Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever have bad experiences with property management/bad tenants?

Options
  • 26-01-2008 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever used a property management service & then had problems with troublesome tenants? Are references from previous landlords always reliable? What happens if you're out of the country?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 freeanipper

had the reverse. noisy tenants and a letting agency who didnt give a feck so long as they were getting there rent. they wernt interested in dealing with the noise issues, eventually took the landlord to court much to his surprise. judge notifed him ignorence isnt bliss and fined him :D if i was a landlord id take an interest about whats happening in my home/investment in case any problems arose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Yes I have used a 'property management' service and then had problems with troublesome tenants.

References from previous landlords are not always reliable.

If you are out of the country it is very difficult for you to evaluate and deal with issues that arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Glacier

I thought managing problems that arise was exactly the job of property management?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 freeanipper

they try to manage a problem to best suit them selfs. if tenant or tennants are paying on time then they have no interest in addressing in my experence neighbours problems at all. seems they just want there % with as little hassle as possible. how hard would it be just to run the thing yourself check on the tenants once in a while and save a few bob in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Managing the property means making sure the rent comes in and calling in tradesmen if needed to do repairs. If your house gets trashed and the tenant leaves, the agent will just send you the bill for repairs and you have to pay it. It doesn't mean that they are responsible for everything.

To be fair, there are some better agents out there. Some of them work very hard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement