Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Itucd

• 27-01-2008 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

What are the IT dept at UCD like. Are they any good? What do they do? Do they just fix connection problems or do they do hardware and software problems also?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

They oversee all aspects of IT in UCD.

They generally will have a go at a lot of things for you, I know they completely reinstalled my friends OS and Office for here twice when her PC went completely mad.

They also deal with the whole connection thing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It depends really on who you deal with. There are a few really good people in UCD's main IT support who will really go the extra mile to get an unusual setup working. Some don't care and only know what's on the support website. So it's luck of the draw.

At the decision making level there's a distinct lack of real knowledge. They respond well to marketing gimmicks by suppliers and as a result we've ended up with a mess in some parts of the IT. However it pales in comparison to the way Trinity's internet policies are made and implemented so we should be thankful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

My uncle works for the ucd IT dept. and i know that they
    are allowed to do alot of things but there is a list of things
    that they are not allowed to do that are decided by UCD,
    so they will help you with most things but some things they
    are required to just tell you to bring it to where you bought
    it from and get them to fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭MistressPandora

There's certain things we can and can't do for students. Sadly, we can only reinstall OS for staff only (have to say that before students get angry at us for not doing it for their laptops!) and there's certain issues we do not touch at all, like broken hardware etc.
    My suggestion is to go in and ask what we can and can't do, each centre has a list. (Should do anyway.)

Also, don't forget there's more than just 1 IT centre, there's a few strewn around campus!

Advertisement