Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bearded dragon

Options
  • 27-01-2008 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me if 250 euro is a good price to pay for a 2yr old beardie? I live in the country and can''t get them down here, but i know a guy selling one for this price, sounds kinda expensive to me! :eek: I already have a large tank, so it's just for the beardie! :confused: Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

For just the beardies?? Thats a high price from a private seller. Do you know what sex it is and whether it has been bred before. I believe that even at shop prices, you can get an adult for around 200. I'd expect a private seller to be cheaper than a shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Very very expensive IMO, you'd be better off spending a little money on a bus ticket to Dublin and going to Reptile Haven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭lulubell

yeah, i was thinking that! It's a female and it's not been bred before!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭catyb20

i agree, go to dublin, the bf got a baby one just outside dublin for 100e....pretty good price. havent a clue if its male or female though!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

fintastic aquatics in dunlaoighaire have some around 8 to 11 inches for 95 euro

check out there website

www.fintasticaquatics.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭Duff

Thats very very expensive, my 3 cost me 65 each!..shop around somemore. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭flynnc

i got mine last week mcelheron reptiles for 75.00 on the quays in Dublin it would be worth the trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

lulubell wrote: »
    yeah, i was thinking that! It's a female and it's not been bred before!:rolleyes:

The reason it's so expensive could be because it's an adult female. 85% of the Beardys sold in petshops are male, the commercial suppliers/breeders incubate the eggs at certain temperatures to ensure a higher yeild of males, as they don't want anyone breeding them themselves.

I would pay 200 max for a female adult that has bred before unless it was a particularly exceptional animal, a rare colour morph for instance, And thats only as a breeder.

For a pet I think 250 is very expensive, and If you don't know anything about herps I would recommend buying a reptile from a reputable store like reptile Havan as they can provide valid care info and you can be assured the animal is in good health.

If you do decide to purchase this Beardy make sure you ask the seller these questions:

1: Have you been feeding a calcium/Phospherous supplement to the beardy and how often do you do this?

The answer you want here is yes, every second feeding up untill the animal was sexually mature and then slowed it down to about 3 times a week.

2:What kind of veg have you fed the animal and how often?

If she's not being fed Veg at this stage (2 years old) then you will have to get the animal eating 70 - 80% veg asap, high protien diets greatly shorten a bearded dragons lifespan. If he says he's been feeding the beardy Cabbage, Lettuce, peas, carrots etc then this is also bad as all these are bad for a beardy, very bad. The best answer he can give you is yes I am feeding veg, Spinach, Kale, Courgette, Dandylion greens and flowers, Rocket, Chickery, collard greens, Mustard green, Turnip greens. This is perfect diet for a bearded dragon adult.

3: By what means is he determining the sex?

Bearded dragons are notoriously difficult to accuratly sex unless manual eversion of the hemipines is applied or the animal is viewed by an experienced herper. If he is not a reptile expert then I would be hard pressed to believe he could easliy sex a bearded dragon.

Best thing you can do is ring reptile village (The reptile zoo) in Kilkenny and arrange for you and the seller to bring the beardy down to the zoo and let someone evaluate it's sex and health before purchasing, and if you have not yet read a book on bearded dragon care then thats another thing that has to happen asap as reptiles have special requirements that require further study and research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭daauneal

SaxoDuff wrote: »
    Thats very very expensive, my 3 cost me 65 each!..shop around somemore. :)

I got mine for the same price, too many people are willing to be ripped off. I heard Ben in reptile haven give the same price to someone for an juvie as for baby before , he said to her "they cost the same for me, so they cost the same for you" I'm sure he could give you a good price and PLENTY of advice for your new beardie as well .

Advertisement