Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave Broadband in Dublin City Centre

Options
  • 26-01-2008 10:59pm
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any experience with it? Going to college in Trinity next year and it may be my only option for gaming...

I presume pings would be reasonable in the city centre? maybe 50ms?

Any thoughts welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 gary314c

anytime i check on speedtest.net it gives a ping of around 250ms. thats on the 512kbps package

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ripwave is 100ms to 2000ms pings.
    3G/HSDPA is 120ms to 1000ms pings.
    Digiweb Mobile may be receivable near Trinity and has < 50ms to local servers. (Not 3g/Edge/GPRS/HSDPA, completely different technology).

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

damn :( Thanks for the help, I know Irish Broadband Breeze (mounted aerial) gets around 5ms ping in certain parts of Dublin and still very respectable pings in the city, but I don't think Trinity would be to happy about an aerial on my outside wall :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

watty wrote: »
    Ripwave is 100ms to 2000ms pings.
    3G/HSDPA is 120ms to 1000ms pings.
    Digiweb Mobile may be receivable near Trinity and has < 50ms to local servers. (Not 3g/Edge/GPRS/HSDPA, completely different technology).

Just had a look on The Digiweb site, it's still saying
    "Our next generation broadband is live in Fingal County, including :
    Balbriggan, Ballyboughal, Blanchardstown, Clonsilla, Corduff, Donabate, Kinsealy, Mulhuddart, Portmarnock, Rush, St Margarets and Swords."

As far as I know, that's about all the availability at the moment. I rang up recently about coverage around Phibsboro/city centre and was told they've no roll-out dates or information.

Advertisement