Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meet the Super?

Options
  • 26-01-2008 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hi All-
    Anybody ever meet up with their local Garda superintendent to sound them out BEFORE you apply for a firearms licence?
    At this stage I'm probably only looking to bring my .22 air rifle over from the States and I was thinking of talking to the super first to see what he would require from me to grant the licence - before I go to the time and expense of making the necessary arrangements (ie safe and monitored alarm etc.)
    Anybody do it this way? It would seem to me that the FAO might appreciate it as a gesture of respect. What do you think?
    Cheers lads
    chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Probably talk to the FAO / Sarge in your local station first if it's not the district office. They should know what the Super requires and will allow. Also, you're building that crucial local relationship. Do up an info sheet about what you're applying for, who you are etc. and it will help a great deal. Sparks shared a good template with me for the factsheet which I adjusted for my own requirements. I'm happy to share if you wish (send me a PM)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

Hi All-
    Anybody ever meet up with their local Garda superintendent to sound them out BEFORE you apply for a firearms licence?
    At this stage I'm probably only looking to bring my .22 air rifle over from the States and I was thinking of talking to the super first to see what he would require from me to grant the licence - before I go to the time and expense of making the necessary arrangements (ie safe and monitored alarm etc.)
    Anybody do it this way? It would seem to me that the FAO might appreciate it as a gesture of respect. What do you think?
    Cheers lads
    chris
    hi i have went down to the local garda ask first as a gesture of respect.
    told me join local club and he told me no problin to get .22 rinfire
    do not ask for safe or alarm he knows me 7 years
    he might ask you for amarica police info is there on you .
    IE have you broke the law THIS IS ONLY TRYING TO ANS YOUR POST
    IT IS NOT ABOUT YOU PLEASE DONT TAKE THIS TO HEART IT IS MY
    2 CENT WOURD:D:D PS WELCOME

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Met the local lad well before applying for any of my licences. Proved to be a very good idea - they end up knowing that you're serious and legitimate and they get a few days to mull it over before the application comes in so that it doesn't surprise them in the least.

Sparks wrote: »
    Met the local lad well before applying for any of my licences. Proved to be a very good idea - they end up knowing that you're serious and legitimate and they get a few days to mull it over before the application comes in so that it doesn't surprise them in the least.

spot on sparks +1:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Agree. I did the same. Had really good conversations with the FAO, Super and the local Crime Prevention Officer. Never had a bother afterwards applying for different things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Sounds like that's the way to go then. Thanks for the replies.
    And don't worry thehair - never had so much as a speeding ticket!:D:D

Sounds like that's the way to go then. Thanks for the replies.
    And don't worry thehair - never had so much as a speeding ticket!:D:D
    ok lol:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Where's this factsheet of yours Sparks? I'd like to have a look at it to make sure I've got everything right for my own application. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I'd like a copy of that factsheet as well please lads. PM?

Sorry for the delay lads, forgot which folder (and on what PC) the files were:

ApplicationInfo.jpg

The original file was in Visio, but if you can use that, here it is.

• Advertisement

Just to let you know that putting something like this together really helps a lot. I sent one in with my application. The sarge came out last Tuesday (22Jan) to check out the safe and security arrangements, and I've a letter in my postbox today telling me the cert is ready for collection.
    Naas District rocks! :D

8 days - now that's what I call service :D:D:D

(/bigred is mildly overjoyed at obtaining his very first cert)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

bigred wrote: »
    Just to let you know that putting something like this together really helps a lot. I sent one in with my application. The sarge came out last Tuesday (22Jan) to check out the safe and security arrangements, and I've a letter in my postbox today telling me the cert is ready for collection.
    Naas District rocks! :D

8 days - now that's what I call service :D:D:D

(/bigred is mildly overjoyed at obtaining his very first cert)

8 days? Bored resignation turning into impotent rage. What a sh*tty country!

dresden8 wrote: »

It was only for an air pistol BTW. I wouldn't expect the bigger stuff to get done so quickly.

dresden8 wrote: »
    8 days for a background check and paperwork to go up through the offices to the park and then back down again. It's not record-breaking, but it's not too bad. Last I heard, the record for one of these was somewhere around three years...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

bigred wrote: »
    It was only for an air pistol BTW. I wouldn't expect the bigger stuff to get done so quickly.

You would imagine the process is the same though. Background check and shuffle paperwork along. I'm not a psychotic killer with a history of armed robbery. If that was the case I'd understand, it's not even my first licence. Sheesh!!!!!!!!!!!!

A lot seems to be down to your district and how efficiently the super's office is run. You've nothing to lose by calling the local station, or even the district station. It could well be lost under a stack of paperwork somewhere. Without a prompt, they wont know it's missing and have a look for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ah the joys of dealing with a rural station.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Sorry for the delay lads, forgot which folder (and on what PC) the files were:

ApplicationInfo.jpg

The original file was in Visio, but if you can use that, here it is.

Sparks,

Nice air pistol. Is this a piston action? Looks like it from the diagram. I used to own a Webley Tempest in .22. kicked like a rimfire due to the piston travelling to the rear under spring pressure. I will probably invest in an air pistol sometime this year. Just need to know more about ones suitable for target shooting.
    Cheers :)

Yup, it's a single-stroke pistol action baikal pistol for ISSF 10m Air Pistol Kryten. Haven't shot with it as much as I'd like, and the pistol grip is in need of customisation, but it's able to hold the ten ring a lot better than I can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Not quite Kryten. I think you charge the cylinder and the shot is released by the compressed air rather than by a piston and spring.

A lot of air pistols nowadays are charged by using a compressed air cylinder filled from a scuba tank. Typically getting 120 shots out of a fill.

IZHMP-672.jpg
    This is the newest IZH Air Pistol with the cylinder

PardiniK2SAir.jpg

The Pardini K2S

MoriniCM162EI.jpg

And the Morini 162EI

There are lots more :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Just read up a bit on it. Single stroke pneumatic. You operate the lever to compress the air in the cylinder. When you operate the trigger it opens a valve firing the shot. No recoil effect. I have seen this principle in an air rifle back in the late 80's. No need for compressed air cylinders etc...
    Good system! What sort of price and who sells them?...
    Oh well, more hassle at the station for a licence. :)

Okay, I had immediately thought SSP (Single Stroke Pneumatic) when Kryten mentioned piston :D Definitely a decent system, and they still make air rifles and air pistols today that use it, but PCP (Pre ComPressed?) systems are becoming much more popular as they need less work during a match. On the other hand, the Izzy cost me 250 by the time it got here, and the cheapest pre-compressed model I could find cost three times that...

I bought mine through the EAA in the US (who buy them from Baikal in Russia... so the thing crossed the atlantic twice to get to me. Not very green. There's meant to be a dealer in Galway, but I've never been able to get more detail than that :( ).

Yup, it's a single-stroke pistol action baikal pistol for ISSF 10m Air Pistol Kryten. Haven't shot with it as much as I'd like, and the pistol grip is in need of customisation, but it's able to hold the ten ring a lot better than I can!

This is what I got my licence for last night. I'd been shooting it in the club since I joined in October. It's a great piece of kit once you 'adjust' it to suit. Santa brought me a Dremel at Christmas and I've transformed the grip - it fits like a glove now. It's beating shooters (by a long way) that have the super-shiny EUR1200 pcp match pistols and has the scope to probably go all the way to compete internationally (if the I can skill up to match :)). I had started out in pistol wanting a top-of-the-range gun, but this is more than a match for the best of them and I've no intention to upgrade any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

It's strange that you can't seem to get them in Europe. I know someone else who's getting one from Pilkguns and it's costing him about €210 landed (dollar weakness I suspect).

PCP systems are a good deal more expensive, but you can pick up second hand ones from time to time.

On that subject, Toni Kuchler in Switzerland has a Steyr LP5 for sale second hand for about €700.

dscn1863.jpg

That's the rapid fire version of the LP10 - Latest Model is the LP50, but this one is in very good condition.

He has a nice collection of second hand stuff at the moment including a Morini CM22M, Hammerli SP20, Benelli MP90S and even a Walther SSP with only 500 rounds through it!

Advertisement