Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mtb to roadbike.

Options
  • 27-01-2008 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭

I have a trek mtb which i use for fitness and commuting (when the weather is better). Im planning to do a triathlon in the near future and obviously i will need a roadbike.

My first question is what is a decent roadbike? I'm looking to spend in the region of 1500. Ive seen cannondales and specialized and they look pretty nice, and expensive. Are they worth the money?

Also, i use the mtb for commuting around Galway. As there are no cycle lanes here this involves going up and down off kerbs. Would this be a complete no go on a roadbike. Just how delicate are they??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I took up road biking a couple of years ago and had the same budget. I looked at Cannondales and Specicalized. In the end I went with The Specialized Allez Elite which cost me 1500. It's a good bike, and comes with Shimano 105 gears. I've since upgraded the wheels due to a crash, but the stock ones will be fine. My crankset was changed to Shimano Ultegra as the FSA one supplied kept creaking.

I also commute on it and don't find it neccessary to jump up and down the curbs, but if you really want to do that, then it should be avoided.

Over all I like the bike and I'm glad I purchased it. My bro just ordered this years model. Mine is two years old and still going strong. I reckon it will be another 2 years before I consider a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Cycling Plus did a review on race ready road bikes this month, all of which are around your budget.

BH Speedrom 105 L51 -1699 Euro
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 Compact -£1199
    Massi Team Carbon 105 -£1200
    Cube Agree GTC Race Compact -£1400

The opinion was that the Cube was the best, albeit most expensive, but the pro model is £1199 Ultegra equipped, with Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels.

I'd also look at the Focus bikes -only available from wiggle, but they seem to get good reviews. I think the best prices will be had getting your bike online, but are you willing to pay the extra for the service your LBS gives?

Hope this is useful for ya!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Wheelworx

Depending on how tall you are we have a couple of these left
    http://www.wheelworxbikes.com/product_info.php?products_id=441
    Carbon fork and seat post and full ultegra makes them very good value

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Thanks for the advice lads.
    Wheelworx wrote: »
    Depending on how tall you are we have a couple of these left
    http://www.wheelworxbikes.com/product_info.php?products_id=441
    Carbon fork and seat post and full ultegra makes them very good value

Rob

In respect of the above im nearly 6'3. What is the correct size bicycle for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cowan

I have to say, i bought a Giant SCR4.0 '08model a coupla months ago, and it is absolutely amazing, saying that Im used to riding a 35lb Kona so anything that weighs less than my pedals is amazing. Bike cost 500 and im gonna start racing in a coupla months. Buy that and youll have 1000 to play with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    In respect of the above im nearly 6'3. What is the correct size bicycle for me?
    I would imagine you would be looking for a 60cm. I am 6'0 and generally ride 58cm (including a Trek with that geometry.) But best try it out and get fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

blorg wrote: »
    I would imagine you would be looking for a 60cm. I am 6'0 and generally ride 58cm (including a Trek with that geometry.) But best try it out and get fitted.

I'm 6'3" and a 58 fits perfect. Ronnie, go sit on a few bikes and see what is comfortable as what suits you may not suit the next man.

Sorry, didn't read all of Blorgs post, do what he says :)

Advertisement