Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting with babies in house

Options
  • 26-01-2008 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

Would anyone know of a good "safe" paint that can be used to paint bedrooms while there are young babies living in the house? Would be able to get them out while the work is being done and for a few hours afterwards but not for the night. They would not be staying in the rooms being painted obviously and they will be ventilated but there will still be a smell of paint throughout the house I imagine.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Any acrylic paints which are water based should be fine. Use the same on woodwork, air the room also while painting and also for drying. Check to see if the paints will give off VOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Would I be correct in assuming that Crown Breathesasy brand would be low in VOC (whatever that is)?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ludo wrote: »
    Would I be correct in assuming that Crown Breathesasy brand would be low in VOC (whatever that is)?
    VOC = Volatile Organic Compunds, i.e. the organic solvents found in traditional paints and finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Biofa paints in County Clare stock natural paints that are not poisonous.
    You can try them at 065 683 5559

• Registered Users Posts: 14,418 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i'd use brushes or rollers myself cant get the coverage with babies i find

sorry - couldnt resist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Lmfao :d

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Ludo wrote: »
    Would anyone know of a good "safe" paint that can be used to paint bedrooms while there are young babies living in the house? Would be able to get them out while the work is being done and for a few hours afterwards but not for the night. They would not be staying in the rooms being painted obviously and they will be ventilated but there will still be a smell of paint throughout the house I imagine.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cut a few oranges or lemons into segments, and simply leave in a bowl and you'll be amazed how suddenly the smell of fresh paint disappears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Re; Apples/oranges/onions and paint fumes...
    Smell? Yes.
    Fumes? No.

Mad M is right, use as much water based product as possible.
    Crown breatheasy doesn't have less VOC, just the smells of the plastics and binders have been reduced.
    The fumes given off by emulsion whilst curing are not toxic, since it's only water evaporating and a small % of chemical residue....it's oil and solvent based paints that can be considered more harmful, since they involve the evaporation of paetroleum products and other harmful substances.

For the most part, all wall finishes will be water-based....traditionally wood primers and finishes would be oil or solvent based but these days water based undercoat, eggshell/gloss finishes and clear stains/varnishes for wood are all now readily available, if a little more expensive.
    IMO just avoid oil and solvent based products and open the windows. There will be a residual smell for a day or more depending on the amount of coats applied and the area of surfaces covered. Keep heat on low in rooms and leave window open as little.
    All paint products have to provide a safety data sheet....you can usually find these online and they will specifically tell you if they're safe for your intended usage and give exposure limits for different gaes etc.

Wertz wrote: »
    Re; Apples/oranges/onions and paint fumes...
    Smell? Yes.
    Fumes? No.

Mad M is right, use as much water based product as possible.
    Crown breatheasy doesn't have less VOC, just the smells of the plastics and binders have been reduced.
    The fumes given off by emulsion whilst curing are not toxic, since it's only water evaporating and a small % of chemical residue....it's oil and solvent based paints that can be considered more harmful, since they involve the evaporation of paetroleum products and other harmful substances.

For the most part, all wall finishes will be water-based....traditionally wood primers and finishes would be oil or solvent based but these days water based undercoat, eggshell/gloss finishes and clear stains/varnishes for wood are all now readily available, if a little more expensive.
    IMO just avoid oil and solvent based products and open the windows. There will be a residual smell for a day or more depending on the amount of coats applied and the area of surfaces covered. Keep heat on low in rooms and leave window open as little.
    All paint products have to provide a safety data sheet....you can usually find these online and they will specifically tell you if they're safe for your intended usage and give exposure limits for different gaes etc.

Sound slike the rocket scientist heading off for a field day. Anyways you can obviously distinguish paint smells from paint fumes. Can you explain to us lesser mortals how you do it? For example, lets assume a newly painted house and for simplicity again lets assume all paints are water based. Yes windos are open to ventilate area, but can you tell us how you would know whats going up your nose is (a) a smell or (b) a fume or even (c) both a smell and a fume???

Look forward to enlightenment and who knows I might even sleep better at nighttime.

Sounds like someone trolling. If you don't know what the difference is between an odour and fumes then you shouldn't be posting advice here.
    For instance, natural gas is a fume...but it doesn't have an odour. That smell is added later to allow detection. The gas itself is harmful, the additive is not (at least not in it's use here), but it's the additive that you smell.
    VOC's nearly always have a strong odour...you can mask that odour with as many old wives' methods as you like, but it does not dispell the harmful effects of the substance.
    If you read the OP again; the guy is looking to minimising exposure of his child's developing lungs to dangerous substances, not to have his house smelling nice.

Enjoy your slumber.

• Advertisement

Sounds like someone trolling. If you don't know what the difference is between an odour and fumes then you shouldn't be posting advice here.
    For instance, natural gas is a fume...but it doesn't have an odour. That smell is added later to allow detection. The gas itself is harmful, the additive is not (at least not in it's use here), but it's the additive that you smell.
    VOC's nearly always have a strong odour...you can mask that odour with as many old wives' methods as you like, but it does not dispell the harmful effects of the substance.
    If you read the OP again; the guy is looking to minimising exposure of his child's developing lungs to dangerous substances, not to have his house smelling nice.

Enjoy your slumber.

Well why not read the Op post yourself and tell us where he talks of odours, dangerous substances, exposure or indeed natural gas? Save us the cub scout lesson on detecting gas, obviously you inspired some creative along the way.the ads work on people like you.

Sorry for pricking your delusional baloon , but natural gas is a fossil fuel and not a fume. Where did you learn such science jibberishness?

And lastly when you do know the difference between a smell (not an odour) and a fume, do something about it or you'll be reported for ignorance.

Alright then, don't take my word for it....go fetch a can of paint.
    Read the advice on the back...something along the lines of;

"Use only in a well ventilated area"

not

"Use only in an area where you have previously prepared some cut fruit"

Sarcasm draped posting aside, the natural gas analogy is the best thing I could think of off the top of my head, a simple concept.
    To spell it out again; just because something doesn't smell deoesn't mean it's not harmful...therefore, using your tried and tested method for veiling the smell/odour doesn't lessen the harmfulness.

Smoke is a fume. Smoke also has a smell. The smell of smoke won't kill you, the smoke probably will.
    Go try a dictionary...smell and odour are synonymous. Fume(s) is a different thing. Similar but different.
    but natural gas is a fossil fuel and not a fume
    lol

Like I said, consult a dictionary...

The OP asks for safe paints...why would a parent be worried about smells? He/she is worried about harmful substances pervading the air of his home and affecting his children.

Alright then, don't take my word for it....go fetch a can of paint.
    Read the advice on the back...something along the lines of;

"Use only in a well ventilated area"

not

"Use only in an area where you have previously prepared some cut fruit"

Sarcasm draped posting aside, the natural gas analogy is the best thing I could think of off the top of my head, a simple concept.
    To spell it out again; just because something doesn't smell deoesn't mean it's not harmful...therefore, using your tried and tested method for veiling the smell/odour doesn't lessen the harmfulness.

Smoke is a fume. Smoke also has a smell. The smell of smoke won't kill you, the smoke probably will.
    Go try a dictionary...smell and odour are synonymous. Fume(s) is a different thing. Similar but different.

lol

Like I said, consult a dictionary...

The OP asks for safe paints...why would a parent be worried about smells? He/she is worried about harmful substances pervading the air of his home and affecting his children.

The more you spout the more you remind me of :

L

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement