Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More readyboost questions

• 26-01-2008 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭

I have a Vista Laptop with 2G of Ram. I also have a 2G SD card which is working as the ReadyBoost cache.

Q1: I have ordered a 4G USB stick and am thinking of getting a 4 or 8G SDHC card and a suitable reader that can go in the Express card slot. The question is how can you measure the in/out speed of these little cards/sticks to see which is best for Readyboost.

Q2: Is 4G still the maximum possible ReadyBoost cache size? Is that likely to be increased soonish?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What are you goin 2 be running that will need so much cache :eek: Is 2Gb ram & page file not enough? cant really see you getting much improvement from readyboost as your not short on ram or page file

Yes, 4gb is the max, more answers here and here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

I have a Vista Laptop with 2G of Ram. I also have a 2G SD card which is working as the ReadyBoost cache.

Q1: I have ordered a 4G USB stick and am thinking of getting a 4 or 8G SDHC card and a suitable reader that can go in the Express card slot. The question is how can you measure the in/out speed of these little cards/sticks to see which is best for Readyboost.

Q2: Is 4G still the maximum possible ReadyBoost cache size? Is that likely to be increased soonish?

pretty sure ready boost only woks with usb pen drives, or is there a reg tweak to fix it?

from http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/archive/2006/06/02/615199.aspx
    Q: Why don't you support SD on my USB2.0 external card reader?
    A: We unfortunately don't support external card readers - there were some technical hurdles that we didn't have time to address. In general, if a card reader shows a drive without media in it (like a floppy drive or CD ROM does), we can't use it for ReadyBoost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

mukki wrote: »
    pretty sure ready boost only woks with usb pen drives, or is there a reg tweak to fix it?

It works on SD memory cards, just not on external usb card readers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Just started using ReadyBoost on my Desktop. 2GB RAM and 1GB USB Pen drive.

Can't say I've noticed anything yet which will keep me running it long term. Still I wait to be convinced.

As for how it works, I assume it uses the ReadyBoost cache before the page file as the page file is a write to disk which is slower then to the flash memory? Can anyone confirm that? So with lets say 2GB USB pen drive you could disable the page file all together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    What are you goin 2 be running that will need so much cache :eek: Is 2Gb ram & page file not enough? cant really see you getting much improvement from readyboost as your not short on ram or page file

Yes, 4gb is the max, more answers here and here

Thanks for the info. I'm not running anything special I just want the little b@stard to go a bit faster.

FYI your two links seem to be the same?

EDIT:-
    PogMaThoin said:
    It works on SD memory cards, just not on external usb card readers.

I wonder would it work on an SDHC card in an ExpressCard Adapter?

Also is there a way the home user can measure the spped of an SD card, USB stick or similar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Dorsanty wrote: »
    Just started using ReadyBoost on my Desktop. 2GB RAM and 1GB USB Pen drive.

Can't say I've noticed anything yet which will keep me running it long term. Still I wait to be convinced.

As for how it works, I assume it uses the ReadyBoost cache before the page file as the page file is a write to disk which is slower then to the flash memory? Can anyone confirm that? So with lets say 2GB USB pen drive you could disable the page file all together.

its all in the msdn link above

in gamers terms
    think of a usb key as 512kb broadband with a 20ms ping and think of a hard drive as 4mb broadband with a 500ms ping

either would be pretty crap on thier on, but having both would rock

Advertisement