Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paying for motorhome in germany

• 27-01-2008 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi

Going to buy a motorhome in Germany in 10 day time. Have seen 3 online and from here I think I would be happy with any of them. 2 are in dealerships and 2 is a private sale.

Obviously I don't know who I an going to deal with yet until I get there and haggle so I can't do a bank draft.

Has anyone got any advice as the best way to pay for it when I do the deal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 adria1

CASH , CASH, CASH !!
    As you don't know which motorhome you want, I would say that freshly pressed banknotes do speak. Also easier to haggle. :D

Good luck

Kind regards

Maddie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Go into your own bank and explain what you are planning to do to whoever is in charge of your account. The "face to face" bit is essential. When you decide which motorhome to buy and how much, ring your bank contact with the sellers details, bank, BIC no., IBAN no., etc.
    The bank can do an express transfer, costs about €25, will arrive at other bank within 24hrs but in my experience the same day.
    Just make sure you have an element of a "personal" relationship with the banker .this end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

What loobylou said ...and maybe a small amount of cash for a deposit should you decide to buy on a weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

if buying from a dealer they will insist on a bank transfer in advance. you might need to fax across a copy of your passport too.

There are limits to the amount of cash you can carry abroad... not sure what it is but with motorhome prices I'm sure you might breach it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭derden

When i bought mine in germany i brought over all cash, i know its risky but if you want to drive it home there and then its the only way!!! I put all the cash in a moneybelt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

it's not the only way if you have it sussed out beforehand!
    lots of people use Ryanair to do an inspection trip and then pay in advance before the collection trip.

That way you can take your time looking at vans over a long weekend instead of rushing to find one and still have enough time to get back to work etc.

Advertisement