Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is it that radio DJs never back-announce tracks when you want to know what it was

Options
  • 26-01-2008 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Well?
    It's almost a certainty that radio DJs never back-announce a tracks title when you really want to know the name of the tune.
    And this is even when they clearly haven't introduced it either.
    Forgetful, lazy pr1cks.

There's this very evocative dance track i've always wanted to know the name of that was on the radio recently and after waiting in vain only for the dj not to say what it was, it's title still eludes me.
    I can't give a proper description of it either unfortunately. :(
    Think it was used in an ad though a couple of years ago (maybe a soft drink ad, not sure) and i'd say it was by a relatively mainstream artist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

A lot of playlist radio is like this, especially on breakfast radio, where there is so much going on. However, you will find that in programs where music is the most important element more attention tends to be given to naming tracks.

Listen to Phantom 105.2 any time of the day, if you can pick it up, and you will hear the tracks named... because they care about the music.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Because they don't know what the name of the song is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Because they don't like the idea of you going out and buying it so you can listen to it instead of listening to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

This is something that bugs me too. Could it be moved to Radio please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Good old Cian O Ciobhain on RnaG reads the names of the last three or four songs, spends a bit of time on each song, i.e. tells you the record label, album, etc. THen he goes back and reads them all out a second time. It also helps that the music is fu*king excellent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

It's really annoying when dj's do that. Last time was when I heard Cathy Davy's new song played a few times and they never said the name of the song or who sang it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's probably just carelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭MarkN

It's actually to cut down on radio clutter.

If it's new song, back announce it, apart from that, why tell a listener something they know already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

MarkN wrote: »
    It's actually to cut down on radio clutter.

If it's new song, back announce it, apart from that, why tell a listener something they know already.

And how are you supposed to know that? Fair enough if you're playing U2's - One, but what if you're playing B-52's Rock Lobster (for example). Most people that would listen to Phantom might know the track, but surly not everyone!

I suppose it depends on what type of station it is Catch. If it's a classic example of a play the hits station then the rule I mentioned works fine.

• Advertisement

I suppose it depends on what type of station it is Catch. If it's a classic example of a play the hits station then the rule I mentioned works fine.

I suppose. But ever have one of those moments where a really popular song (generally a classic) that you love comes on the air....but can't remember what its called? Then you wait to hear it back announced only for the presenter to just move on leaving you completely frustrated. Maybe just me....! :)

I understand what you're saying about cleaning up links and not filling them with clutter....but you can easily and clearly back-track three songs in the first 10 seconds of a link, without making it sound cluttered.

catch--22 wrote: »
    I suppose. But ever have one of those moments where a really popular song (generally a classic) that you love comes on the air....but can't remember what its called? Then you wait to hear it back announced only for the presenter to just move on leaving you completely frustrated. Maybe just me....! :)

You are right, one of the most frustrating things for a listener is not being told the name of a track if they want to hear it, in theory though, the older the song, the better the chance of them knowing it.
    catch--22 wrote: »
    back-track three songs in the first 10 seconds of a link, without making it sound cluttered.

Some PDs will have different opinions on this. I spoke to one of the most successful Group PDs in the UK about this only a few months ago and he felt backselling songs was worthwhile but the format I am used to does not really allow for it.

You are right, one of the most frustrating things for a listener is not being told the name of a track if they want to hear it, in theory though, the older the song, the better the chance of them knowing it..

I always find it's the old ones I have trouble with....but I do have the memory of a goldfish! ;)

Some PDs will have different opinions on this. I spoke to one of the most successful Group PDs in the UK about this only a few months ago and he felt backselling songs was worthwhile but the format I am used to does not really allow for it.

True, I suppose it all depends on the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

lordgoat wrote: »
    Because they don't know what the name of the song is.

are you being serious?

Advertisement