Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner Tonight! Where to go? - Restaurant & Eating Out Recommendations for NCD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

McHughs Wine and Dine Just opened in Portmarnock yesterday ( They has another one in Raheny). Ate there last night Ribeye Steak was fab and wife had Hake that was delicious!

https://www.facebook.com/McHughsPortmarnock/?fref=ts

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So Fratellis has been replaced by Nhu Y which is a Vietnamese restaurant offering healthy options.

http://www.northcountyleader.ie/2017/02/07/new-vietnamese-restaurant-opens-in-swords/

Went there tonight and didn't think it was great at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Anyone ever tried Little Jerusalem in Swords? I pass by it every day, think I should try it, and then forget every time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

plodder wrote: »
    Anyone ever tried Little Jerusalem in Swords? I pass by it every day, think I should try it, and then forget every time.

Looks to have shut down, or being renovated, it's had people working inside it for the past two weeks on the decor etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Stheno wrote: »
    Looks to have shut down, or being renovated, it's had people working inside it for the past two weeks on the decor etc.
    Shame if it's closed. I love mediteranean/mid eastern food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

plodder wrote: »
    Shame if it's closed. I love mediteranean/mid eastern food.

I think it is gone. Went a few times, owner has another place in the city which he said had always been thriving.

That location is terrible for a restaurant in Swords. And while you will get a decent footfall in the city, a place that is so cramped and doesn't serve alcohol (although you can BYOB), is never going to do well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

So Fratellis has been replaced by Nhu Y which is a Vietnamese restaurant offering healthy options.

http://www.northcountyleader.ie/2017/02/07/new-vietnamese-restaurant-opens-in-swords/

Went there tonight and didn't think it was great at all.

I think theres a curse on that building! Plenty of competition around the town has weathered the hard times yet that location has seen Nhu Y (what the hell kind of name is that lol) Fratellis, Mint Leaf, Dowlers, all in the space of a couple of years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There was an Indian before that as well - very nice but didn't last. Adds to curse possibility.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Homer wrote: »
    I think theres a curse on that building! Plenty of competition around the town has weathered the hard times yet that location has seen Nhu Y (what the hell kind of name is that lol) Fratellis, Mint Leaf, Dowlers, all in the space of a couple of years.

I liked Dowlers, they did a lovely steak on the stone.

I've no idea why so many places there fail, but I'd put money on the new place being gone in a few months.

Went to Empoli this week after not being there for a few months, they've a new early bird menu which is good value.
    I'd fillet steak and it was very tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It hasn't helped that they had boarded up shops either side for the last 8/9 years. I saw some effort going into the shop fronts on main street this week.with the castle redevelopment work started let's hope future businesses there have a bit more chance to thrive and there is a bounce for the main street. Considering how many 10s of thousands live around, it should be doing better.

• Advertisement

It hasn't helped that they had boarded up shops either side for the last 8/9 years. I saw some effort going into the shop fronts on main street this week.with the castle redevelopment work started let's hope future businesses there have a bit more chance to thrive and there is a bounce for the main street. Considering how many 10s of thousands live around, it should be doing better.

Empire has been beside them the past two years?

Well, parking is a disaster in the whole town - and most of the housing estates are not a walkable distance. That's surely part of the problem. They should be opening up the empty fingal Co.Co. staff car parks at night and on weekends to attract people to the town.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Well, parking is a disaster in the whole town - and most of the housing estates are not a walkable distance. That's surely part of the problem. They should be opening up the empty fingal Co.Co. staff car parks at night and on weekends to attract people to the town.

Every time I've gone out in Swords in the past three months we've gotten parking either in the loading bays in the plaza or on the main street.

Even on Saturday afternoons when we go for brunch.

So I'd not blame that, every other establishment has to cope with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭The Davestator

pinkypinky wrote: »

Mastersons is always rammed and its only across the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I think the curse is that they have all gone down the 'Groupon' road - its not sustainable as people who get a dinner for €x will not spend double on the same dinner the next time. They'll just wait for the next deal but unfortunately, the business closes because they cannot run at a loss.

My opinion anyway

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I think Fratelli's has moved down to one of the units that used to be Taylors Hardware .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Was in Nhu Y the other night. It was dead unfortunately. Can't see it lasting. Not doing themselves many favours either though. Red wines - 3 options €25 €45 and I think 50ish. Not a lot of choice but more so if you don't like the standard affair (Italian wine) your next option is 20euro more expensive. They could do with a few extras.

The pricing for the starters seems a bit muddled. Some starters are 10euro which is expensive for that kind of restaurant and when I saw the 10 euro starter, while tasty was nowhere near worth 10euro imo.

Also they gave a bowl of prawn crackers (or something similar) to our table and it had one cracker each in it. Seemed stingy to me, especially if they're trying to drum up repeat business. It wouldn't have been noticed so much if they didn't give any at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Shagun gets my vote for best Indian Takeaway in Swords

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I had Indie Spice last month and really liked it. I got a take away for 2 and I picked it up in the restaurant myself. It's a really nice room and good service.

I'd usually go to Jaipur in Malahide and it is nice but not as good as what the extra in price would have you think. My regular for take-out of 1 starter, 2 mains with rice and nan costs about a tenner more than other nice Indians.

I like Shobnom these days but they don't have it in Indie Spice so gonna try Spice of India tonight.

...and I really liked Spice of India too!

Nice room, more traditional English Indian style decor but done smartly and knowingly. I was in for a take away but the service was friendly.
    Taste wise I thought it slightly ahead of Indie Spice but really nothing between them.

Maybe Spice of India for traditional English Indian and Indie Spice for a more contemporary experience of dishes and decor?

I was in The Greedy Goose in Malahide for the first time today. Lunch. An interesting and enjoyable menu served well in a very smart room. We were lucky enough to get a window seat.
    Looking forward to going back for dinner sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »

I was in The Greedy Goose in Malahide for the first time today. Lunch. A really interesting and enjoyable menu served well in a very smart room. We were lucky enough to get a window seat.
    Looking forward to going back for dinner sooner rather than later.

Was that the mixed menu where you pick a load of essentially tapas?

I love eating there but my OH hates it so we rarely go.

There is a new place opened up where Little Jerusalem was, called the Grillhouse.

Was that the mixed menu where you pick a load of essentially tapas?

I love eating there but my OH hates it so we rarely go.

There is a new place opened up where Little Jerusalem was, called the Grillhouse.

That's the one. I think they're avoiding calling it Tapas because of the way the term has been confused and abused here.

It suits me as I often like a series of small sharing dishes. Wouldn't be for everyone.

humberklog wrote: »
    That's the one. I think they're avoiding calling it Tapas because of the way the term has been confused and abused here.

It suits me as I often like a series of small sharing dishes. Wouldn't be for everyone.

Yeah I'm the same, enjoy having a number of small dishes :)

My OH is a shteak and spuds type :)

Yeah I'm the same, enjoy having a number of small dishes :)

My OH is a shteak and spuds type :)

The Scotch Bonnet could be the place for him! I really like it, fun and tasty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I love the Greedy Goose, they have a great menu and the food is consistently good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Speaking of Tapas.. a little further out the coast in Howth.. Restaurant called Boqueria. Calling it Tapas would be a slight disservice as its more than that. larger portions than I would normally expect from a Tapas menu but presented in a stunning way and delicious! Well worth a spin out.
    Must try spice of india after the positive comments here! We are die hard chilli shaker fans :p

Had a lovely meal in the Scotch Bonnet in Malahide last night. Excellent scampi. They were mad busy too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Speaking of Tapas.. a little further out the coast in Howth.. Restaurant called Boqueria. Calling it Tapas would be a slight disservice as its more than that. larger portions than I would normally expect from a Tapas menu but presented in a stunning way and delicious! Well worth a spin out.
    Must try spice of india after the positive comments here! We are die hard chilli shaker fans :p

not been but parents went there week before last and werent impressed with it, said it was expensive for what was being served

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Anyone try any of the Indian takeaways in Balbriggan lately?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Anyone try any of the Indian takeaways in Balbriggan lately?

Moti Mahal is consistently very good. We get takeaway about 3 times a month from it and we are never disappointed.

Advertisement