Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 6300 text word additions

• 27-01-2008 7:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a Nokia 6300 on Vodafone, when I text a word it doesn't know I get the 'spell' option. I enter the word and then press save. However the word doesn't save and I have to spell the word each time. Do you know if I can do a software refresh on the phone, or why this is happeing..

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Must be something wrong with the phone cos I have it too and if i save a word, it actually saves. But I had the same problem with my last phone, it saved the words for a while but after a few months it stopped working altogether. Don't make the mistake i did and not bring it into the shop to get it fixed, do it tomoorow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

I have the exact same problem on my phone (search function works well here anyway!)

Is there anyway of fixing it myself, maybe an option in the men or something, or do I have to go back to the shop? Its really annoying having to spell out the same words over and over again. Wexford, Sully, feck, craic, any word I use without an apostrophe. Not into text speak so probably doesnt affect me as much as some, but its still fair annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

hanton12 wrote: »
    I have the exact same problem on my phone (search function works well here anyway!)

Is there anyway of fixing it myself, maybe an option in the men or something, or do I have to go back to the shop? Its really annoying having to spell out the same words over and over again. Wexford, Sully, feck, craic, any word I use without an apostrophe. Not into text speak so probably doesnt affect me as much as some, but its still fair annoying.

i have the exact opposite problem. on the e65, any words you add to the dictionary over-ride the default words, ie they come up first. , hi appears as ii, if as id (used to be ie), so as pm, is as ip, her as hes and many many more. i have to reset the phone every now and then to erase them all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

that happens me to OP but what i do is when i press save and it goes back to the text message i press the left button so that the word i just saved is underlined then i continue writing y message. it works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

dlambirl wrote: »
    that happens me to OP but what i do is when i press save and it goes back to the text message i press the left button so that the word i just saved is underlined then i continue writing y message. it works for me

I think the problem the OP is having is that the newly saved word doesnt actually save into the dictionary/memory for future text messages.

I have the same problem with my 6300, it saves new words for a while but after a few months it stopped working.
    I would love a solution for this too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

anyone have any ideas of a solution? Or is throwing it under a steam roller considered a solution? Really annoying me now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Bring It Back!!!!!!

not a replacement but a firmware upgrade. and that's only because he's had it a while. in general phone shops would give a replacement for buggy firmware within 28 days. of course the replacement would most likely have the same firmware

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

could do with this as well if anyone got a solution, nokia 6300 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

This is very buggy. have upgraded to latest firmware and still cannot remember most of "my" words. Dreadful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i have the exact opposite problem. on the e65, any words you add to the dictionary over-ride the default words, ie they come up first. , hi appears as ii, if as id (used to be ie), so as pm, is as ip, her as hes and many many more. i have to reset the phone every now and then to erase them all

AFAIK most new nokias have 'smart' predictive text. Good in theory, but doesnt always work too well. Basically, it organises the word list when you press asterisk in order of most used.

So in your phone, for example, ii comes up because, as its your own custom word, nokia first off gives this preference. To get 'hi' back as the first word you need to use it more than 'ii'. BUT, if you're a fast texter, you'll hit 440 for h-i-space, before you realise that its come up as 'ii' and nokia has once again assumed you use the word 'ii' more.... to fix it, try not to hit space too quick and make sure the words are as you want em. It can take a few texts, but should work

I've just re-read that, does it make any sense?

noblestee wrote: »
    AFAIK most new nokias have 'smart' predictive text. Good in theory, but doesnt always work too well. Basically, it organises the word list when you press asterisk in order of most used.

So in your phone, for example, ii comes up because, as its your own custom word, nokia first off gives this preference. To get 'hi' back as the first word you need to use it more than 'ii'. BUT, if you're a fast texter, you'll hit 440 for h-i-space, before you realise that its come up as 'ii' and nokia has once again assumed you use the word 'ii' more.... to fix it, try not to hit space too quick and make sure the words are as you want em. It can take a few texts, but should work

I've just re-read that, does it make any sense?

I know what you mean but that hasn't been my experience. I've been careful about not accidentally writing the word again but still words that i only ever used once appear before normal words. Another reason that i don't think it works that way is that the new word replaces the old one as soon as it's entered once. I must have used the word if thousands of times but as soon as i typed id it replaced it

actually i just tested it there and i think you're right but it only keeps count from the point that you first enter the odd word.

I typed radiator 5 times and then entered padgatmp into the dictionary (uses all the same letters). The next time i typed radiator it came up as that mad crap but i over-rode it a few times back to radiator and it became the default again.

Personally i'd prefer if it wasn't so "smart". I like to type without looking and it used to be i'd get to know what order the words would appear in but i can't as long it keeps changing :mad:

Or ideally they should give us some way to edit the dictionary to our own preferences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I think if you add a word in, it defaults to the 'most used', and will take a few entries of another word to overwrite. Can be a pain in the ass, mainly beacuse if you expect radiator, you will type it and hit space. then you look back and see padgatmp. So you go and replace it with radiator. But padgatmp is already the default and you've just used padgatmp again, thus bumping it up to 'most used' status, if ya get me. This is why it keeps happening.

But their idea wasn't bad.. No more charco instead of ciaran, or in my case, puff instead of stee, etc. etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭budgemook

I've just had to type the same word 3 times in one feckin message! Disaster! Good job I didn't pay anything for this phone (Nokia 6300).

Advertisement