Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic overlclocking

• 27-01-2008 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭

Wouldn't mind having a PC that runs a bit faster so would like to give basic overclocking a go.

I know a small bit about computers but nothing about overclocking, anyone able to give me advice on where to start? Ideally I'd like to play games a bit better.

My Dxdiag if it helps:

System Information
    Dell pc
    5600+
    Cista premium
    1gb ram
    8600gt
    <snip>

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

wow, nice post^^

Anyway as far as I know, you cant overclock Dells as the BIOS is locked on them. I could be wrong though, Im sure some of the others will clarify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ouch, my eyes

Forget about overclocking, its a Dell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

jaysus...thats alot of txt....

can he not oc the 8600gt with rivatuner lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

jaysus...thats alot of txt....

can he not oc the 8600gt with rivatuner lads?

yeah he could. but im sure the dell mobo will still limit the performance in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You don't need to oc that cpu, it's perfectly fast as it is - what you do need, is more ram, urgently. Vista Premium+1gb Ram....:eek:

that's probably what's affecting whatever games you play, the 8600Gt isn't a great card but still capable of playing most games at higher settings at semi-decent resolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

HavoK wrote: »
    You don't need to oc that cpu, it's perfectly fast as it is - what you do need, is more ram, urgently. Vista Premium+1gb Ram....:eek:

that's probably what's affecting whatever games you play, the 8600Gt isn't a great card but still capable of playing most games at higher settings at semi-decent resolution.

Thanks for the help folks.

Havok, anywhere you'd reccomend in Ireland/ websites to buy RAM?

Sorry about the long post:p
    Thought I might be asked for a dxdiag so put it in to give away all my stats.

Just outta curiosity, what does the RAM do for games and such (as in what bonuses would having more RAM give me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

More ram will dramatically improve game performance. When the system runs out of fast memory (ram) it starts using slow memory (hard disk). Performance really suffers at this point.

www.memoryc.com are Irish and offer fast delivery or pickup (from somewhere in Kildare...Naas or somewhere near there methinks).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Crucial are also very competitive for ram prices and do very speedy delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Hope you dont mind me editing your post to take out some of the non essential info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Anti wrote: »
    Hope you dont mind me editing your post to take out some of the non essential info.

No it's fine,

Thanks a million folks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement