Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to read kanji using laptop

Options
  • 27-01-2008 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

こんばんは、

I've been using laptop to write japanese this way,
    ctrl+shift: brings up japanese thing with red circle, then
    shift+caps lock: enables writing in hiragana

i've used another computer in work however that i can press a button while a kanji is highlighted and it brings up the the list of other kanji that have the same spelling and gives the hiragana reading of the kanji. i don't know how to do this on my laptop though so its pretty annoying not being able to get the furigana of the kanji. does anyone know how to this?
    in short i dont know how to get the hiragan of kanji quicky on the keyboard.

よろしくおねがいしますよ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Sounds like there might be some piece of software on your work computer that's not on your laptop. Check with whoever set up your work computer, you might be able to get a copy of the software.

If you're looking for a browser-based dictionary/lookup tool, check out the 'rikaichan' and 'moji' plugins for Firefox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

恥じまして

You need to install that IME pad for windows, you just select say japanese then type away in ひらがな and when you get a word typed in hit space to chose a whole list of different meanings and/or kanji equivalent for what you just typed.
    だいじょおぶ よ!

じゃまった 

エリックさん

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

legs11 wrote: »
    恥じまして

You need to install that IME pad for windows, you just select say japanese then type away in ひらがな and when you get a word typed in hit space to chose a whole list of different meanings and/or kanji equivalent for what you just typed.
    だいじょおぶ よ!

じゃまった 

エリックさん

Thanks for the replies!
    Cheers Eric but i don't think you understood what i was asking, i can type the kanji no problem, its turning the kanji back into hiragana thats the problem!
    and by the way, i think you were trying to write ''始めまして'' (はじめまして)、 what you actually wrote means ''be ashamed!'' :)!
    I've found one way to solve the problem, if you copy the kanji into ms word and turn japanese pad on, then highlight the kanji and press spacebar it can convert it back into hiragana. this way is a bit of annoying though, I'm pretty sure there is a way to do by pressing a key i just dont know how to set it up.

Advertisement