Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"Luxury" SUV running costs (Range Rover or RX400h)

Options
  • 27-01-2008 7:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

I have driven some nice cars before but I must say that 1 of the finest is a Range Rover I drove over the weekend. I am changing my 530D in the next few weeks (hopefully!!) and had my mind set on a lexus RX400h until I test drove an 05 Range Rover TD6. This is one of the most relaxing and nicest places to sit in ever. Its not blinding fast but it has everything and it is so refined.
    I know they are not green but I tried a lot of different estates and they do nothing for me

Just wondering though is anyone on here running either of these?
    What are the running costs like, fuel economy, servicing, watchouts

Any advice would be appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Have the RX 400h. find I get good economy 9.2 L 100Km average over a couple of thousand K, mixed city and long run, probably getting about 10l 100k around the town.

Which is good for the size of it. Also good resale value, I moved up 2 years for 17K. when I traded last year.

The 400h will get a big hike in price when the new tax rules come in later in the year probably 15-20K.

The RX 400h comes very well speced, the only model comes with every extra, except sun roof. Also it is a very fast car for the size and weight of it.

From memory I think the services on the last car were less than 300 a time. every 15000 Km

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Thanks for that
    1 other thing I was thinking about was whether the new road tax rates will be brought in for not new cars in the near future. The RX would be 1000 euro compared to 2000 for the range rover.
    I think the RX would be the more sensible of the 2 but it is hard not to love the range rover.
    X5 would be a good compromise but it feels too dated inside and finding a good low mileage well speced one will cost

Any other comments welcome

richieg wrote: »
    Thanks for that
    1 other thing I was thinking about was whether the new road tax rates will be brought in for not new cars in the near future. The RX would be 1000 euro compared to 2000 for the range rover.
    I think the RX would be the more sensible of the 2 but it is hard not to love the range rover.
    X5 would be a good compromise but it feels too dated inside and finding a good low mileage well speced one will cost

Any other comments welcome

The road tax will be cheaper but the hyprid rebate will be cut to 2,500 at the most. Currently about 17K, and there will be a further increase as it is in one of the higher vrt bands 193 CO2.

Also the old car tax will apply which will be about 1400, so you will save 400 in tax PA but will probably take 40 to 50 years to make up the savings.

If you are buying before July, go for the RX400h, also be aware that there is a long waiting list for this car. Could take 3 or 4 months for delivery.

Only thing that gets a bit of getting used to is the CVT-E gearbox, sounds like the clutch is slipping when it kicksdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The RX will be massively more expensive to buy in July. At the moment it has half VRT i.e. 15%, but in July because of the high emissions, it will be in 32%. See the VRT sticky, I have the expected price list of the car there(note that the increase won't be as dramatic as I have down there because of the fact that I used the full price instead of the Open Market Selling Price (usually around 92% of the full price of the car). According to Lexus Ireland, the car is around 12k cheaper than it should be at the moment, and that will be gone in July, plus 32% VRT is higher than it should be at present(i.e. 30%) so if you do decide on the hybrid Lexus, be sure to get it before July. Even with this new VRT rebate of €2.5k, and we don't yet know what hybrids will get it yet, it will still be a lot dearer in July.

A Range Rover will also be dearer to buy in July, but the increases won't be nearly as dramatic, because there is no VRT rebate on these cars because they are not hybrids.

From the lexus site

RX 400h includes 50% reduction of VRT €11,877. Full retail price excluding VRT refund is €86,070

So the Price could be pushing 90K in July V's 74K now :eek:

• Advertisement

The new VRT rules won't apply to me as unfortunately I won't be buying new. I am looking at an 06 RX400h or a 05 Range Rover

richieg wrote: »
    The new VRT rules won't apply to me as unfortunately I won't be buying new. I am looking at an 06 RX400h or a 05 Range Rover

Will the price of the car second hand not rise, tracking the price increase of the new car.

What was the situation 5-6 years ago when the VRT bands were changed on those pick-up type vans. Did the second hand prices rise to track teh new prices.

How much will it cost to trade up from a car purchased before the changes to after the changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Hi all, I had the same problem. The RX400H is most def the smarter buy, but the Range Rover Sport looks so much better. I hope the new 400H is improved in that department, especially at the front.
    I ended up going with the 400H and am waiting for it to land (prob next week) in the dealer. The problem I have now is that I dont want Black or Silver (most are) so the dealer is bringing a red/wine one in for me, which I can decide not to take if I dont like the colour. Have any of you seen this colour yet ?
    If it turns out to be a non runner I think I'll just get the Sport (Rimni red with tan L). Normally when it comes to buying cars I have no problem making up my mind, but this is a strange one because the two really are so very different. Then there is the VRT, tax, and price changes in June to take into account (Head wrecker!).
    Also I was talking to the Lexus dealer today and he tells me that the road tax situation has changed and if I tax the car when I get it until June, then re tax it the rate will have droped 400/500 euro a year. Anyone hear about this ?
    It would be great to hear any thoughts you may have ?

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

Range Rover FTW!

These machines are amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I drove an '02 RR 3.0TD6 today and wasn't impressed, although I was suspicious that it had been clocked. Seemed pretty noisy under acceleration in comparison to my Dad's '05 DID Pajero. Nice cabin, but the pixels in the radio were gone. Put me right off, much preferred the X5. Sorry not to contribute, just an opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I've travelled in the current type Range Rover on several occasions and there is loads of diesel straight 6 growl under acceleration. A 730d has a far quieter diesel(odd considering both cars have a BMW engine in them). 730ds are seriously quick through the gears, as I found out recently:D!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

This thread reminds me of the old joke about the expensive boutique that doesn't display prices on goods.
    "if you need to ask, you can't afford it"

It's not a ride I'd buy and then worry about fuel economy:D

keving wrote: »
    Hi all, I had the same problem. The RX400H is most def the smarter buy, but the Range Rover Sport looks so much better. I hope the new 400H is improved in that department, especially at the front.
    I ended up going with the 400H and am waiting for it to land (prob next week) in the dealer. The problem I have now is that I dont want Black or Silver (most are) so the dealer is bringing a red/wine one in for me, which I can decide not to take if I dont like the colour. Have any of you seen this colour yet ?
    If it turns out to be a non runner I think I'll just get the Sport (Rimni red with tan L). Normally when it comes to buying cars I have no problem making up my mind, but this is a strange one because the two really are so very different. Then there is the VRT, tax, and price changes in June to take into account (Head wrecker!).
    Also I was talking to the Lexus dealer today and he tells me that the road tax situation has changed and if I tax the car when I get it until June, then re tax it the rate will have droped 400/500 euro a year. Anyone hear about this ?
    It would be great to hear any thoughts you may have ?

Thanks in advance

I ended up buying an 07 RX400h and am getting it next week. Lovely drive. As for the burgandy colour, its a new colour out this week and I seen one in Hogan's, Galway yesterday. Its lovely and reallly suits it. Best of luck with the buy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Bought a 400h myself and awaiting delivery. New model will arrive next Spring with a new hefty price tag so buying the current model doesn't bother me too much. Spec wise nothing out there touches it for the money.

On another note I read that all current US 2008 models are shipped with the 3.5 not the 3.3 engine, new blue hybrid bages, plates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Anyone else have any thoughts ? time to decide is nearly here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

For a similarily equipped RR sport you will have to opt for the HSE, which will cost you quite a bit. In that price bracket you will have to opt for the 2.7d which is very sluggish.

No doubt the RR is way better looking, but unless you want to dig deep for the V8 I would avoid it.

Advertisement