Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wow, Duvets and Pillows are EXPENSIVE!

• 26-01-2008 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a new Duvet, pillows and covers for the lot. Not something I've had to buy before myself and wow, they are expensive. I don't want to get a crappy set so can anyone recommend a place to get good quality bed clothing at affordable prices? And what's all this feather vs thermo stuff? Big difference in price it seems.

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Guineys do good value normally.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can't wash feathers - takes forever to dry - some people are allergic
    But they fold up smaller and some people love them.

check TOG value to see how warm the duvet will be - should not make a difference between different hollow fibre ones. Buy two light ones rather than one heavy one that is only used in winter. Spend the money on nice covers.

Lidl are doing some of that stuff but not as cheap as you'd like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for that. Haven't seen any in Lidl and don't see any on the website either:confused:

All the TOG values today seemed to be 13.5, didn't really check them all though. Hows that?

There was a duvet there for I think €27 and then one for €100. What could be the difference?? And then there Egyptian cotton vs "normal?" cotton €80 or so for a set:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

TK Max would have ranges of these as well with a good discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

I bought mine in tkmaxx 2yrs ago after looking around a lot, I bought a feather one, and you can buy ones that are machine washable. 13.5 tog is usual, however I find it too hot to use in the summer. I would also get one with a 100% cotton covering. Poly/cotton mix or poly covering will make you sweat, you'll get too hot, they don't allow your skin to breath, and by the way so will a synthetic filling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Aldi had some nice ones about 2 weeks ago. Just changed most of ours. Duvets, Pillows, blankets and matress protectors. Very happy with quality, so far.
    And mother in law was equally impressed! And she knows a lot more then I do about them!

Would a poly/cotton duvet be ok under a cotton duvet cover?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Haven't seen any in Lidl and don't see any on the website either:confused:

All the TOG values today seemed to be 13.5, didn't really check them all though. Hows that?

There was a duvet there for I think €27 and then one for €100. What could be the difference?? And then there Egyptian cotton vs "normal?" cotton €80 or so for a set:eek:

i bought a decent one in argos of all places. its actually 2 duvets in one. so use them together = 15 tog = winter
    then separately = 4.5 tog = summer
    10.5 tog = autumn/spring

i buy my rebound pillows in penneys 2 for 10 (i think)
    also, i use brushed cotton p.cases & sheets as theyre very very soft, once again in penneys. nice & cheap.
    then i buy a decent duvet cover in heatons (surprising quality & selection) for about 25 for a decent set.

good luck

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Try Harry Corry.

13.5 is a good all year tog, thats why you will find it in most places.

I would agree with polyester for your pilows, but nothing beats a good pocket sown feather and down duvet.

Thanks for the info, Forgot about Heatons, must have a look there and will check out Pennys and Argos too. Don't think there is a Harry Corry around anywhere near me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

The pennys in Nutgrove has a duvet/soft furnishings specific shop; Thats where we get most of our duvet covers etc

cool thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Shaws in Dun Laoghaire do cheap bed stuff. Egyptian cotton is usually a high thread count per inch, so smoother sort of like silk, think it is a different cotton but usually is high thread count.

You can get non-iron cotton sheets too, dunno how they work but they do seem to crease a lot less.

I have 2 pillows, foam and feather. The feather pillows are able to be moulded about, you can squish them and punch them into shape tp fit your head perfect, sometimes I prefer the other though. Feather duvets are nice and heavy which I like, they stay in place, much more expensive though.

Dunnes also do kits fairly cheap, like you get a duvet 2 pillow & maybe a matress protector or something.

Advertisement