Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner Tonight! Where to go? - Restaurant & Eating Out Recommendations for NCD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Went to Old Borough for lunch. The food was nice but the service was awful, they got everything wrong. I'm putting it down to teething problems. Will defo go back, even for the cheap drink prices :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 padger

Yeah was there last night, everything is great except for the service..could be 15 minutes trying to get served, if you want to order food you have to go to the till too which is another long wait. Also never cleared away our plates for the whole night

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm having the opposite experience, OH, myself and his son went there for dinner tonight.

There were NO tables free when we arrived, but after waiting about five minutes, a family were leaving so we jumped in. Drinks took about three minutes at the bar.

Then we went to order food, and again it was less than five minutes at the bar to order. They advised that as they were so busy it could be up to half an hour before we got the food.

Five minutes later someone was out as Ohs son ordered a hotdog, and they'd no buns, so they were checking if a ciabatta instead was ok. Food arrived within fifteen minutes of placing the order.

OH had the all day brunch, I'd the Philly cheesesteak, and his son had the chilli dog. None of us were very taken with the food tbh, mine was cold, and OHs son described his as cardboardy

I didn't finish mine as it was cold, and when the staff were clearing the plates, they asked if everything was ok. I said the food was cold, and they asked if I wanted a replacement, and I said no, as I'd eaten the chips and onion rings, it was the burger that was cold.

They unexpectedly brought a complimentary drink to the table due to the food being cold, and we had our table regularly cleared when we were there.

So going on one nights food I'd not be keen on eating there, but on a second trip I found the service good as on the first time, I was surprised that they brought that complimentary drink tbh

We all disliked the chips, which bizarrely are not gluten free!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Had the Friday fish and chips special last week - €8:50 with a can of orange

Food was pretty good

I left feeling nicely full and not ripped off which was nice

Will be back again soon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Going to try Spoons out on Saturday, don't think I will bother with the food though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

New place in Swords in The Plaza mall, where La Spada (and mastersons mexican place??) was previously. Empoli - a cheap and cheerful Italian restaurant. Though not very authentic, there were a few decidedly non-italian items on the menu. Also, I assume they haven't redecorated as the decor has a definite mexican feel!

Lunch menu is great value. €8.50 for a starter of bruschetta/garlic bread/soup/salad and a main course. There is about a dozen each of pasta and pizza to choose from, also a couple of chicken and fish options. Food was fresh and tasty, good quality IMO. Bruschetta was gorgeous! All mains were nice, no complaints. We had a pizza, pasta and salmon. Not a wood fired pizza oven I reckon, but a good oven nonetheless. Pizza had nice thin crispy base.

Gentleman working there at lunchtime was lovely, we got great service. He says they are doing well so far but we were the only table there at 2pm on a Tuesday. I hope they do well as food is very nice for the price. The lunch special is being advertised as available 7 days a week, so even better value at the weekend. They don't do an early bird menu but the ala carte is very reasonably priced. A couple of mains even under €10 - basic pizza, pastas etc.

After so many years of no Italian restaurant in Swords, this has opened at the same time as the new Mediterranean restaurant beside Peter Marks. Hopefully they do well and the slightly flashier Mediterranean offering doesn't scupper Empoli, as it's a nice little spot for a cheap and cheerful meal.

Aw i liked that Mexican, didnt know it had closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Tilly wrote: »
    Aw i liked that Mexican, didnt know it had closed.

I wasn't 100% sure it was definitely the same unit as I was never in the mexican! But i don't think there is any other spot for a restaurant up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

The Mexican closed alright. A pity in one way, I love Mexican food, was delighted when it opened... But truth be told it was a relatively poor offering. It was in the hapenny place compared to the likes of Cactus Jacks and acapulco

I liked their tapas style menu and of course the margaritas :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Has been a couple of days of eating out, Wednesday night we went out to Rubys as it was my birthday yesterday but I was away with work. We still have vouchers from the flash sale.

Oh had the burger with bacon and i'd the falafel burger. Wasn't to my taste at all, and seeing the near full plate while OH was still eating, our waiter came over and asked if it was ok. I said it wasn't as I was used to more crispy falafel, and she said their falafel are a bit different. Offered an alternative etc, dealt with very well, I didn't feel for a moment that I was being a pain

It so happened I got home early from travel yesterday, so we went for the Early Bird in Mastersons.

Gosh, it's changed since I was last in there, lovely decor, super service, and the food was excellent, I'd the fish of the day which was hake, and it was just delicious, OH had steak and thought it was also lovely
    Ocean Blue wrote: »
    New place in Swords in The Plaza mall, where La Spada (and mastersons mexican place??) was previously. Empoli - a cheap and cheerful Italian restaurant. Though not very authentic, there were a few decidedly non-italian items on the menu. Also, I assume they haven't redecorated as the decor has a definite mexican feel!

Lunch menu is great value. €8.50 for a starter of bruschetta/garlic bread/soup/salad and a main course. There is about a dozen each of pasta and pizza to choose from, also a couple of chicken and fish options. Food was fresh and tasty, good quality IMO. Bruschetta was gorgeous! All mains were nice, no complaints. We had a pizza, pasta and salmon. Not a wood fired pizza oven I reckon, but a good oven nonetheless. Pizza had nice thin crispy base.

Gentleman working there at lunchtime was lovely, we got great service. He says they are doing well so far but we were the only table there at 2pm on a Tuesday. I hope they do well as food is very nice for the price. The lunch special is being advertised as available 7 days a week, so even better value at the weekend. They don't do an early bird menu but the ala carte is very reasonably priced. A couple of mains even under €10 - basic pizza, pastas etc.

After so many years of no Italian restaurant in Swords, this has opened at the same time as the new Mediterranean restaurant beside Peter Marks. Hopefully they do well and the slightly flashier Mediterranean offering doesn't scupper Empoli, as it's a nice little spot for a cheap and cheerful meal.

Went here tonight, enjoyed it, good service, very fresh food

Definitely going to go back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Both Chinese businesses in Applewood, Jade Palace & Nans were shut down by the Food safety authority last month.
    Anybody know why exactly?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/food-safety-authority-issued-ten-closure-orders-last-month-694992.html

PWEI wrote: »
    Both Chinese businesses in Applewood, Jade Palace & Nans were shut down by the Food safety authority last month.
    Anybody know why exactly?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/food-safety-authority-issued-ten-closure-orders-last-month-694992.html

The closure order for Jade was lifted after four days and for Nan's after 10 days,so relatively minor I would guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Minor would be one or two days to put a store room in order & lay a few mouse trap, etc. 10 days isn't exactly minor at all.

Minor would be one or two days to put a store room in order & lay a few mouse trap, etc. 10 days isn't exactly minor at all.

Depends. If they had to get a replacement/new type of sink for example it could conceivably take a couple of days to source order and have delivered. Maybe a day or two more to have a qualified plumber provide an estimate, schedule a visit, do the job and certify same. Another couple of days to confirm with FSAI that the conditions have been met. Throw in a Saturday and a Sunday and you're not far off 10 days.

It literally could be anything, but 10 days does not suggest systemic problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If not already suggested; House in Howth is brilliant.. nice laid back feel to it while serving up some top quality nosh

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

lawred2 wrote: »
    If not already suggested; House in Howth is brilliant.. nice laid back feel to it while serving up some top quality nosh

Havnet been to House in years but food was always good there.

Ive found though in the last few years alot of the restaurants in Howth especially those close to the dart station and harbour have gotten pricey and serve average food what your paying for

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

New italian on Swords main street where the Mint Leaf used to be, called "Fratellis"
    Had a bite to eat last night with Mrs H and was very impressed. Staff were fantastic which is always a good start and food was excellent too. Free prosecco on arrival too for the opening few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Homer wrote: »
    New italian on Swords main street where the Mint Leaf used to be, called "Fratellis"
    Had a bite to eat last night with Mrs H and was very impressed. Staff were fantastic which is always a good start and food was excellent too. Free prosecco on arrival too for the opening few weeks :)

Have to &1 on this, was there this evening and thought the food was spot on.

€18.50 for a two course early bird up to 7pm, half portion of anything for kids for €7:50.

Food was top class, staff were brilliant considering we had a very active 3-year old with us and the place is decked out really well.

damienom wrote: »
    Have to &1 on this, was there this evening and thought the food was spot on.

€18.50 for a two course early bird up to 7pm, half portion of anything for kids for €7:50.

Food was top class, staff were brilliant considering we had a very active 3-year old with us and the place is decked out really well.
    Were there many people eating there?

I've gone to it in both of it's previous incarnations and it was always dead, rarely more than one or two tables occupied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

We were there just after it opened at 5pm, by the time we were leaving there were 4 other tables with people at them.

Homer wrote: »

Went to eat here tonight as it was a 3 rugby match day and I couldn't be bothered to cook and we went out between the Australia and France matches.

We were going to go to Wrights who have recently added pizza (very nice pizza) to the menu, but I said feck it, why don't we try the new Italian.

As I'd been watching the rugby and snacking on such gourmet delights as crisp sandwiches, I just had the caesar salad, which was delicious.

Oh had the bolognese which he enjoyed also.

Service was good, if not a little slow (but remember I was wanting to get home to see the rest of the French rugby game), sure enough we got two complimentary glasses of prosecco too and the coffee was good.

Was busier than I've ever seen it's two previous incarnations, all the booths were full along the side, and about half the remaining tables.

When we were paying the bill we got chatting to the hostess, who said they were aware of the past history of the place, and were determined to break the curse :)

We went too late for the early bird, but it also looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Paul24

Guys,

Wheres the latest hot spot in swords for a meal?

Fancy a meal out on Saturday night and looking for your latest recommendations. Any cuisine at all.

See loads of reviews on tripadvisor but said I'd check here instead.

Thanks,
    Paul24

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Paul24 wrote: »
    Guys,

Wheres the latest hot spot in swords for a meal?

Fancy a meal out on Saturday night and looking for your latest recommendations. Any cuisine at all.

Indie Spice has been done up recently and has a new menu - I've been twice and it was great both times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you're looking for pizza/burgers/ribs/wings Ruby's is nice, good buzz and great cocktails. I haven't been to The Well at the Lord Mayor's but my daughters have and they really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Fratellis on main street was fab the last two times we went. Rubys is good but can be a bit of a creche whenever we were there if that would put you off?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I went to Indie Spice in Swords last night for the first time, although we've been getting takeaway from there for years. It was fabulous - there were six of us and both the food and service were top notch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Sorry a bit late for OP but I had a very nice Sunday afternoon meal in The Empire (previously Slaughtered Lamb). It wasn't Michelin type cuisine but the food, ambience, surroundings were very nice and the service was very professional. Very reasonably priced as well. I'd definitely go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

ongarboy wrote: »
    Sorry a bit late for OP but I had a very nice Sunday afternoon meal in The Empire (previously Slaughtered Lamb). It wasn't Michelin type cuisine but the food, ambience, surroundings were very nice and the service was very professional. Very reasonably priced as well. I'd definitely go back.

The food in the Empire is excellent and very good value.
    Their €10 steak special is the best value meal in Swords imho.
    Wrights do a €10 steak special also but it's not as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Last few posts on dining on Swords merged here.

tHB

Advertisement