Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can this be fixed

• 27-01-2008 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

looking at a pc yesterday, it works fine, but when you try to intall things it just gives an error installing software

installed
    windows installer 3.1
    firefox
    avg free
    avg anti rootkit
    ie 7 installed fully, but wont open webpages

failed to install
    java
    nortan antivirus

when i try windows update i get an error saying files need to be registered
    when i try the firefox windows update it says that i need no updates

i renamed the catroot2 folder
    registered the dlls on this page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
    used autoruns to kill all non-ms programs

normally i'd just rebuild the pc, but its in a shop and is hooked up to the cash registers

any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Hmm i'd be looking in the system logs and install logs from java and norton for clues. The install logs are usually in the temp directory. Beyond that i'd say it sounds like some system files are corrupt/missing/not registered. The fact that IE won't open/WU message looks like it could be a missing dll issue to me. If you can find out the files that are missing it may be fixable.

Does windows update even work in firefox, it used to be IE only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

rkm wrote: »
    Hmm i'd be looking in the system logs and install logs from java and norton for clues. The install logs are usually in the temp directory. Beyond that i'd say it sounds like some system files are corrupt/missing/not registered. The fact that IE won't open/WU message looks like it could be a missing dll issue to me. If you can find out the files that are missing it may be fixable..

will look at them on monday, thanks

Does windows update even work in firefox, it used to be IE only.

there is a website called something like windoze update that works for firefox
    edit here it is http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/

forgot to mention the event viewer is full of errors but i cant view them, nothing happens when i try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I would highly recommend using the system file checker

sfc /scannow

from the command line

Make sure you have a xp cd, if it finds system files missing it may ask for the cd

I would highly recommend using the system file checker

sfc /scannow

from the command line

Make sure you have a xp cd, if it finds system files missing it may ask for the cd

thanks, but i forgot to mention that i ran that too, think i am out of options, will try to figure out how to get it rebuilt the way it was

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I take it you've tried system restore too ?

try update.microsoft.com instead of windowsupdate - but shouldn't make a difference

you could try officeupdate.microsoft com too for the laugh

I really hate when windowsupdate breaks - because there isn't a fool proof way of getting it working again.

• Advertisement

I take it you've tried system restore too ?

try update.microsoft.com instead of windowsupdate - but shouldn't make a difference

you could try officeupdate.microsoft com too for the laugh

I really hate when windowsupdate breaks - because there isn't a fool proof way of getting it working again.

thanks cap't , didnt try system restore, i never use it, i'll make a ghost image first

Advertisement