Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Problem" with modem (Lastmile - provider)

Options
  • 26-01-2008 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I don't know much about any of this stuff so try to dumb it down a little it you can :o

Here's the deal: I have lastmile broadband (1 MB) as it's the only provider available in my area other than o2. I've had this provider a couple years. There is no router, just a modem which gives the PC it's connection. There is no antennae and therefore it cannot give any signal to another PC, or in this case, my Xbox.

I've been trying to figure out how to get online but I don't know how. Maybe it's just not possible with this provider.

I have an adapter for my Xbox which will pick up the signal from a modem with antennae/router. However, as stated, my modem doesn't give off any signal. I have a router that one of my friends gave me, and I tried hooking it up (to the modem) every way imaginable, and even when it should have worked (in theory anyway) it still wouldn't give off signal because the internet wouldn't connect while the modem was connected to the router. I hope that makes sense. I also installed the router using the CD that came with it (it's an Eircom router - a netopia one - would that have any difference since my provider isn't eircom?).

I should also tell you that my modem has no ports for any extra cable etc.. Altogether it has 3 "plugs" and all them must be connected for the internet to work on my PC. One is for power, the other to connect the box to computer, and the other is a wire that goes up through the roof (presumable to get signal outside to bring it back to the modem, which is in turn connected to computer).
    What I did to connect the two was ;
    Put an extra ethernet cable I had into the computer (just beside the cable connecting modem to comp) and put the other end into the router. Should this not work? I mean, would the internet not go from the computer to the router, thus sharing the connection via the router to the adapter on my Xbox?

I could be making a simple mistake. I need all the help so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone needs me to explain something better I will do that. Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I should also tell you that my modem has no ports for any extra cable etc.. Altogether it has 3 "plugs" and all them must be connected for the internet to work on my PC. One is for power, the other to connect the box to computer, and the other is a wire that goes up through the roof (presumable to get signal outside to bring it back to the modem, which is in turn connected to computer).

Firstly, what you got from lastmile is not a modem, just a power over ethernet (poe) that supplies the router out on your wall/chimney with power.

You can use wireless router to send your broadband wirelessly in your house, but you've gotta configure it for lastmile using the pppoe settings that lastmile gave you in order for it to connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Firstly, what you got from lastmile is not a modem, just a power over ethernet (poe) that supplies the router out on your wall/chimney with power.

You can use wireless router to send your broadband wirelessly in your house, but you've gotta configure it for lastmile using the pppoe settings that lastmile gave you in order for it to connect.

Thanks so much for the reply. If you have the time, could you go into a little more detail? I'm not too good at these things.

So I should just plug the router into the computer and then change the settings on the router (how do I do this)? I wonder if I got in contact with lastmile is there any chance they could send/sell me a modem/router instead of the box, which gives off signal? Do you think this is possible?

moneyman wrote: »
    I wonder if I got in contact with lastmile is there any chance they could send/sell me a modem/router instead of the box, which gives off signal? Do you think this is possible?

:rolleyes: Absolutely no chance, their customer support is the pits & anyway no isp will help you with a private wireless setup.

The Eircom Netopia router will not work. You'll need to buy a wireless router with an ethernet wan port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I believe the Eircom router is a DSL router and is designed to connect directly to a phone line. Last Mile is a wireless provider and does not provide a phone line style connection. I think this is the problem.

You need a non-DSL broadband wireless router i.e. one with an ethernet WAN port. It also needs to run the PPPoE protocol to connect to Last Mile.

Example of router: Netgear WGR614.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Very simple solution here. I have the same set up from a community wireless broadband operator. Buy a wireless router. They're around 100 euro from any computer shop. Plug the cable that goes from your "box" to your PC at the moment into your new router. The router will then send this signal around your house available for pickup by your xbox and other laptops etc. You can either connect your PC wirelessly or run a cable from the router to the pc. Make sure you set up your security on your router too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

To setup Lastmile for a Wireless or more wired connections, get a Wireless Router (I use the Linksys WRT54g, which you can get for around 70 euro). Plug the ethernet cable for the lastmile plug into the WAN connection of the router. And plug an ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on the router into the PC.

Connect to the routers admin page. this is normally done via a web browser by going to http://192.168.1.1.
    To get the exact address on your pc goto Start -> Run -> cmd
    Then type "ipconfig" and press enter. The ip address for the admin page will be the address of the default gateway.

Then setup the router for PPPoE access, with your lastmile username and password.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I never got this sorted and am thinking of giving it a go soon.

Just to clarify, I basically need to buy a wireless router with an ethernet WAN port? I have no idea what this looks like so I'll trust that the person behind the counter gives me the right one. Also, I think I'll need another ethernet cable to plug the router into the computer? Will this cable come with the router?

Thanks for all your help, reading back on this thread - there's alot of great information. Without you all, I'm completely clueless. Thanks.

Just buy it online, its cheaper and most shops (PC World, Harvey Norman etc) will push You towards a crap one like a Belkin or the likes as they've got more profit outa them. Here, I can vouch for this little router, I set them up regularly for work and they never let me down yet

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Just buy it online, its cheaper and most shops (PC World, Harvey Norman etc) will push You towards a crap one like a Belkin or the likes as they've got more profit outa them. Here, I can vouch for this little router, I set them up regularly for work and they never let me down yet

The only problem with buying online is;

A) I'm not 100% sure it will definitely work
    B) If it doesn't I can't return it, and if I can I'll have to pay for shipping again.

EDIT: Postage was right on front of me. Very cheap. Might go that route.

I can assure You it works as long as its setup properly. I work for another ISP and we use them for doing the pppoe dialling similar to Lastmile, also we've tried other brands and opted for Linksys over others as they give the least trouble and always hold their settings

• Advertisement
Advertisement