Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Which decade rocked best or worst?

• 26-01-2008 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Inspired by Pop on Trial (BBC4) I thought I'd ask this question.

Was it the 60s with the emergence of that thing we call ROCK, the 70s which built on the likes of Cream and Hendrix to give us megabudget excess, or maybe the 80s when things scaled back and got a bit worthy. Can a case be made for the 90s and its grungy goings on? If anyone can big up the 00s please do, I sure can't! :)

Mike.

Which decade rocked best? 38 votes

1960s
    0% 0 votes
    1970s
    7% 3 votes
    1980s
    31% 12 votes
    1990s
    44% 17 votes
    2000s
    15% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

70's without shadow of a doubt, there is just too much going on to be denied. With Prog, Krautrock, Electronica, Glam, Funk, Disco, Punk, Reggae, New wave, Metal, even the MOR stuff that my old man listens to isn't all that bad. My album collection is just pockmarked with classic albums from this decade. The 60's would be my second choice with the 90's next, the 80's just didnt do it for me despite it being the decade of the Smiths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

mike65 wrote: »
    Inspired by Pop on Trial (BBC4) I thought I'd ask this question.

Was it the 60s with the emergence of that thing we call ROCK, the 70s which built on the likes of Cream and Hendrix to give us megabudget excess, or maybe the 80s when things scaled back and got a bit worthy. Can a case be made for the 90s and its grungy goings on? If anyone can big up the 00s please do, I sure can't! :)

Mike.

80s??? scaled back?? that HAS to be the first time ive heard that, 2 words MOTLEY and CRUE and a book...the dirt.

80s rocked the hardest by far!!!!!!!!!!
    without the 80s NO thrash:eek:
    no crue
    and nothing for people to stereotype metal.......and no spinal tap.

god the 80s were miles better!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

To paraphrase John Peel: right now rocks more than ever because you've all the music of today and access to all the music of yesteryear. Pick a decade and you'll find plenty of **** as well as all the classics. And for every classic you pick, there are dozens of unsung heros in every other decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

John wrote: »
    To paraphrase John Peel: right now rocks more than ever because you've all the music of today and access to all the music of yesteryear. Pick a decade and you'll find plenty of **** as well as all the classics. And for every classic you pick, there are dozens of unsung heros in every other decade.

I couldn't agree more without popping a bloodvessel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kona wrote: »
    80s??? scaled back?? that HAS to be the first time ive heard that, 2 words MOTLEY and CRUE and a book...the dirt.

80s rocked the hardest by far!!!!!!!!!!
    without the 80s NO thrash:eek:
    no crue
    and nothing for people to stereotype metal.......and no spinal tap.

god the 80s were miles better!!!

Motley Crue were pusycats compared to the most excessive moments of the Who or Zep! Thrash well it was fast and loud but had no "weight", Spinal Tap were of course based on bands like Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden both of whom are from 1970s even though Maiden tend to be considered 80s.

The 70s rock, the 80s was an ozone hazzard. :)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Motley Crue were pusycats compared to the most excessive moments of the Who or Zep! Thrash well it was fast and loud but had no "weight", Spinal Tap were of course based on bands like Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden both of whom are from 1970s even though Maiden tend to be considered 80s.
    Iron Maiden are considered 80s because they released their first album in 1980!!!

Has to be the 70s. Sabbath, Zep, Floyd, all in their prime. Not to mention Blue Oyster Cult, Deep Purple and newcomers like Rainbow, pre-glam KISS, Judas Priest... How could you not think the 70s kicked the proverbial sh1te out of every other decade?

60s was good, but rock was possibly too new and psychedelic (not the cool trippy kind, the stupid fcuked up kind) for my liking. Sure, you had pure gems like Chuck Berry, but Beatles and Stones stuff really isn't my cup of tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Out of the poll, I said 90s. Why? Cos the music I like mostly is from that decade(Weezer, QOTSA, Pumpkins etc).

DO I have anything against the other decades? Not at all. I like them all, although maybe not the 60s ot 00s as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

Just to add some positives for the 00's, how about Mastodon, amazing new albums from Paradise Lost and Machine Head, Opeth gaining a much larger fanbase with Ghost Reveries. Systematic chaos from Dream Theater most of these have all been in the last three years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

The 80's brought a lot of my favourite bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

i like the 2000's the most (then followed by the 90's and it goes backwards like that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Would definitely put the 00's last. Serious lack of decent music around at the minute.

The 70s rock, the 80s was an ozone hazzard. :)

Mike.

No way was the 80s outcassed in excess, EVERYTHING was excess, lambo countach for example in a non-musical sense.
    Look at the concerts from the 80s!!! everything was OTT,
    the 70s rock influenced the 80s rock, and well 90s rock was just full of ****.
    In fact metallicas albums are a good was of defining **** eras in music.

kill em all...early 80s is amazing.
    load.....mid 90s was full of ****!!

wasnt blak sabbath formed and released first album in the late 60s??

Iron maiden with bruce dickinson(the famous group of members) only formed in the early 80s when dickenson left samson.

and in all honesty ONLY aerosmith outclassed the crue as regards to substance abuse.
    i mean nikki sixx and tommy lee both married playmates and baywatch babes.

Vince killed razzle dingley when he was drunk driving.

Nikki died of a O.D , was brought back and shot up again the day he got out of hospital.

Zep may have drank alot, but wasnt jimmy page into........14-16 year olds:eek:

Its all in the songs while zep sang the immigrant song, the crue sand Girls,girls,girls and rock and roll junkie........songs speak for themselves tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

The 70's was the decade of Hard Rock, Prog, Metal, Punk, Art Rock, Bowie, Neil Young, Roxie Music, Krautrock. Things might have started earlier but everything refined itself and developed and mutated like never before. It doesn't matter in the slightest though, they will always be great music, check the Folk Rock thread for the recommendation by John. If that doesn't blow your mind you're deaf or dead or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

kona wrote: »
    Iron maiden with bruce dickinson(the famous group of members) only formed in the early 80s when dickenson left samson.

And, no offence to Bon Scott, but 1980's AC/DC "Hells Bells" is perhaps THE best rock album ever made.

When KISS took off their make up in 1983 their albums all sold over a million each, simple because they knew very well that now the music has to be up there with the best and they delivered, especially with Eric Carr as a drummer.

Not to mention another 80s gem: Twisted Sister

I say the 80's rule!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kona,

Iron Maiden were formed by Steve Harris in 1975 (yes 1975!) Paul Di'Anno sang vocals on the bands first two albums, Brucie joined in 1981. Black Sabbaths debut album was in 1970.

The 70s ruled for me due to the diversity of the music - Jethro Tull to Kraftwerk to Rush to BOC to King Crimson to the Stranglers to Neil Young to Pink Floyd to Roxy Music. And all points between.

Mike.

kona,

Iron Maiden were formed by Steve Harris in 1975 (yes 1975!) Paul Di'Anno sang vocals on the bands first two albums, Brucie joined in 1981. Black Sabbaths debut album was in 1970.

thats what i said about iron maiden, they were big but then became huuge in the 80s with bruce as lead singer!!!

The 80s gave us soooooo much, but they did however provide us with alot of sh!t!!!!

Twisted Sister are great, as are AC/DC, Motley, GnR, Cinderella,W.A.S.P, slayer, mtallica, megadeth, Ratt, def leppard, some whitesnake,accept.

to me the 80s were a climax of what the 70s started with kiss, aerosmith, black sabbath, led zep, ac/dc etc..........
    thats why the 90s were **** as it had climaxed, now its starting to go through a renaissance with lots of old bands reforming like the crue, van halen, led zep

Advertisement