing that the service is poor and the attitude is as bad as the food - such a waste of a good space. I have stopped going there and so have most of the people I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

If you haven't had one yet - the "Skerries Club" sandwich at the the mill café is whopper.

Some of you regulars on this thread may remember my disappointing experience in Empire over the Christmas period.

We went back tonight, we were going to Rubys but there so happened to be a pile of parking spaces on the main street so we said "let's give it a go.

I've gone from "I'm never going there again" to "meeh"

First the menu, I'd only ever seen the Sunday menu before, which is very much a cut down of the main menu.

It struck me as rather expensive compared to other places in Swords, apart from an omelette, vegetarian pasta, and the "signature steak special which is €10 (copied from Wrights)" all main courses are min. €14.50, even the burger is €14.95

It's got all the usuals, bangers and mash, fish and chips/steaks/burgers, and a few nice sounding dishes, such as barbary duck breast

I wasn't particularly hungry, so had one of the starters which is a "butchers board" of parma ham, salami, bread, chicken liver parfait, smoked corned beef, and some peculiar dish of raisins. That starter for one was priced at €12

OH had the steak special.

Second the service. It was dire the last time we were there.
    It was a bit better this evening, but bare in mind the place was quiet, less than half full, it was more than ten minutes before a drinks order was taken, and we waited twenty minutes for our food after it was ordered. One of the waiters has a terribly over familiar manner, and kept referring to me as my dear, and the OH as friend

Third, the food. I ordered my butchers board with no salami as I cannot abide the sight of the stuff, all that congealed fat makes me feel ill. OH ordered his steak medium. Lo and behold I got salami but no smoked corned beef ( I was really looking forward to that), the chicken parfait which I would have expected to have a pate like texture was a bit runny, I got one slice of parma ham, and the bread which came with it was the equivalent of about half a slice of a sliced pan cut into fancy triangles, I ran out of it before I even finished the parfait, let alone the parma ham. It also came with a fig half, which was just divine.

The OHs steak looked charred, and he said it was tough. Now for him to moan about food is rare.

Which brings us back to the service. The over familiar waiter (I know I'm being picky but I hate that) who took our order cleared our plates, asked if everything was ok (no one came to check if our food was ok while we ate) and when I pointed out I'd gotten salami, said "so you did!"

We finished with a glass of wine and a coffee, and asked for the bill. After we got the bill, I placed my card on top of it, and spent fifteen minutes trying to attract the attention of staff three times, until eventually someone took notice, and we paid up.

So overall, a definite improvement on what it was like in December, it was an incredibly relaxing environment with the booths that they have setup, but from the perspective of value for money, the level of service, and the quality of the food, as I said, meeh, far too many inconsitencies for me to bother with it, when there is so much more choice in Swords and close by (OH doesn't drink so we spread where we eat across a broad range from Howth the Malahide, to Swords, and Skerries)

Edit: I forgot some of the pretentious twaddle in there, if you order a glass of wine, you get it in a giant oversized glass (also drives me nuts) with the added nuisance of a fancy cocktail stick with a ring at the end, and a grape in the middle placed atop the glass. I mean wtf? This is like those miniature milk bottles you see lately in places. Just give me a drinkable glass of wine without the need to remove adornments!

And yes, I'm a pernickety old boot.

In other food related news, Mint Leaf was closed tonight, there appears to be a new Chinese (ANOTHER) opening on Main Street where Black Tie was, and there is a bbq place opening where the Chinese beside Peter Marks on Main Street was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Tried to get a table in The Windmill in Skerries at 6 last night but it was booked out. Ollies was a 30 minute wait. So we went down to try Raffs. Boy, did that work out!!

Everything, and I mean everything was top notch. large wings (18) did the 4 of us perfectly and IMO they are up there with Blue Bar's. For mains, I had the Prawn Taglietelle. Full of Prawns and simply delicious. OH had the baked cod, again, lots of fish, very tasty and really light batter. The kids took an adult pizza to share and that was excellent too. Kids menu was decent but they are pizza lovers....
    So we didnt mean to go there but really happy we did. I'll be going back, no question.

Advertisement